Author Topic: hard to put down for naps?  (Read 955 times)

Offline duoduo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 23, 2014, 23:50:30 pm »
my boy is 8-week-old, in daytime, from 9:00am~9:00pm, hard to put him down form naps, have to hold him for a long time, more than 15mins? and he would only sleep 2~15mins on bed then cry, then he wakes up or need holding for sleeping again. what can I do to help him has longer naps?

it might be too early to question his naps, but just want o be precaution, to help him establish good habit for future.

he sleeps better in rock chair, but my concern is: is it ok to sleep on rock chair for all his naps? because his body likes U when sleeping in rock chair, don't know if it's good/healthy for his spine? and if he is used to rock chair, he might not want to sleep on bed because it's flat?

help and thx.

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 13:44:05 pm »
As you indicate yourself, 8 weeks old is still very young so I wouldn't worry too much yet, but I would ask one or two questions. 

Is there any possibility that he has reflux? Discomfort lying down/being more comfort upright being held or in a swing would be indicators. Just have a look here:
Reflux checklist for parents and Drs

The other thing that occurs to me is that he may have a sensitive personality.  My LO1 was a touchy baby and needed lots of help to relax enough to sleep for the first few months of his life.  I spent A LOT of time sh-patting and so on, it really paid off as he did learn to sleep independently really well by the time he was 5 or 6 mos.  Have a look at this little quiz and see if it offers any insight:
The BW "Know Your Baby Quiz"
The Five Types - Everyday Moments
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline duoduo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 04:15:18 am »
thank u for prompt reply and useful links, just too busy to sit down and write something.
Checked the reflux checklist, my DS did have some feeding symptoms as listed, such as:
-  pulling away and arching their back, fighting or pulling off the breast or bottle, pushing the breast/bottle away, stiffening up, squirming
- Crying/screaming during or after feeds
- Refusal to feed or only taking small amounts despite being hungry
- Feeding only when drowsy or asleep

But it’s getting much better now, I wish I got this checklist earlier when he was 4~6-week-old.
About his sleep symptoms, he has almost all of them:
- Catnapping during the day (half an hour, even not 45 mins)
- Difficulty settling (need holding most of the time)
- Frequent night waking (wake up every 1.5 hours ~ 2.5 hours!!!)
- Restless or easily disturbed sleep
- Preferring to be upright/may object to lying down

and I tried to tip his head higher when putting him down, but no luck until late afternoon, 4:00pm, maybe just because he is tired, even that time, he can only sleep no longer than half hour.
His nap problem already ruins the entire EASY, I am trying 3 hours EASY, but for every cycle, I spend almost all my time holding him, helping him to have a nap, he would wake up and cry couple minutes after put down, I have to pick him up shu/pat again, and it’s time to eat, after eating, starting another cycle put down, failed, pick up, calm him down.
So if he does have reflux, what can I do? Go to see doctor? Or there is something I can try home? When can I expect his nap will get better? 3 months? 4 months or 8 months?  knowing the  deadline makes me feel better.
Thanks.

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 20:21:55 pm »
If you think he has reflux, take him to the doctor, yes.  If he can't sleep in day or night time, that's a serious problem for a baby, yk?  There are things you can try at home, I think.  I'd recommend having a look at the reflux board.  I'm afraid I have no personal experience of it. 

Colic, Reflux, & Crying
Sleep and the reflux baby

I would stop worrying about props for now.  Until you figure out what's going on, the priority should be to avoid OT, so hold him, use a sling or carrier, put him in the special chair, whatever helps him to get a bit more sleep. 
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline duoduo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 16:56:27 pm »
thank u for more info, appreciate it.