Author Topic: Transition from crib to bed  (Read 1059 times)

Offline roxy0609

• 4 Babes in 3 years!!!
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My 4 Rug Rats!!!
Transition from crib to bed
« on: September 07, 2006, 11:34:09 am »
I am at my wits end...and very EXHAUSTED  :( Any suggestions would be wonderful. I am currently 6  1/2 months pregnant with twins and have a 2 1/2 year old I'm desperately trying to transition to a BIG BOY BED to refrain from having 3 cribs in the house soon. He LOVES cars so we have purchased a car bed for DS...The problem began with getting him to sleep... I have to lye beside or on DS bed the first nite for around an hour...second night about 30 minutes...third night maybe 10-15 minutes...NOT too bad we are making progress...the problem however is that he cant seem to make it past 3 am until he wakes in a fright screaming and only way to console him is having him sleep between DH and myself...which would normally not be a problem but since 2 more are on the way I don't think is a good habit to get started.. SO i usually break at about 15-20 minutes of frantic screaming afraid DS will awake DH ( who wakes early enough to go to work) and sleep him on the couch beside me...which also a bad habit to get into but I don't have any other ideas seeing that hes terrified to go back to his big boy bed. Any suggestions or ideas as to why he's waking nightly at this horrid hour would be great...before the transition he would go down at 7 pm and If I was running late for dinner he would tell me "Mama nite nite" and put himself to sleep. Never did he awake until 830-9 am which was great..I'm beginning to get so frustrated I almost assembled his crib AGAIN
Dalton-March 28th, 2004- 9.12 lbs
Ashton-December 8th, 2006- 6.15 lbs
Brianne-December 8th, 2006- 5.0 lbs
Landon-December 12th, 2007- 7.14 lbs
(That\'s it for me, Unless miraculous conception happens!!! Both DH and I are neutered ;-)

Offline Sylvia.

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 232
Re: Transition from crib to bed
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 11:48:56 am »
we get our bed delievered tomorrow for dd1, i have no advise, so sorry, i hope you get some good advise

Offline Jenn©

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 13:40:25 pm »
No ideas, but a great big hug!!  Congrats on your twins!
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Showing Appreciation 49
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 14:03:40 pm »
Was he excited about the big boy bed?

What about putting his cot back and going back to square one for a few weeks - since he's got used to sleeping with you, I doubt that will be plain sailing but you'd be back to where you started.

Then what we did is have both the cot and the bed in the room - very squashed but only temporary.  Then I would ask where he wanted to sleep and nap two he chose the big boy bed.  He's actually slept better than ever.

Another suggestion would be to have a bed next to him in his room for a while and gradually work your way out of his room rather than bring him into yours.
Jenny

Offline Catharine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 18:33:03 pm »
Hi,

We did our transition 12 days ago so will share our experience & thoughts while it’s still fresh.

My dd has been sleeping on a sofa bed (fold out mattress on the floor) for about 4 months and we had to lie with her until she fell asleep (takes between 30-60mins) & creep out of the room in the dark!!! We tried to gradually move away from the bed, and instead of lying, we would sit beside her, but it all made it worst. She knew that we were trying to "leave" her so would cling onto us when she was sleeping, and we could see that her grip got tight every time we moved an inch.

We decided that enough was enough plus a baby on the way as well, so we went out and bought her a "big girl's bed". We made a big deal about it, went shopping for the bed and bedding so she was every excited.

We told her that the sofa bed was broken and that the new bed is a special bed for big girls only, also it was too small for us to lie in it. We also started a new routine: clean teeth, bedtime stories, let her choose a favorite toy to sleep with, cuddle, kiss & hugs, turn off lights & leave the room straight away.

A few things I've done that seems to work for us:

1. Before I start the last story, I tell her what is going to happen after the story is finished: cuddle & kiss, sleep on her own while I will go downstairs and that she's a big girl now so there is no need to cry because I’m right downstairs.

2. While we are cuddling, I would again tell her that she is a big girl now & big girls sleep by themselves, how proud I am of her, and that her favorite toy will look after her while she sleeps.

3. The next morning, when I wake her, I would say how proud I am of her for sleeping on her own and also, in front of her, make a big deal of telling people we knew.

4. While I'm reading or if I see anything relevant during the day, I would point out pictures of kids with their own beds & reinforce how she is a big girl just like them with their own beds.

It sound tedious but its better than having to regress to those horrible nights again.

Did it go smoothly from day 1? No, it was rough for a week and I started to think that its too traumatic for her.

She would cling on to me for dear life (knowing what's going to happen next) and cried while I separate myself from her, turn off the light & leave the room. However the crying only continued for less than a minute and she's all quiet.

She was waking up very early; it used to be between 6.30-7am, now she starts to stir between 5-5.30am and is wide awake by 5.45am.

Did it get better? Yes!!!

The last five days has been great, doesn’t cling on to me too much, and there is minimal or no crying when I leave the room. She is also sleeping better: not a sound until 6-6.30am.

Now she tells me that I should be very proud of her for sleeping on her own. At night she tells me that I'm going to be downstairs while she sleeps. :-)

Why did it work? I think it was because I was extremely consistent & strongly believed that any slight regression to old habits or new bad habits would come back to haunt me when the baby arrives, and I would not be able to physically or mentally deal with it.

The screaming is proabably because of the transition, but hang in there & don't regress back into the crib. It might be a separation or security issue, so give lot of cuddles & reassurance and he's safe & looked after. Try the WI/WO method, don't start any new habits you aren't prepared to continue. Work on it now while you physically can.

Good luck & keep us posted.
Cheers,

Catharine

Offline roxy0609

• 4 Babes in 3 years!!!
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My 4 Rug Rats!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 21:02:54 pm »
Thank you so much Catharine...I'm defiantly going to attempt this tonight, The only difference is you mentioned how your DD talks...my DS does not...I'm almost positive he understands everything I say..so it should still hopefully work:) Also he will NOT lie still while I read him a story it actually seems to get him hyped up. I will follow your directions and substitute reading for another wined down activity. At this point I about to try anything...I'm far to big and uncomfortable to be sleeping on the floor and have a hell of a time sneaking out of the room quietly when it takes me 20 minutes to get to my feet while grunting and groaning lol. I will keep you posted on how DS does with this but it all sounds good to me ;D
Dalton-March 28th, 2004- 9.12 lbs
Ashton-December 8th, 2006- 6.15 lbs
Brianne-December 8th, 2006- 5.0 lbs
Landon-December 12th, 2007- 7.14 lbs
(That\'s it for me, Unless miraculous conception happens!!! Both DH and I are neutered ;-)

Offline Sylvia.

• Showing Appreciation 232
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 23:03:08 pm »
great advise, we start tonight