Author Topic: 10 month old takes FOREVER to fall asleep  (Read 1000 times)

Offline michcabby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
10 month old takes FOREVER to fall asleep
« on: March 11, 2014, 22:31:06 pm »
So we started PUPD when little one was 6 months. She can put herself to sleep without tears, but that's not our problem. Our problem is that she will goof off and stall sleep as long as possible. Tracy Hogg said for this age group to remain in the room as long as it takes for LO to fall asleep. If LO sits up/stands to lay them back down. That's what I do.. But sometimes for up to an hour or longer. LO thinks it's funny and fights sleep. If I leave the room she's hysterical.

She's up at 7am, naps for 45m-1hr at 10, then goes for another 1.5hr nap at 2, then bedtime at 7. She's tired , rubbing her eyes, snuggling, TIRED when I put her down. I'm sure to catch her "sleep window". Still, she'll fight me for over an hour sometimes. I might mention she fits the "spirited baby" description to a T.

DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. I'm so frustrated I'm one day away from letting her CIO.

Offline Violet's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
Re: 10 month old takes FOREVER to fall asleep
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 23:19:04 pm »
Hugs for the tough bedtime!

When you say she gets hysterical when you start to leave the room - have you actually left the room?  My LO would put up a good fight at this age and I would say it's night night time good night sleep tight as I was walking out and the minute I shut the door the complaining would stop.  Or if she carried on I would soothe her with my voice (sing a lullaby) through a crack in the door.

If you have left the room, is it well after you put her in the crib?  I would try to do leave the room immediately.  But we don't recommend cry it out...  Hang in there it will get easier!!!

Also, you could try a later BT if you think it might help. She might be an 11 hr night baby.  Or try switching around her naps - see below!
From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

**Tracy**

Offline michcabby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 02:39:40 am »
Thank you so much for the response!

I've tried both standing near the door and fully leaving/closing the door behind me- both reap the same result :( she starts the moment she sees me leave the room.

I've read up on the 2-1 nap transition, and I don't think LO is anywhere near ready for one nap. She definitely needs the two, she just fights them with all her might ;)

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 03:49:58 am »
I agree with pp, she may need a little more A (you mentioned she fights naps too?). You could try working towards 3.5hrs A before morning nap, before afternoon nap and 4hrs before bedtime to see if that helps?

So aim for something like this:
7am - wake
10.30-11.15 - morning nap (I would wake her 45mins)
2.30ish - 4ish - afternoon nap
7ish - bedtime

She may not be ready for 1 nap but she's heading in that direction and often cutting daytime sleep and adding more A is necessary. My LO is only about 11hrs at night too (unless I let her sleep longer in the afternoon, in which case our nights are even shorter).

Hth :)

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline michcabby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 17:54:49 pm »
Thank you! I've tried that exact schedule you've proposed, she will still fight it :( she also sleeps 11 at night so I don't know that I want to cut anymore off.

Offline cadumg

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 14:56:13 pm »
My boy has also the same problem. He is tired, but don't want to sleep. It seems that he don't want to loose time sleeping.

Offline michcabby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 21:29:39 pm »
Glad but not glad to know someone's in the same boat :/

Offline nevinsmama

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 01:15:01 am »
How are things going? How long did you give the schedule that Layla advised to "settle in?" This is definitely a "transition" and not just a jump to 1 nap, keep us posted!

Maryn

[/url]