Author Topic: Is this normal  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Grace's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
Is this normal
« on: July 09, 2006, 16:43:21 pm »
Just curious...is it normal for our lo's to have some days where they don't drink as much?  Mine usually drinks 4oz at a time and lately she has been drinking 2oz. It is usually in the morning/ early afternoon times where she doesn't drink as much.  At night she is doing fine. Just wondering if this is normal for them to do once in awhile?

Thanks.
Melissa
I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/

Offline GabrielleD

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
Re: Is this normal
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 16:47:54 pm »
I think it's perfectly normal - DS usually cuts back on his feeding if the weather is really hot. Once we turn the AC on and the house cools down for a bit, he's back to his usual amounts.

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 16:50:15 pm »
Seems normal in my house.  Ewan did it when he was younger and now Bram does the same.  I don't worry so much about the early in the day ones, it is the bedtime bottle that I really want him to drink lots and he does. ;D

Offline shanaz

• Shanaz
  • Showing Appreciation 20
  • Seren - the glamour girl!
    • Shanaz John - Childminder
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 19:27:49 pm »
Hey Melissa

How much does Grace weigh?  Seren weighs 13 lbs and doesn't take much more than 4 / 4.5 oz in an average feed but she will also sometimes take a small amount, especially 1st feed.  I'm glad I'm not the only one with this happening as I was getting a bit worried.  She supposedly should be taking an average of 32.5 fl ozs a day for her weight but we're lucky if she takes a total of 26.  How long does Grace feed for?  Seren probably only feeds in a straight run for about 5 - 10 mins (if we're lucky  ::)) then she fusses the bottle for a further 15 - 20 mins.  It makes feed times very frustrating so I now tend to stop after 30 mins unless she has taken very little.

Hope you are well

Shanaz
Mummy:  Shanaz
Daddy:  Phil
Squirrel:  Seren

Offline Grace's Mom

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 19:58:46 pm »
Grace weighs about 13 pounds.  She has only drunken up to 24-26 oz a day at most since about one month old, usually less.  She just doesn't require that much food.  When we try to give her more she spits up more.  Since she started drinking less it has taken her longer to eat.  Last week it was taking her 5 minutes to drink a 4oz bottle  :o  soooo fast. I am sure she is fine.  She is happy so maybe it is just a few day phase???? 

I have to go get her...she hasn't done well this nap period.  She only slept for 30 minutes and hasn't gone back to sleep since...she hasn't been crying just won't fall asleep fully.  Tonight should be fun  ::)

Melissa

Grace April 2006

Offline Grace's Mom

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 00:11:27 am »
Well, after she drank the last few bottles we have given her she has pretty much spit up everthing she has taken in (still not a full bottle - 1/2 to 1/3 down).  She is already on special spit up formula and is on medicine for her acid reflux.  I wonder why the spit up is randomly starting up again. I feel so bad for her. After we gave her a bath before bed, she threw up 3 more times.  :'(

I wonder what's going on?

Melissa

Grace April 2006

Offline lisamichel

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 16:37:13 pm »
Just peeking in on this post and thank goodness Im not the only one having this problem also.   My darling little daughter weighs about 15lbs and she is 7 months old and I have a really hard time getting her to drink her formula!  Especially at daycare,   She usually only drinks 4-7 oz the entire day at daycare and usually drinks a total of 18-23oz for the day which is fine,  but she tends to totally pig out when she gets home and drinks 6 or 7oz bottles before bedtime.   I wish I could get her to drink more during the day but we have tired endlessly to get her to do it.   She always usually makes her quota for the day,  but most of it is done in the evening.          Lisa

Offline jumblebox

• Lisa (Rilen's mom)
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
  • water fun!
    • RilenBlog
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 15:25:22 pm »
Our DS stopped eating as much at feedings around 2.5-3 mo. First, we tried the next stage nipples (helped for 2-3 days), various teething meds (was showing teething symptoms), finally had to move to 4 hr EASY, as he just would not eat until 4 hrs from last feed.

The past few days, he's been doing it again. Yesterday, he only ate 22oz in 8 feeding attempts, versus his usual 30-33oz in 5 feedings. We're hoping it's just due to the currently horrible hot/humid weather we're having. We stay indoors, in a/c, but maybe he still notices? As long as he acts fairly normally, and has normal energy levels and responses, we try not to worry too much, although it can be incredibly frustrating to offer him a 7 oz bottle and only have him eat 2-3 oz!
- Lisa (37)
DP=darling boyfriend/partner=Shane (26)
LO/DS= Rilen Christopher (Spirited: 3/21/06)
St Louis, MO US

Offline linfran

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 20:27:25 pm »
My ds does this too.  Some days he eats all round him (20lbs 20z at 19 weeks!) and others he's not bothered as much but I reckon as long as he gains weight healthily then it all balances out in the end.

Offline Grace's Mom

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 10:57:32 am »
Just an update...things are going very well.  She is eating fine and spiting up once in awhile, but things are good.

Thank you.

Grace April 2006