Author Topic: Help 7 week od suddenly gone way off!!  (Read 892 times)

Offline Sarabob

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 16, 2012, 22:07:18 pm »
Help!!!

My 7 week old DS and I have gone way off and I know most problems are down to the act we have somehow (I think a growth spurt) have got to needing a feed every 1-2 hours!!!!

He did feed every 3 pretty much bedtime was pretty perfect
But now

- feed every 1-2 hrs ( I knw it's just snacking)
- naps are rubbish 45min at very most
- activity time spent grumpy
- struggles to go back to sleep after 3/4am feed
- bad wind wakes him up

Tonight he woke up at 9pm and won't go back to sleep (it's now 10pm) ths is not like him his nighs were so very good!
Fast sleep by 8pm at very latest, feed at 10/11pm 1/2am 3/4am wake at 6.30/7am

How on earth do I get him back on track!!! Where do I start???

I struggle making him go longer between feeds ... Is it ok to do this to break the cycle if snacking???

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Help 7 week od suddenly gone way off!!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 08:50:28 am »
Oh honey!! Look- i think i'll move this over to night waking as that seems like your most pressing issue.. :(
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 10:10:25 am »
Hugs - Its tough when things go from good to not so great.

How are you feeding? If BFing - wondering if you have a fast letdown: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/? This actually can cause lots of issues with sleep and leaves a lot of gas trapped in LO's gut and is quite painful. DS had terrible gas from my fast letdown and would often root for a feed an hour or two after a feed because sucking will start up the reflex that pushes everything along the gut and relieves the gas the most painless way possible. I had to pump DS' legs and keep feeds at least 3hr apart for a day or two. Also lying back to feed helped to reduce the flow a little because it was going against gravity: http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/
If he's mainly struggling with gas after that 3/4am feed, that could be that you're engorged as that's in the middle of the prime milk-making time for your body.

How long is he awake before a nap? Is there any way that works to get him to nap longer, like does he sleep for longer than 45min if he's lying beside you or on you? What about a pram/carrier? You may have to do whatever you have to, to keep him well rested for the next few days - if he gets too overtired, he will wake from that as well as the gas.

Offline Sarabob

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 16:09:34 pm »
Thank you so much!!! yes I'm EBF expressing for 1/2feeds a day

All this rang so true with me! I have an extremely strong let down! We get into a right mess sometimes!! It all makes sense now.

Thankyou.

Really tried today to keep the feeds 3hrs apart all but made most if them but because he feeds within 15min it's tough.

We had some longer sleeps today because DH was home so I made him keep hold of DS for some of his sleeps then we took him out for his long 2hr nap in the pram and we made it to 1hr40min! Yeay!!

Poor little guy does trump an grunt an awful lot.

Crossing my fingers for tonight as last night was terrible!!!

P.S i don't use a dummy but think I may have to if it helps his pain old just use it for that night wakeing though!!!

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 00:39:43 am »
Ok, sounded a lot like what happened to me and my little guy at 6 weeks. Wondering if you have an oversupply along with your overactive letdown? How are his poos - colour, consistency?

Dummy has been a lifesaver for us (intro'd at 3 days), don't hold it in his mouth - let him spit it out if he wants to so you run a lesser risk of it becoming a prop. Really think about it before you do though - Tracy's advice was not to introduce a dummy after 2 months.