Author Topic: ready for self feeding - please advise  (Read 622 times)

Offline lilisuze

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 46
« on: June 15, 2009, 11:39:29 am »
Help! I am so stressed over my lo eating savoury food.

Our weaning was going really well from 17 weeks old. He is now 8 months, and things are going from bad to worse on the veg front.

He will eat weetabix or baby rice with fruit puree in the morning (and a lot of it, about 4oz sometimes more)
He will eat fruit puree, or mashed fruits all day every day without stopping!!

We are on 3 meals a day now breakfast, lunch and tea and 3 milk feeds at 7am 2pm and 7pm. He is STTN.

He will eat butternut squash, sweet potato and normal potato. And chicken/beef if pureed into one of those 3. And other veggies if hidden in these 3, but only with fruit puree added.

I am concerned that he is getting to only eat sweet things and need advice how to stop this in its tracks before i do irrepairable damage.

He has reflux, on domperidone and ranitidine. He eats any meal (jar/homemade) with gusto for about 6 spoonfuls then turns away. If i was to offer him fruit at this time, he would eat that fine.

I dont heat anything now, because i though maybe that was the difference, but no - we are still fighting!!

Is he ready for self feeding? he does really well if i give him something to chew on, and i can spoon the mashed stuff in while he doesnt notice

Help me

Lili xx
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 11:07:49 am by lilisuze »
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline lilisuze

Re: ready for self feeding - please advise
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 17:55:31 pm »
bumping - anyone there? could really do with some advice

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 18:01:25 pm »
Have you offered him any finger foods? I found that at that age -- and ever since -- DS is pretty determined to eat anything in any form that he can other than a spoon. If he can't pick it up he prefers to put it on the tray and lean forward and eat it with his mouth (like a dog) rather than eat from a spoon  ::) 

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 18:41:03 pm »
Alex will only eat from a spoon if I give him his own spoon to play with  ::)
]

Offline lilisuze

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 09:02:35 am »
thanks. I am trying to use a selection of things for him to try, spoon, finger food (grapes, banana, corn crisps) and then spoon in the mush whenever theres an opportunity. I'm glad to know that other people have the same bother.

Is it because he likes the breakfast cereal and fruit puree that he takes these nicely from a spoon kinda like " i'm not missing out on this nice stuff so i'll eat it from the spoon"???????

Thanks for your replies

Lili xx