Author Topic: 11mo gone wonky - help please! Long, sorry  (Read 972 times)

Offline linfran

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
11mo gone wonky - help please! Long, sorry
« on: January 22, 2007, 21:16:34 pm »
DS is 11mo.  Up until last week he was sleeping 11-12 hours at night.  He has always been a good eater and sleeper but is now waking during the night wanting another bottle.

He is coming round to dropping a nap and somedays will have two shorter naps or else will have a 2-2.5 hour nap mid-morning.

His routine is

Up at 7.00, breakfast consisting of 7oz bottle, porridge and half a slice of toast.  Dressed, then off to nursery.

He has toast at 10am then lunch at 12.15 (or later if he is sleeping).  This can be pasta or casserole followed by a dessert such as yoghurt or fruit.  He has another bottle at around 2.30pm (7oz) and a snack (such as a cheese stick) and has his dinner at 5.30, similar to lunch.

Bathtime is 6.45pm followed by bottle in the darkened nursery, cuddle, then bed.  He has no problems falling asleep.

However, he had an ear infection a couple of weeks ago which I think was related to teething (OMG the drool has got to be seen to be believed).  He also has a cough which seems to hurt him but for the most part isn't waking him at night.  We have tried adjusting the temperature of his room, but for the last 4-5 nights he has been waking and sitting up in the cot, crying hard.  I have tried offering him a paci (he gets one when he goes to bed but if it falls out it doesn't bother him) and he has three little toy doggies which he cuddles up to.

He is still eating but I can see that his gums are annoying him.  I am concerned that this night feed is becoming a habit but when I give him the bottle (I don't interact with him and put him back in his cot and he'll go back to sleep) he will take about 4oz so I think he is hungry.

I just don't want to be going down the road of accidental parenting but I can't give him anymore food during the day - I don't know where he'd put it!

Anyone have any sggestions?  Please?!

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
Re: 11mo gone wonky - help please! Long, sorry
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 00:14:42 am »
Sorry, not a big help, but what about making sure his dinner has lots of meat/protein which is more sustaining than fruit/veggies/carbs?  You wouldn't necessarily have to give more food (unless he wants it) but maybe add more protein.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 16:26:45 pm »
I agree, he may need more protein in his diet.

Have you treated the teething at all?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline linfran

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 19:46:29 pm »
We've been using bonjela and Calpol for the teeth.

He also eats either chicken or beef once a day (sometimes twice) and also can get ham sandwiches or cheese as a snack.

Last night was better - in bed at 7.15, woke with a stinker of a nappy at 4.30 and settled after a five minute cuddle and a paci.  He didn't want his bottle even though I made one up after he continued to cry but the paci was enough.  He was awake when I put him back in the cot but fell asleep again until 7.50am.

He has had a temperature today in nursery so maybe something is building on him.

Thank you both for your replies.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 20:34:52 pm »
There has been some terrible bugs going around this year - I hope he's not getting it!
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o