Author Topic: Q's about when changing from bottle to cup and when to stop morning milk?  (Read 3820 times)

Offline lin7604

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
IF you understand the question, lol.  Ok here is the thing, my ds was having 2 bottles a day, one when he first wakes up and one before bed.  The rest was in a sippy up during the day and would be either milk, water or juice.  I have transitioned him to a cup forthe am one when he akes up and still gets a bottle at bedtime so far.  SO when do i stop giving him the am cup when he wakes?  I always gave him milk as soon as he woke and then about 1hr-1,5hrs later we would have breakfast. so eg) wake at 7am, cup of milk and then breakfast at 8:30-9am.  should i keep giving this am cup of milk till no longer wants it? or do i just replace it with breakfast when he wakes up with a smaller amount of milk in a cup with his breakfast?  and then later in the am offer a snack and another small cup of milk?  He normally doesn't seem to eat snacks during the day as the he doesn't eat at meal time and doesn't seem to want anything before that time.  confused on what to do?

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
Re: Q's about when changing from bottle to cup and when to stop morning milk?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 15:46:18 pm »
how old is your LO??

By 1 we had switch morning milk to breakfast, with 4 oz of milk after breakfast. We fully cut bedtime milk by 13 months, we had to use the watering down method for that so it took us a few weeks.

By one they need 16oz milk per day, thats with milk and milk products, so we would have milk at each meal and snack and no bedtime milk or morning milk. Now at 27 months she has milk with breakfast and with dinner, and then milk products through the day to give her 16oz or more a day of milk product.
Kimberly

Offline lin7604

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 16:19:56 pm »
thanks, he is 13 month as of yesterday.  I was wondering about this, so now i know i can just give him breakfast when he wakes and a cup of milk with it. The thing is as soon as he wakes in say 10 min he's fussing for his cup of milk.  I also notioce that he won't eat till later on, so how can i get rid of the first am fussiness if i don't offer his milk 1st thing in the am now?  I will offer breakfast eariler since he won't be having his milk but i think it might be a bit hard to get him not uswed to having his cup of milk a hr before he eats.

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 16:41:30 pm »
it may take a few days, but just offer him his food right away, limit milk, if he wants few oz then thats fine, but try maybe only 2-3 rather then 8, then eventually he'll relize that he can eat first and he'll not be as dependent on the bottle.

I'm sure someone else would have better advice. I'm afread we switched DD very early (10 months) and she kind of did it herself, so I'm not really sure how to start that at 13 months. Its a bit of a habbit at that age..
Kimberly

Offline lin7604

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 17:49:21 pm »
ya it is a habit.  he won't drink 8 oz from a cup at all, i give him6 or 7 in it and let him drink what he wants, i think the most milk he has drank from his sippy is 4oz at a time.  There is always milk left in it.  The only way he would drinka full 8oz is in a bottle and i only give that to him at night right now.
i will start offering breakfast first from now on and hope that his milk intake picks back up after he is used to this.

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 17:59:27 pm »
keep in mind he only needs 16oz of milk now and thats with milk products like cheese and yogerts. You can always give extra of those foods if your worried.

He will pick it up :) The best idea though is when you want to stop the bottle, stop it. Cold turkey, don't look back. If you give in and give him the bottle then he will keep resisting. Eventually if he relizes the only way to get milk is a cup/sippy he'll drink more there.

I wont lie there may be some crying and screaming, but be firm, and make sure he knows you do understand, but he's a big boy now, he will pick it up.

Good luck and please do keep us informed
Kimberly

Offline lin7604

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 23:31:32 pm »
oh he has taken very well to a cup in the am, i don't give in at all!

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 23:49:01 pm »
The you can do the same with the PM :)

Kimberly

Offline lin7604

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 01:27:20 am »
all i know and worry about is that when i do the same with the bedtime one then i know he won't be getting enough of milk during the day!  I find somedays when i put say 7 oz in a cup when he wakes up, he will drink 2oz maybe 3 right away then is a sip here and thre all day.  In and out of the fridge, etc.  sometimes i still have at least half of it left when it's bedtime.  The rest of the day hewon't drink it, he will want water or juice.  so if i do the bedtime one too right now or very soon, then he will be getting a lot less then he will need.

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 02:25:21 am »
Up his milk intake through food then. Cheeses, yogerts, and other milk products make a difference. He only needs 16oz of milk product (thats either milk itself, or milk products) His intake may go down for a few days after you take the bottle, but it will go up again once he relizes he'll only get milk from a cup.

Giving him the bottle at bedtime means he knows he's going to get a bottle, so why drink more, cups are harder to drink from, and it also leads to a prop for sleep, and really you don't want him dependent on that bedtime bottle, both because it makes sleeping harder, but also for his teeth. Drinking milk before bed leads to faster tooth decay.
Kimberly

Offline lin7604

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 02:32:23 am »
we always brush his teeth after the bottle.  we do pj's, bottle while reading 3 books, then brush teeth, then off to bed.  He is a real picky eater right now, he will only eat yougart, no cheese wether or not it's cheese whiz, cheece slices, hard cheese.

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 04:10:22 am »
yogerts still a great milk product. Let him have that once a day and thats 1 serving, you only need 1 more, so a 4 oz cup of milk.
Kimberly

Offline lin7604

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 18:11:12 pm »
so 1 serving is 4oz?  i read somewhere ( i think what to expect when you are expecting, 12 month pages) that they should have 3 cups a day, so even if you make mashed potatoes, use it out of the 3 cups a day serving for them, etc  Well when he won't eat anything other then yougart, that is a lot of milk to need to drink in a day then?  So that is why i am confused on what to do as i give him 1 yougart a day and his 8oz bottle at night but then what?  and when i take that 8oz bottle away then he'll be really under.

Offline maisy

• Showing Appreciation 131
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 18:23:46 pm »
Just to make you feel better, my DD is 21MO and I am only just weaning her AM bottle. I have no plans for the near future to wean her PM bottle. It is the only chance we get for a cuddle each day as she never sits still LOL
. also Tracy actually mentions that it is ok to have a toddler with a bedtime bottle so long as they dont fall asleep on it. My DD definitely doesn't so we are keeping it for now

watch it all bite me in the butt now as whenever I say something the little cherub switches on me and changes what she does ;)

x x x x
Lee Ann,

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 18:53:22 pm »
You can always leave the bottle if your trully worried, just don't stop and start kwim?

You wouldn't a;ways have to make up for his milk through yogert, that was just an example of how to start. Milk levels do drop when they start with a sippy, because its harder work to drink from. Once they're used to the cup, and there is no other means of getting milk, they do increase that intake again. Just be sure he has a good intake of cacium while he ajusts.

Kimberly

Offline Seona1973

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 23:10:23 pm »
My 14 month old has 2 lots of milk per day both from a lidded beaker.  He gets his cup of milk while I make breakfast and then finishes it off along with breakfast.  I offer around 5/6oz and he tends to finish it.  At bedtime he gets his cup of milk after he gets his pj's on downstairs and then we take it upstairs with us and he has it while we do stories for him and his big sister.  He takes somewhere between 6and8oz and has his teeth brushed afterwards before he goes to bed.  I see no need to stop morning/bedtime milk as long as you start giving it from a cup and brush their teeth before bed.  It is the bottle that needs stopping not the milk itself.  I dont offer milk at any other time of day as he has water with his meals/snacks.  He does eat cheese, yoghurts, etc too so I am not worried about calcium intake.

Offline lin7604

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 02:07:58 am »
how else can he get calcium?  as he is sooo picky.  he pretty much eats yougart, carrots, toast, bananas, and gerber graduates juice treats and crunchers.  I try so hard to get him to try new things every day but he refuses to even try.  I have no idea how else to get calcium in him?

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 04:04:16 am »
Well one reason he may not eat much is because he doesn't have to. If he's full from milk he wont eat.
Calcium is in a lot of different fruits and vegitables too. And other toddler foods, like mum mums, or arrowroots, or gurber finger foods. Do some research (I'll see if I can't maybe find my list again, I'm afread I don't have it on hand) Many real fruit juices do as well.

Keep trying with foods. The more you expose them the more likly they'll try it. Sometimes you have to introduce the same food 5-10 time before they even try it.

We did start early will a policy in our home, its not exceptable in our home not to eat what you get. Admittedly this stems from my parents, but I think its the way to go for our family. It works pretty well too. Since the introduction of solids, DD was expected to at least try everything, we have a one bite rule here, one bite or nothing, we don't give an alturnative. Now if she tries something (like honey, she hates honey) And we know that she's tried it, we give her something else, I will then try that food again in a few weeks time. Worked wonders for peas for us for example. One of the few foods DD didn't take to right away, she was expected to try it and you know after actually trying it 4-5 times she loves them now.

I found with DD that she doesn't like chunky foods, so stews and chillie she's not a huge fan of. (I don't really like them either) She's never been a big eater of puries, or the toddler meals (chunky baby food) so we went to finger foods. Bread with butter, crackers with cheese spread, green beans, brocolie (her fav) squash, onions (yes she like raw onions and garlic too) spegettie, ravioli, noodle soups, Grilled cheese is a fav and you can make that with little to no fat, and the list goes on.

There is really not much she wont eat. Spicy is about it, not a huge fan of spicy, or too sweet, she's not a fan of cookie, cake, or things like that (not complaining)

Its not about forcing them to eat, but encourageing them to try new foods. Make it fun, but make sure they know you mean business at the same time. When DD finishes her entire meal, especially if its a new food, she gets a small treat. Getting through the picky stage is going to be a lot easier now then it would be in a few years. Firm, consistent, but with some flexability, so they try it, but if they really don't like something give them something else, and try again in a few weeks. If you only stick to the foods you KNOW he'll eat, eventually thats all he'll eat.

DD has never been a "picky" eater, but when she was having to much milk or water or juice she wouldn't eat. She's still like that. If she drinks to much she isn't hungry. Its all about balence.
Kimberly

Offline lin7604

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 14:35:40 pm »
thanks.  I did try for 1 week, you eat what you are given bit ut he went starving pretty much!  He started to gets miserable and whiney and started to wake at night!  Some days i get so frustrated as he will eat something to no end one time then the nxt he won't touch it.  I do know i don't want him to think, well i will just get what i want anyway, but how can i let him go all day with no food!  Yesterday for supper i only gave him carrots and believe it or not he ate every single one!  The day before he wouldn't otouch them, see here we go.  i never know what to give him whether or not he will eat it today,and i hate wasting food.  MAshed potatoes is a touch and go thing, i don't understand why one day he will gobble it owna dn then not touch it for weeks after?  We tried chicken again last night and wouldnm't touch it, he would just pick it up and throw it on the floor.  I did at one point trick him and have a carrot on top of it but he found it as soon as it entered in his mouth and threw it on the floor.  I will limit his liquid throughout the day for now to see it that is playing up on it at all. 
I couldn't believe that my son loved bananas and would touch the real thing for weeks.  i think it was 2 months of me trying a few times a week.  He loves squash but won't eat the real thing either, only pureed in the jar?  I tried soup, grilled cheese, etc and no go!  I find that he won't eat anything warm, it has to be cold?  is that weird or what?  Even if i give him toast he will let it get  cold first then eat it.  NOt one thing will he eat if i warm it up, even his carrots.

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 16:51:12 pm »
welocme to toddlerhood, such is there way to give you a hard time.

As I said DD isn't "picky" but she too goes through fazes where she wants certine foods more then others. Usually it passes rather quickly.

Your LO wont starve himself. Children know when they're hungry, and when they're hungry they will eat. DD has good days at a time eating very little, but she's fine. Balence is key. Its tricky, and a lot of work, but if you stick to your guns, you'll get there.

If there is a food you know forsure he'll eat, like DD with noodles and tomato sauce, you can add foods to it. Put them on the side, so they're there, he can eat them if he wants, but he still has food.

For example, you have a child who likes say mashed potaos (great way to sneak in milk btw) give them that, plus a food they aren't to keen on or thats new, like maybe corn, you'll probably have to do this for 3-5 or more meals but what will happen is he'll see that food there and eventually he'll try it. Just don't give in and give him something in place of corn during the meal if he hasn't tried it.  For example DD loves fruits, especially banana's so often we'll give her that for after her dinner, if she hasn't tried everything on her plate at least once, she doesn't get it at all. She's learned that she has to eat what we give her, but if mommy and daddy know she really doesn't like it when she's tried it, we're proud of her trying it, and we avoid that food for a few weeks, or like with honey she doesn't get given it at all.

If you know he doesn't like foods that are warm (very normal btw) then give it to him cooled. They are more sensitive to temperatures so it may be to warm for him, after a few times leave it a little warmer untill he will take it. The food being cold, while no appealing to us maybe, is still the same food, same nutritional value and still going to do him a lot of good.

Give it a go. Keep us posted, we're here if you need help.
Kimberly

Offline lin7604

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 18:21:45 pm »
thanks, i will try pasta again today at lunch and corn at dinner with other foods he likes, but i have to remember not to give to many choices as well as i find then it's too much for him to handle adn he just plays with it.  When i give him one at a time he eats better adn i find he eats way better when alone?  When we try to have dinner time together, he plays with it and fusses trying to get out of his chair, but when we leave or i stand and do dishes, he eats!

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 20:57:41 pm »
probably because he doesn't have an audience. :)

DD is actually the opposit, she likes us sitting with her and eats better that way.
Kimberly

Offline lin7604

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 02:56:15 am »
well dinner went pretty good, i opened one of the gerber graduates, pasta dinners at lunch.  He ate 3-4 small spoonfuls adn then that was it, i was sooo happy!  So i gave him some cinnamon bread after and bananas.  At dinner i re intoduced it to him and he ate the rest of it! ;D  He wouldn't eat the beans though, just threw them on the floor.  He tried to use a fork real bad with the pasta but it wasn't as easy as it is for his carrots, he had some on him.  Oh well i was very happy he was eating and that he was trying to do it himself ;D ;D ;D!  Watch tomorrow he won't touch anything new now?  but i will try mac and cheese for dinner 2morrow and see what happens.  I left the past cool, not cold but not warm either. i'm keeping my fingers crossed as it will be so nice if i can get him eating these dinners, so when we go on our holiday in Jan i can bring them in the suitcase and not worry too much about how or what we are going to get him to eat on holidays!  I think that is why i am soo worried as we will be gone for 2 weeks to mexico.  Never mind me worrying about how bedtime is going to go with all of us in one room!!!!

Offline finlays mam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2007, 20:37:43 pm »
ok ladies i have a bit of a thing going on with my lo that i need guidence..........Fin is 16 months and has started to refuse his bedtime bottle which is ok but i'm finding that when he does this he's waking up earlier...0430 - 0500...toooooooooo early!! or he's restless thru the night and i'm assuming, rightly or wrongly, that it's because he's hungry because he's not had that late bottle.  What do you think?  He eats lots of other dairy stuff but is completely refusing any help with feeding and won't let me help so i feel sometimes he's not as full as i'd like him to be ::) ::) ;D

thanks ladies
Debbie

Offline lin7604

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 00:44:09 am »
i too find my ds soing the same when he refuses his bedtime bottle?  At this age with the solid food they have it shouldn't matter or make the difference but it still seems to?

my ds lately has gone from bad to worse with his eating, he is almost refusing to eat anything at lunch adn dinner is a battle?

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2007, 04:08:13 am »
if they're waking at night its more likly thirst. Offer a sippy of water and see if that helps. I found with DD from 15 monts to about 22 months she would wake thirsty at night. I took to leaving her a sippy of water so she would drink that and I wouldn't have to worry about her teeth so much.

It is normal and it does pass, takes time for their little bodies to ajust
Kimberly

Offline lin7604

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 15:38:28 pm »
so this elimanating the am bottle isn't going so well?  I find it has been over a week we have tried to not have it and replace it with a earlier breakfast adn he just won't eat breakfast early?  He will go about 30 min after he wakes and then starts to fuss, if i offer him breakfast first he will just throw his food on the floor and cry for his cup of milk.  I find if he wakes at 7am he won't eat till 9 am at all no matter what?  I guess he is just like his daddy in that way, not so hungry when he wakes, he was like that right from born, he never wanted a bottle when he woke it wasn't till 1 hr later.  SO i guess i won't push it right now, i will still give him a few oz's of milk in a cup 30 min after he wakes and then breakfast 1.5 hrs after that.  Either he is not ready for the change yet or he will be just like his daddy?