Author Topic: Still has two bottles, hmm am i going about it wrong ?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Hollygolightley

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Still has two bottles, hmm am i going about it wrong ?
« on: June 21, 2007, 01:18:53 am »
Hello everyone , i am having a few troubles with DD eating her dinner   ::) & was wondering if maybe the bottle she has at about 2pm(just before arvo nap) may be affecting her hunger for dinner ,she loves yoghurt & cheese ,so i feel she has a fair amout of dairy , some days i worry that is all she has had ,appart from her Wheet Bix in the morning .
She will always polish of her night time bottle before she goes off to bed at night, she loves it , my meternal health nurse said they should only be using a sippy cup from the age of 6 months no more bottles (recommended here in Aus) but i have been naughty & give her her two milk feeds in bottle , but throughout the day she only has water out of her cup.
Oh DD is now 19 months old. :P

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
Re: Still has two bottles, hmm am i going about it wrong ?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 03:11:33 am »
Hi, I'm from Australia too! In chilly Melbourne.

I give Rory a bottle of milk before bed too, but I use the tommee tippee coloured bottles with HUGE flow.  The tops of the bottles are pretty much destroyed so it flows out very quickly, so she drinks it as quick as from a cup.  I've kept it up mainly because I used to give her some milk in her cot while I read her a story (which settled her the best) and we learnt the hard way that she spills way too much from a cup.  Now I don't need to keep her in her cot for a story and drink, as she is older, she sits well on my lap on a sofa in her room to read books before bed rather than trying to run out of the room all the time.  Anyway...

I'm sure you'll get good help on here.  My suggestion is that you could water down her milk (to reduce her calories from milk but keep her feeling full) and also slowly decrease the amount of milk she has, particularly before her day nap.  I think that avoids having a big arguement over trying to drop the bottle cold-turkey and also reduces her calories from the milk so she's hungrier at dinner.  Hopefully she'll be more inclined to eat a range of dinner foods as she's hungrier.

cheers,
mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8

Offline Hollygolightley

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 03:15:42 am »
Oh thankyou!!!!!
you know how thing are running smooth & then suddenly it's like hmmmm oh time to change routine lol, but then again not sure if it really is time to change or not ,oh it's confusing this parenting .
she loves the bedtime bottle & so yes i will keep it for a while ,as we brush her teeth after ( i think that is why the no bottle thing came about )
as for the day bottle ,i will try giving it to her with meals , or the watering down ,both great ideas thank you.
Also i think i need to mix it up with her dinners & make them more fun ( great ideas here thanks )
P.S> i tooo am in brrrrrr Melbourne!!! :P

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 04:01:24 am »
Freezing Melbourne, 2 degrees last night apparently.  ::)

There are some great recipes in the Recipe Swap section under Hobbies.  Good for family meals!

mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8