Author Topic: 9mo habitual NWs?  (Read 764 times)

Offline zebstiredmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
9mo habitual NWs?
« on: March 18, 2013, 13:11:07 pm »
Hi all

DD is 9mo today.  She has been a good sleeper, usually waking once in the night for a BF and going straight back to sleep. If she did wake more than once she would get herself back to sleep.  Also gets herself to sleep at BT and for naps no problems.

I thought she would drop the NF by herself, but it didn't happen, so 11 days ago, when she didn't wake till 4.30am one night I decided to go for it.  I just soothed her by Shhing, and PUPD once, and she was back to sleep 1/2 hour later and I had to wake her in the morning after 7am to feed her.  Next night it took 20mins and the night after she cried briefly then got herself back to sleep.

Every night like clockwork she wakes at 3am or 3.30am and cries.  Some nights it has been brief and she's gone back to sleep by herself.  Other nights I've had to soothe her briefly with a 'time to sleep' and put an extra blanket on her and she's gone back to sleep within minutes.

But in the 11 nights we've had 3 bad ones - 2 I'm sure were discomfort / teething but last night she didn't seem distressed, or in pain, she just whinged intermittently for about 1 1/2 hours every 10 mins or so.

She has 2 naps of 1.5 hours and 1 hour, she eats 3 meals of solids plus 4 milk feeds (3x BF and 1 bottle)

She is hit and miss about taking her bottle feed, some days only taking 1 oz, and sometimes only takes 1 side of BF at BT but as she doesn't wake desparate for milk in the morning I don't think shes hungry...

any ideas?

:-\

Emma

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: 9mo habitual NWs?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 01:24:36 am »
You might try wake to sleep to get rid of it if it seems truly habitual (How do I address habitual wakings? (wake-to-sleep and other methods))

Is there anything environmental going on at that time (noises, heating/cooling, etc)? 

Offline zebstiredmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 08:50:47 am »
Thanks Erin - no, no environmental changes, although the temperature drops gradually after the heating goes off, which is why on cold nights the extra blanket has helped her.

I was wondering if it might be UT, so yesterday woke her earlier from her pm nap and put her to bed earlier, and I didn't hear a peep all night,  but she also took all her bottle mid afternoon and both sides at BT, so that could have played a part too...

I'll take a look at that link now though, thanks  :)

Emma

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 01:44:06 am »
Sounds like you're doing a good job coming up with some potential causes on your own!  I'd try shortening that PM nap again and see what happens.  :)

Offline zebstiredmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 20:39:44 pm »
Last 2 nights went well - I capped her pm nap at 3.30pm and made sure she finished her dinner in plenty of time to be ready for both sides at BT, but then we've had EWs instead! 5.45am this morning  ::)

Emma

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 01:16:04 am »
Hmm, I'd say you sound like you're headed into 2-1 territory, though she's a bit early for it.  Was she early to drop the cat nap?  Check this out: 10/ 11mo sleep gone wonky? Read this first!

Early wakings usually indicate the need to stretch that first A time (or to throw something completely different in there, teeth -- any possibility of that?) so it might be worth stretching it as well.