Author Topic: Low milk supply in the afternoon and evening  (Read 7343 times)

Offline pls

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Low milk supply in the afternoon and evening
« on: September 25, 2005, 00:47:03 am »
Hi Ladies
I have been battling thrush and we are finally done with it.  But I think it decreased my milk supply.  I tried fenugreek while battling thrush but it did not seem to help although it worked wonders before.
Anyhow, the last few days I have noticed I have a good supply in the morning and for lunch.  But for the afternoon and evening feeds my breast feel super soft and today she wanted to nurse 2 hours after eating which she's never done.  I have started pumping yesterday for 5 minutes after each feeding. For the first morning feed I actually removed about 1 oz.  In the afternoon and evening I get nothing. 
Is it normal to have a low supply all of a sudden in the afternoon and evening?  What can I do to increase it for that time rather then in the morning since I have enough then? 
She is 13 weeks old.
Thanks for the help.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Low milk supply in the afternoon and evening
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 00:51:19 am »
Make sure to continue to take good care of you. Are you eating enough? Are you drinking enough? Are you sleeping 7-8 total hours at night? Sometimes these very simple things can make a big difference. An after lunch nap may even work wonders.

Moms often notice a supply difference around 3-4 months. Increased frequency of nursing or pumping between feeds once or twice a day, for a few days to a week, can help increase your supply.

It is very normal to have lower supply in the afternoon and evening. You are busy all day. And baby eats more frequently, that is ok!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline clangers

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Low milk supply in the afternoon and evening
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 20:30:46 pm »
Hi I am new to this forum. I think I have a similar problem.  I have a 3 week old who feeds well during the day but after about 5pm she wants to feed all the time and will never sleep, she seems unconsolable.  I am sure it is hunger plus overtiredness, I really want to pursue the B/F rather than supplement but does anyone have any suggestions.  I give her EBM that I expressed throughout the day for her dream feed but I am afraid I do not get much when pumping.  Should I just switch her from side to side all night, say if she stops actively sucking then move her to the other breast and continue this until she is content.

Please help!

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 00:35:52 am »
Hi Clangers - welcome to the site and congrats on your lo!

Can you tell me a bit more about your lo and your day?  I take it that you are double side feeding.  Are you making sure to try and empty the first breast before moving to the next? Switching sides can be helpful if she gets sleepy or slows down her sucking, but breast compression can work really well too. How are her diapers and her weight gain? How often are you feeding earlier on the day?  Is she having good naps early in the day?  You said she's getting overtired - if she's not napping well, that could be part of the problem.  Also, how often is she feeding overnight - does she go longer stretches?  She's still really little, so she's likely needing to eat fairly often too...

Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline dannygirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 00:59:10 am »
I went through the same thing.  What I did was drank about 2 or 3 liters of water, and also started drinking tea called mothers milk, made by traditions medicinals, within a day my supply was back up, almost felt like engorgement again. Before I started doing this I could barely get an ounce out of both breasts together, no I can get 3-5 ozs out of one side. you can get this tea at natual food stores or online at http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com  Hope this helps.
Kaylene
Allison 10/20/05

Offline clangers

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 08:13:21 am »
Thanks for replying so quickly.  Actually if I am truly honest I have not got a clue what the problem is.  My other lo was a real textbook angel, this one seems kinda spirited.  Tonight she settled, after a lot of winding, in my arms but as soon as I lay her down she began crying.  Her dad has been up there for over an hour nowtrying to help her sleep.

I am trying to establish a routine and haven't been able to stick to EASY.  She varies from 2 1/2 to 3 hourly feeds.  After a good feed and nappy change she usually settles well.  I use breat compression and was initially only doing 1 side but I now offer the other.  MY left side seems less popular with her.  If she takes a dream feed (usually EBM) at 10:30 she usually sleeps until about 3:30 for a feed an then again at 6:30ish.  She was only 6lb 2oz (2800g) when born and is now 6lb 6oz (3020g). 

Am I doing something wrong, am I missing the cues???  I know it is early days but I feel I am neglecting my other lo.

Anymore help or advice would be welcomed.  Oh I am also going to try fenugreek to see of that helps.

Thank you

Offline dannygirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 15:54:59 pm »
 have you talked to youre pediatrician about her weight gain?? she seems to be about the same age as Allison 13 weeks right??, adn allison is 14 lbs now, was 8lbs 7 oz when born.  speaking of wich she is starting to show hungry signs, I'll check back later.
Kaylene
Allison 10/20/05

Offline clangers

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 19:33:13 pm »
Hi

she is only 3 weeks old and is putting on weight.  She would be in the lower percentile range so I have no concerns.  I am actually beginning to think it is a sleep and wind issue. Unless she falls asleep on the breast then she fights naps as well.  I will continue to observe and listen as recommended.

thanks

Offline dannygirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 21:15:12 pm »
 Ok that makes sense. Sorry bout that, i realized later that I misread. :-[
Kaylene
Allison 10/20/05

Offline deenz

• Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 01:00:35 am »
Clangers - I think it is perfectly normal for young babies to behave like yours - almost constant feeding, and awake for long periods in the evening.  I think you're right, that it's possibly a combination of overtiredness/overstimulated and build up of wind.  Dd1 was like this, dd2 less so.  Sounds like your dd sleeps really well at night, and is going for good lengths of time between feeds during the rest of the day, so I'm sure she's fine, and your milk supply is fine.  In the evenings there is often less milk, but it is also higher in fat.

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 17:58:35 pm »
Feeding every 2.5 to 3 hrs at this age is perfect.  As for the sleep - do you swaddle? It can make a big difference with spirited babies.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline clangers

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 00:31:00 am »
Thank you all for your help.  Yep I do swaddle but she tends to kick it all off, for a wee one she has strong legs.  At the moment she is wanting lots of feeding.  I think it is probably too early to tell so I will probably demand feed as much as she wants to build up my supply.  Then think about a routine when she has gained more weight.  She has completely changed since my initial posts and now I do not know where I am with her.  I will persevere!!!!