Author Topic: pump breastshield sizing affecting nipple tenderness?  (Read 714 times)

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
pump breastshield sizing affecting nipple tenderness?
« on: February 04, 2006, 16:25:29 pm »
I have a quick question about pump breastshield sizes.  I have a Medela double breast pump, middle of the line, not the really nice one.  It comes with a certain size and it works okay.  My concern though is that pumping is making my nipples more sore than breastfeeding alone even though I've only pumped 3 times so far (very spaced out like over days).  This morning I started wondering if the soreness was due to pumping, which I think it is cause I'm sorer the day after pumping than I normally am, and then was wondering if I could possibly need a larger size breastshield.  I'm not that large chested, but when I pump, my whole areola doesn't go into the channel of the breastsheild.  Should it?  Or do I just have to get used to pumping like I'm getting used to bfing?  TIA

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Re: pump breastshield sizing affecting nipple tenderness?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 20:45:14 pm »
My whole areola never went in either.  I also found I sometimes ached a bit after pumping, but it wasn't too painful.  If your nipple is sore though, could it be because you're not centering it well enough in the channel?
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha