Author Topic: Total amount of sleep for 3 month old  (Read 1163 times)

Offline KellyC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
Total amount of sleep for 3 month old
« on: December 18, 2005, 19:59:33 pm »
Hi

My 3 month old sleeps approximately 12 hours at night (7pm - 7am) but I am struggling with his naps at the moment.  He needs to go down for his first nap just an hour or less after his wake-up which is fine but he'll only ever go down for a short (30-40 minute) nap and then needs another before his second feed.  I'm wondering if this is because he doesn't need a longer nap after 12 hours sleep but it makes the day one long conveyor belt of short naps and he's much happier when he gets the long naps in (so am I!).  I've also been thinking that if he napped as much as I'd like during the day (3 x 1.5 hour naps + 30 minute catnap) then he would be having 5 hours sleep during the day plus another 12 at night which is 17 hours - is this too much?  We really struggle at catnap time as he's tired but can't seem to get the sleep in.  I can't believe I'm about to say this but do you think I should wake him earlier?  Say, 6.30?  I can't put him to bed later as he really is a very tired boy by the end of the day!!

Thanks
Kelly x

Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Total amount of sleep for 3 month old
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 18:11:10 pm »
i would leave the nights alone - lucky mommy!

could be that his first nap is just a shade too early, and he isn't very tired, so he doesnt' sleep too much.  maybe try to extend his first A time - no more than 15 minutes - to see if that helps???
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy