Author Topic: Easy for 1 wk - but now dreading the screaming when putting her down to sleep  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Minibird

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
I introduced my three month old to 3 hr easy seven days ago and am finding that she is much better for the routine, calmer and happier most of the time. 

But my nerve is starting to go when putting her down for naps and sleep - even if I read her cues nicely and take her to her room, at some point during the wind down routine (draw the blinds, close the door, dim the lights, swaddle, sit on my lap on the chair, listen to some soothing music) she starts crying very loudly, arching her back and screaming.

We are pretty much following textbook routine and I am using all the techniques listed in the sticky PU/PD for 3 month old, using pat shush to soothe her between picking up and putting down.  It works, but I am starting to dread putting her down for sleeps.  It seems like she winds herself up before winding down and the whole process takes around 20 mins each time. Will it get better?
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
yes - sounds like she's showing the typical pattern of starting to get it, and then regressing a little bit.  this is when it's so important to stay consistent, and help her through, teaching her to self-soothe.

the other possibility is that you are waiting too long to start your winddown, and might want to move it 10 minutes sooner to see if that helps.
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Minibird

• Showing Appreciation 5
Thanks for that advice - very reassuring!

I've been continuing along the same lines (with cotton wool in my ears!) and things do seem to be getting easier.  Sticking with the routine has helped me to get a little better at reading her tired signs, so I think I have been getting better at getting her to bed sooner, as you suggested.  Once or twice she has even popped straight off to sleep as soon as her head has hit the mattress :D

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
yay for you!!  sounds like you're well on your way!!   :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Minibird

• Showing Appreciation 5
Yodelling baby
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 09:02:23 am »
Daisy has developed a strange yodelling cry (or a gentle cat yowl) when we put her down for naps that sometimes goes on for ages. And on and on  :-\.  It is really testing my patience. Its not particularly loud, and is accompanied by a hand stuffed in her mouth. For the first time, last night she started up the yodelling at 4.30 am and wouldnt go to sleep.  Eventually (well after I'd got my dh up to deal with it as I had run out of the ability to listen to it calmly!) it turned to a hungry cry, so I fed her and then she went off to sleep easily.

Each time I have stayed with her I have tried patting and shushing, just patting, just shushing, just a hand on her chest, pu/pd with pat sh and without, using my voice and simply being with her.  Not all in the same session I hasten to add!  But whatever I have tried, it has been taking her at least 3/4 of an hour to settle down once she starts with this noise.  Other times, when she doesn't start, she can go down nice and quietly with very little fuss.

It sounds like a settling down cry, but sometimes it seems like she is getting on her own nerves and keeping herself unsettled, caught in a catch 22 situation.

This morning, for her first nap, it started up again and after spending 10 minutes with her, I said "sleep tight" and left the room, feeling very guilty.  10 minutes later, she quietened down and I snuck back in her room to see that  she started the head rocking that is a definite indicator that she is settling down.

Was I wrong to leave her (I'm afraid of breaking her trust), or do you think that's what she needed?  I would love to hear from anyone who has had similar...

Offline LisbonMom

• Ah ... where would I be without my BW community?
  • Showing Appreciation 94
  • Mom, doula, writer and babywhisperer
    • Doula in Lisbon, Portugal
If they're not crying, leaving them to settle is actually a great sleep tool. Looks like she was ok with it. With some babies, ourintervention actually works against them, so don't feel guilty, feel proud you are teaching your lo to sleep independently.

Sara
Sara

Come over to the Dark Side, we have popcorn.