Author Topic: argh! all going wrong  (Read 1236 times)

Offline babybarr

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
argh! all going wrong
« on: October 30, 2014, 02:32:58 am »
So this wk I was determined to drop the nf which I have done. Since last Fri. Now though they still wake and take FOREVER. To go back to sleep resulting in cranky babies.

Their routine
Wake anywhere between 5.30 and 6.30
Nap noon for usually between 1.5 and 2hrs
Bed asleep by 7pm

The nw can really be any time atm. They are cutting molars so I've been giving meds in case. We did have a night or so sttn when we first ditched the bottle. They've been on one nap for at least 2months now.

Thoughts and help please!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 06:46:32 am by babybarr »
LAURA xx

Offline Mom-of-boys

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Re: argh!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 02:46:32 am »
I'm sorry I have no advice for you, just hugs because my DS2 is doing the same thing, so I'm following.  :)  I'm trying to drop the night feed and all of a sudden, he's waking between 10-11 hungry like we're going back to the dream feed.  :/.  Do you think it could be a routine issue?  My guy has also been doing 1 nap for a while, and I was wondering if it maybe the NWs were more related to OT or UT instead?

Offline babybarr

Re: argh!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 06:45:37 am »
It could be routine I guess. But Tuesday they had a really long nap so guessed they needed it then were both wide awake for 1.5hrs at 4am. Yesterday I capped the nap which meant they were miserable all afternoon and last night was awful! J woke at 2.30 but went back to sleep quite quickly but he woke h who was awake till gone 4am. J woke again at 4ish and 5.15 so I'm suspecting his teeth may have been hurting.

I've v close to just giving the btl back.
LAURA xx

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 07:26:06 am »
Hi Hon! Can it be just a habit? I mean they probably were waking at night, and they were used to going back to sleep after a bottle. Now they have to learn to do it by themselves and as they are quite grown up:), maybe it will take a while, WDYT? I mean I heard all those stories about angel children who need JUST 1-2 days and they stop to wake for a bottle but I guess it's not so often.

What I would do are two scenarios depending on how sure you are their routine is fine:
- if you are sure it is ok as it was working before dropping a bottle, I would just stick to assist them to sleep as you are doing and try no to give bottle back (I know!!! It will be so hard:/)
- if you think their routine is wrong or need tweaking, I would do everything to make them sleep at night (including bottle) than work on routine, and when you know it is fine, once again ditch the bottle

WDYT?
~Marta

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Showing Appreciation 76
Re: argh! all going wrong
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 08:15:41 am »
When Medi dropped her last nf she would still wake up, chatter away for a while (iirc it was up to an hour the first few nights) before going back to sleep. Then she got out of the habit of waking for food (cos there was none lol) and stopped waking up. Except for all the other reasons she wakes up ;)

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 10:14:49 am »
Hi Laura!

I think you have to persevere. They are in the habit of waking up at night and having a nice little drinkie to settle down again. I am not sleeping v well ATM and if every time I woke up my DH would get up too, give me a cuddle and give me some nice hot chocolate with whipped cream on top then I'm sure I would get into that habit v quickly too! Like Sarah says, when there is no milk at night they will eventually not bother waking up for it.

I think it took C about 10 nights to stop expecting a feed when she woke up, but Z was quicker. They will get there. Liz x

Offline babybarr

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 10:28:49 am »
Ok that's reassuring! Should I allow catch up napping or keep it to the norm? Don't wanna make it worse yk?
LAURA xx

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 14:33:57 pm »
Every time I allow E a catch up nap it comes back to bite me you know where! Even when she is sick with a cold ebt means 7:45 instead of 8:00 :P. I wouod be careful about allowing too much nappint and getting ut nw's!
Heidi

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 14:57:43 pm »
Totally agree with Heidi!
~Marta

Offline babybarr

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 15:17:58 pm »
Oops too late. They've been so grumpy it's unbearable. They've basically been losing about 1.5hrs sleep a night for the last 4 or so nights so I'm hoping I've done the right thing! Just I was struggling with the moaning!
LAURA xx

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 15:53:42 pm »
Ugh yeah I get that Laura and x 2 for you no less!
Heidi

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 03:59:32 am »
How did it end up going Laura? I had to let E take a super huge nap because some volunteer work I was not expecting got thrown in my lap...I wonder if my committee members would like to come over at stupid o'clock and deal with nw & ew!
Heidi

Offline babybarr

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 21:53:52 pm »
Well everything's to pot atm. They had their jabs on thurs and basically are reacting to them. Hoping by tomorrow things will be more settled then I can try and get them sttn... Tee hee!

How did E get on after mammoth nap?
LAURA xx

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 23:06:22 pm »
Actually not bad...but her cold has settled into her lungs so she is really poorly! Went to the dr beacuse a sleepy E is alarming! She is on meds now.

Jabs suck! Hopefully they bounce back fast!
Heidi

Offline babybarr

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 09:59:19 am »
Poor thing. That'd be the same with all 3 of mine! They don't stop!
LAURA xx