Author Topic: 13 month old EW = short nights, long days  (Read 713 times)

Offline chirojaz

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
13 month old EW = short nights, long days
« on: November 10, 2014, 17:50:31 pm »
so in the past month or so my DS (13MO) has started shortening his nights from 11 hours to 10 hours or less.  His morning nap is getting shorter and A times are getting longer so I know he is showing all the "standard" signs for getting ready for 1 nap but I just don't want to transition now.  I know if I can hold him off until like 16+ months (which I did with my DD and the transition was flawless) it will be easier.  But I also am not enjoying waking up at 5:30/6am  :(
Our typical EASY looks something like this……

WU 6:00am
Nap 10:00
wu 10:40/10:45/11:00 (if he gets a 4hr A time in the morning he will always sleep for an hour and then I wake him but some mornings if he wakes at 6:15 or a little later I will still put him down at 10 but he will take a shorter nap (40/45min)
Nap 3:00 (if he took a 40/45 min AM nap) or 3:30 (if up at 11am from AM nap)
WU 4:30 (if short AM nap) 4:45 (if 1 hour AM nap)
Bed 8:00/8:15

He never used to have NW's and now he is at around 4ish but then will resettle himself.  This morning he did that then woke up at 5:30am for the day totally happy and babbling until 6:45 when I finally got him up!!! :(  He was definitely TIRED and ready for his nap at 9:30am so I put him down.  So what do I do?  He still goes down easy for two naps but with the longer A times, our days are super long (14+ hours).  Plus how would I even try and transition him to one nap if he is waking up for the day at 6am or earlier? If I put him down at 11am (if he could even go that long) took a 2hr +/- nap, I would have to put him down for bed soooo early!  Since being on two naps (at 6months old) he has had a shorter morning and evening A time.  His afternoon A time has always been the longest.  This took a bit of trial and error but it was what worked best for him.
Any help is much appreciated!!!!!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 13 month old EW = short nights, long days
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 05:45:47 am »
Tbh I would not wait until 16 months if he is showing signs of being ready for one nap now. Kids are all so different that you may wait for the magic age and find it is even worse then. One of the ways to get to one nap would be to cap the first nap and keep bringing the second nap earlier or conversely pushing the first nap out and capping the second while bringing it earlier. We did the 2-1 cold turkey all three times so no irl experience I am afraid!
Heidi

Offline chirojaz

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 03:44:06 am »
Well I thought I had figured things out a little bit when yesterday he woke up at 6:40am! (yay) But today we got another early wake at 5:40am with a couple of night wakes.
The past two days schedules looked like this
WU 5:30am
Nap 9:30am
WU 10:35am (I woke him)
Nap 2:50pm
WU 4:20
Bed 8:10
the next day looked like this…
WU 6:40
Nap 10:00am (I have been trying to keep 10am as the latest to put him down for his first nap no matter what time he woke up)
WU 10:45
Nap 3:00
WU 4:30 (I woke him)
Bed 8:10 am (he settles within 5 min or so)
That night he woke at 2:45am for 15min or so then again at 4:30 ish then up for the day at 5:50. 
Is there any way that his early wakes and night wakes could be due to OT?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 03:14:31 am »
Is he acting ot at all during the day? Tbh I would think ut really and try at least capping one nap and moving the other to give more A time and shorten the day back and see what happens.
Heidi