Author Topic: when to stop swaddling?  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
when to stop swaddling?
« on: December 23, 2005, 05:24:18 am »
I think I know how to stop swaddling with the gradual method, but I am unsure when it is appropriate to stop. Are there any signs that would tell that it is time? I am wondering because Gage has been escaping from the miracle blanket more and more. Like always he fusses when I put it on, but I dont think that is a clue other than he is now able to arch his back to make it VERY difficult to put it on. He is also becoming very sweaty in the thing no matter how I dress him. His coordination has increased, but still bonks himself in the face at times. I think he is also on his way to rolling over, and i dont want to impede this. Right now he lays in a positoner and the swaddle. I want to test one arm out, but I am afraid as I am sure everyone knows how precious sleep is. The swaddle has been my saving grace. What do you think? Anyone have experience in this area?

Ps. Gage is 14 weeks

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
when to stop swaddling?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 11:28:55 am »
Hi

Zander is 15 weeks and I'm following lots of your posts at the moment as we seem to be going through the same things!

Zander has slept with one arm out of his miracle blanket for a couple of weeks now.  We lie him on his side with a sleep positioner and the arm out of the swaddle is on the bottom - this helps him to be able to control it better.  I also put this hand in his mouth for him before I lie him down if that makes sense.  His arm still flails around in his sleep (last night he cut himself on the cheek in his sleep  :cry: ) but it doesn't seem to wake him up.  I won't be taking the other arm out until I can see he has better control of them.

Kelly x

Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline melanemac

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
when to stop swaddling?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 13:32:42 pm »
Hi, I'm also wondering when to stop. DS is now escaping from the swaddle at night (and sometimes during the day) and I am very afraid of him getting the blanket caught up in his face and not being able to breathe.

DS is 7 weeks.

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
when to stop swaddling?
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 22:37:30 pm »
Melanmac, have you tried the miracle blanket? Your lo is still so young and most likely can not get out of this thing. I love ours except my son is getting bigger and stronger, and is getting out of it. If you dont have one you have got to get one! They sell them on ebay. In fact, I just emailed the seller to see if I could get a larger one.

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
when to stop swaddling?
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 22:59:42 pm »
Hello,

I stopped swaddling ds when he started escaping it and, like you, worried that the blanket would end up over his face. Does he seem to be escaping from it b/c it's annoying him, and he's trying to get himself comfortable? If so, it might be time to think about gradually withdrawing it.

This is how we did it -
We first started with one arm out of the swaddle (for the 1st day I had to hold his arm still as he fell asleep), kept it like that for a few days, then wrapped him with both arms out (but legs still wrapped) for a few days, and then transferred to the grobag. In black & white that sounds so easy, but it wasn't - it took quite a big of getting used to! But it did work eventually, so hang in there! I did have to stay in there with him for the times when his arms really did start flailing about, but he did eventually get used to it.

I don't know how you are doing it, but I believe the Aussie swaddle is really good if you haven't tried it  (http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/swaddling-technique-aka-quotaussie-swaddle-quot-vt1439.html) - it takes a couple of days to get used to, but is very good.

I think the best advice to give is to try it. If your instinct is that it's time to give up the swaddle, try it, and see if that helps. If not, you can always go back to it.

HTH xx
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston