Author Topic: Advice Please - Struggling to sleep  (Read 975 times)

Offline Tilly'sMum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Advice Please - Struggling to sleep
« on: December 23, 2005, 22:39:37 pm »
Please help - don't know what to try next!!!!

DD is now 16 weeks, she used to get herselp to sleep, just swaddle her and she would chatter for a little while and then just doze off.  However, recently, probably the last 4 weeks or so, she will not get herself to sleep, she will just cry and cry.  It all coincides with a cold that she has had on and off since then, which recently materialised into a chest infection.  Since then, she will only go to sleep during the day if she is in the car, or if I rock her to sleep.  I am grateful that at night there is no problem, and if she wakes through the night she will go striaght back to sleep, but as for the day, I'm at my wits end.

She will be going to nursery full time in a couple of weeks (boo) and the nursey staff are great, but I feel  that they wil not be able to rock her to sleep like I do.

We did shh/pat for a couple of weeks that seemed to work, until the chest infection set in as she then would turn to screaming (presumably a sore tummy from the antibiotics) and since then, she can not lie on her side or have her legs restricted whilst going to sleep.

I would really appreciate any help you can give me, it is currently taking over an hour to get her to sleep during the day - it's so frustrating as she used to be an angel.

Merry xmas
Tilly's Mum

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 22:58:49 pm »
Is she still on antibiotics? I think it's time to stop them if they are bothering her tummy.

Is the chest infection completely over? Is she coughing stuff up?  Have you tried elevating the mattress- that can help them breathe better.  Do you have a humidifier running?  You might try that as well.

It could be that she is just very uncomfortable and still recovering.  My dd and I are currently going through this as well and I too just rock her until she feels ready to go back to bed.

Does she self soothe with thumb or pacifier yet?  Sucking can be hard if conjested or stuffed up.  You can try suctioning her if you suspect it.

I would just keep going with patt/shhh until she is completely well.  I know it's been a long while but if she was a good sleeper before the best thing to get her back is to get her completely well.  And stay on the routine, wind down, etc as much as possible.  All the familiar sleep cues you can create the better!  You also can try a grobag or sleep sack if she does not want to be swaddled.

Gosh...I hope I helped!
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 22:59:40 pm »
Is she still on antibiotics? I think it's time to stop them if they are bothering her tummy.

Is the chest infection completely over? Is she coughing stuff up?  Have you tried elevating the mattress- that can help them breathe better.  Do you have a humidifier running?  You might try that as well.

It could be that she is just very uncomfortable and still recovering.  My dd and I are currently going through this as well and I too just rock her until she feels ready to go back to bed.

Does she self soothe with thumb or pacifier yet?  Sucking can be hard if conjested or stuffed up.  You can try suctioning her if you suspect it.

I would just keep going with patt/shhh until she is completely well.  I know it's been a long while but if she was a good sleeper before the best thing to get her back is to get her completely well.  And stay on the routine, wind down, etc as much as possible.  All the familiar sleep cues you can create the better!  You also can try a grobag or sleep sack if she does not want to be swaddled.

Gosh...I hope I helped!
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05