Author Topic: 15 month old, has phases of resisting  (Read 853 times)

Offline compoguide26

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
15 month old, has phases of resisting
« on: January 11, 2006, 12:04:58 pm »
My son is 15 months old son goes through phases of resisting naps and bedtime, but most of the time he is perfect and goes right off on his own no trouble at all.  He has a very conistent pre bed wind down and rituals and generally sleeps around the same time each day.  When he does wake or wont go to sleep we have a system that normally works, it is an adapted pick up put down system but sometimes even this fails.

I am looking for some advice on what to do with him or what could be causing all the upset.  thank you

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 15:34:36 pm »
How many naps do you currently have?  Have they shortened even when successful?  has he mastered a new skill recently?  any signs of more teeth- molars?  How many hrs does he do at night?  if you are on 2 naps could be a transition to needing only 1?

What do you do when your system fails- do you just wait?  How do you eventually get him back to sleep?

It sounds like you're doing great!
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline compoguide26

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 19:52:40 pm »
Quote from: branwen
How many naps do you currently have?  Have they shortened even when successful?  has he mastered a new skill recently?  any signs of more teeth- molars?  How many hrs does he do at night?  if you are on 2 naps could be a transition to needing only 1?

What do you do when your system fails- do you just wait?  How do you eventually get him back to sleep?

It sounds like you're doing great![/q

He has one nap about 1 1/2 hrs in the morning and that is usually fine but today for example he would not go down until 4.00pm after many tries he eventually fell asleep during a story sat on me, so I only let him sleep for 30 mins.

He is starting to walk and is learning about 3 new words a day, i sometimes wonder if his brain just can't shut down properly with all the new information.

He is showing no signs of teething at all at the moment.

usually he sleeps from 7.30 until 7.00

thanks for the encouragement, sometimes i feel like a useless mummy when he does this

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 20:59:36 pm »
I have read that at this age some babies go to a set nap time.  Since you are on 1 nap, which is perfectly great, you could try to move it after lunch- so it is midday- say 1pm??  It might break up that long stretch-and he might be really tired after 4-5 hrs. Maybe the morning nap was too close to wake up time?

If he is a new walker! YAY! He might just be "running" around trying to practice all the time- way to busy for sleep.

That being said- it's great that you're still encouraging the nap.  They still need them, so keep trying :wink:

Really sounds like he's right on track for everything.  Oh, and if recent naps are falling so late, that is also why he is having trouble going to bed.  Sounds really developmental so hang in there! :D
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline compoguide26

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 16:06:36 pm »
my ds went to sleep for a nap today in the afternoon, in his bed with no tears but i had to be in the room, so hopefully he will settle quicker tomorrow and then i can start thinking about getting out of the room as well before he is asleep.

I was just sat in the rocking chair away from his bed with my eyes closed so i couldn't interact with him and even though it took nearly an hour he did eventually give up playing and pottering about and laid down to sleep.  It was tough but not nearly as tough as listening to him scream the place down!

I will keep perservering............