Author Topic: Dream Feed  (Read 1075 times)

Offline ginger72

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Michelle - A Brit Living in France
Dream Feed
« on: January 11, 2006, 13:24:05 pm »
Hi there,

I'm just starting my 6wk old LO on a 3hr EASY schedule and I'm not sure how to do the dream feed. Presumably I just go into his room, pick him up and encourage him to wake? Is is best not to change the diaper and keep the baby as quiet and sleepy as possible? If so, isn't he likely not to eat very much? I'd also like my partner to be able to give our baby his dream feed and was thinking of using formula (I breast feed) - would this pose a problem?
Sorry for all the questions - I just want to make sure I'm doing starting out the right way!

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Dream Feed
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 13:41:26 pm »
Hi there,

What you do with the dream feed is take DS in your arms, try not to wake him and feed him you just touch your nipple/bottle to his lips and wait for him to latch on.  Afterwards, as he is so relaxed, he wouldn't have to need burping so much.  Don't change his nappy unless it is a sopping wet one or dirty one.   If your DP wants to do this, try expressing, and let him feed your DS. 

If you want to try formula give it in the day to see if he can take to the bottle.  Then if he does he can have it at the Dream Feed.  But I would try expressing first and give it to him in a bottle.

Hope this helps.  :D
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline rachelle26

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 15:17:45 pm »
So I have a ? on the dream feed... do you feed a full feeding?   Or just for a few minutes?  I breastfeed and typically feed on both sides at each feeding. When I do the dream feed do I need to do both sides or just one for about 5 min or so? I have done a couple of dream feeds and it doesn't seem to make my 7 week old sleep any longer than he was before, any thoughts????
Rachelle
Mom to Cale

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
Dream Feed
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 16:00:55 pm »
As much as your lo can take, at 7 weeks they will still want the night feed.  As your lo gets older then they will drop the night feed but still do the dreamfeed between 10 and 11pm until they have established solids e.g 7 or 8 months
Corrina
Mum to Faith

Offline ginger72

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Michelle - A Brit Living in France
Dream Feed
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 09:39:34 am »
Thanks Corrina,
First one tonight so fingers crossed! I'm going to breastfeed at 8pm and then get my DH to give a bottle at 11pm/midnight. Recently our LO has been sleeping from 8pm to 3am, feeding, waking again at 6am, feeding and again at 8am....very tiring. I'm hoping a dream feed might knock out one of these extra morning feeds.....

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
Dream Feed
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 09:46:36 am »
I wouldn't give the DF any later than 11pm as between when they go to bed and midnight they are in a deeper sleep.

It is tiring I know, but knowing that he will be sleeping through eventually that kept me going.
Corrina
Mum to Faith