Author Topic: 16mth old crying and standing up at cot at bedtime  (Read 3835 times)

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Re: 16mth old crying and standing up at cot at bedtime
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2007, 13:01:37 pm »
That sounds like a great idea Kelly! I may just try that myself!

Although saying that Will adores his bath and is totally worn out when he gets out so is ready to get into bed as soon as his pjs are on on most occasions. Its worth thinking about though!

H xxx

Offline RyansMum

• Showing Appreciation 138
  • Minecraft mad!
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2007, 15:26:52 pm »
Ennypen I would be very happy to stay in touch and to compare notes on this!!  Many thanks!

I had thought about a longer wind down and also delaying his bedtime for half hour so that he is very sleepy.

However, we all eat together at 6, dh really tries to get home for this time and 80% of the time he is here as I feel eating as a family is very important.  When he is late Ryan and I eat together and Daddy's dinner gets put in the oven!! lol! But I could make wind down longer if I delayed his bedtime (this was my Mums suggestion also).

So between 6 and 7.30 is dinner, wind down, bath and bed.  But yes I will be trying all these things tonight and will let you ladies know how I get on!  Many thanks once again, I really feel more positive!

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2007, 21:18:33 pm »
Hi Ryansmum, I'm so glad to hear that your last post you sounded more positive.  Helen has some great advice there, Thank you for helping us out.
Sorry to have not been able to help much over the last few days, had a bad dose of flu and sleeplessness myself.  How is the dummy situation going, are you still going to wean him?

Offline RyansMum

• Minecraft mad!
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2007, 13:03:57 pm »
Hi Mari.  LO took about 20 mins to drop off last night, Mummy headed to the door too soon!  He woke at 3.15am and I did what Helen suggested for about 1 hour but he just wouldn't settle.  He hated me being on the floor lying down so I knelt up which kept him calm but he would not sleep, I even tried the turning my back as I do at bedtime but that didn't work.  We were both however much calmer during it and when I left he started crying again, dh took over with his own method which is more strict than me but lo did go to sleep by 4.45am.  I went back to sleep poor dh was awake till 6!!  However when little one woke at 7.30ish he was calm and happy just waiting for us to go get him.

He had a little mild paddy just before I put him down for a nap a few minutes ago but settled himself quite nicely.

Am going to do the wi/wo method tonight which I know will take longer than me standing there but I am concious about becoming a prop and want him to learn to go back on his own.

The dummy is the only prop he has and I am going to try and wean him nearer to his 2nd birthday once he understands things more and I can explain about the dummy fairy etc.  I don't see the need to upset him by taking it away at this stage.  Plus he now has the one attached to his sleeping bag so know he always has one on hand.

Offline RyansMum

• Minecraft mad!
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2007, 23:13:39 pm »
Hi guys thought I would give you an update.

DH has put lo to bed the last two nights, one was his turn, the other I was so busy with my business I just needed to get on!

Anyway yesterday he was just dog tired (lo that is not the DH lol!)  Thanks to the previous night.  Plus we went to a friends 3rd birthday party in the afternoon and that really pooped him out!  He asked to come out of the bath (plus trying some relaxing bubble bath and being more subdued at bath time).  We also moved changing and lotion time to his bedroom from the bathroom. Hubby gave him big cuddles and a long story and before he had even turned out the lights lo was falling asleep!  Plus he did not wake in the night which was great as we all caught up on sleep.

Today he woke at normal time and had a nap at 12.30 (we had been swimming, and shopping for new shoes and that seemed to tire him out). I got him up at 1.45 to make sure he would be tired for tonight, had lunch went into town and let him walk around quite a bit which he loved (especially trying to make a break for it into every shop we passed with a large giggle!) Anways, did the same routine, subdued bath with bubble bath, getting dressed and ready for bed in his room and Daddy reading him a story.  DH dimmed the lights put lo in cot, stroked his face and talked to him, turned off lights, stayed by cot for a few mins then made his way out while he knew lo was still awake.  He let dh go and has only stired when he has had a little cough!  Either dh has a more calming and authoritive air about him or lo has turned a corner.  I still think he may wake tonight but will cross that bridge when we come to it.

I plan to continue to tire him out as much as possible to ensure he is really ready for sleep.  Will keep you posted.

Ennypen, I hope things are good with you.

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2007, 23:27:42 pm »
All good here too! We have had some great bedtimes recently and more and more sleeping through the night.. although some nights he is still waking at about 4am ish for a while.

Sorry the lying by the cot didnt work for you! As I said all of our LOs are different and what soothes one annoys another xxx

I agree with the tiring them out thing.. the more active Woo has been the better he sleeps at night. Just watch they don't get over tired as that can be just as bad lol.. Lots of fresh air and running about is wonderful though. Woo has started to go to tumble tots and that tires him out but he's so happy and relaxed once he's been.

Hugs xxx

Helen x

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2007, 12:06:08 pm »
Great news from both of you  :D

So the answer is that daddy should always put baby to bed?  Just as I always suspected ...

K x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline RyansMum

• Minecraft mad!
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2007, 12:08:06 pm »
Hi Ennypen

Ryan goes to something similar which is just loves, really poops him out too!

Though bless him he has a cough now so am expecting him to wake up over the next few days, plus we are going back to our parents in Norfolk this weekend which means he sleeps in with us in his travel cot, I just hope that doesn't undo any problems that have been sorted!!