Author Topic: newborn mantra cry?  (Read 837 times)

Offline Emami

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
newborn mantra cry?
« on: November 23, 2014, 13:30:47 pm »
DD2 is 10 days old.  So far it's been a really mixed bag of great (and even independent) sleep, and fussy no sleep days.  I don't expect to be in any routine yet while she's so little, but I don't know what to do on the days she won't sleep and can't figure out her crying.

She will eat, nappy change, be awake for maybe another 10mins, yawn. I know she's tired and at this point I can sometimes swaddle her and put her down and she will either gaze around and put herself to sleep, or need a bit of patting and will go to sleep for a good 2hrs until she needs to eat again. Other days (like today) she will lie there and then start crying, then stop then start, which seems like a mantra cry but she will keep doing it and not settle well for the nap. It doesnt escalate but doesnt really stop either.  I don't like to let her cry at all but I can't always get there right away with DD1 as well.  Every time I check on her when she's doing this her eyes are closed and she seems asleep but will cry for about 30 seconds every few minutes and doesn't seem well rested when she gets up.  Should I be intervening more?
Emma

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
Re: newborn mantra cry?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 13:56:12 pm »
Could it be discomfort?

I don't know if this is the same thing but DD made a ton of sleep noises in the first month. She sounded like an old man in a lot of pain - groaning, grunting, moaning, loud cries,screams even! I used to pick her up immediately thinking it was gas but then would find that she was fast asleep.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 15:34:03 pm »
It could be that she is asleep through it all, Emma, though you say she's not so well rested at the end of those naps. She's so tiny I would personally try popping her in a sling and see if that helps for now.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
Re: newborn mantra cry?
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 19:02:59 pm »
I don't think it's discomfort.  Se does seem quite gassy sometimes but is eating well and we always make sure she burps.  She does seem to be asleep through it but not good sleep.  I guess I was wondering really if newborns even do a mantra cry or if every cry means help!  She seems so small and needy compared to the 3 year old I'm used to!

Anne, I really want to be able to wear her sometimes but I haven't found a carrier that I get on with yet.  I've tried a ring sling and a moby but I can't quite get it so that we're both comfortable.  I didn't use one for DD1 but I can already see how useful it would be second time around.  Not sure if I need to just keep practising to get the hang of it or try some different ones.
Emma

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 19:10:16 pm »
Is there a sling library anywhere near you? Worth booking a visit if you can find one. Or if you can find a very good baby shop - there's a shop called born that has lots of carriers. There's a thread here somewhere about baby wearing, but can't link right now, sorry.

For tiny days we had a baba sling which I really loved. Very simple to put on and very comfy for baba, as it had a flat lying position, basically a hammock on your front! I don't have it right now but could find it and post it on to you if you like! I also like the look at je Porte mon bebe carriers.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.