Author Topic: define Co sleeping  (Read 1497 times)

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
define Co sleeping
« on: November 28, 2014, 15:41:25 pm »
Hey ladies...still having sleep issues here.  They oy time he does seem to sleep decent is in bed with us. I don't do it often...maybe a few times a week but only for 1 stretch in between feeding. He's still up every 2 hrs or more often, sometimes he will resettle with a paci sometimes he needs a boob. He's still on the 2 hr easy, I've tried stretching it out but it generally throws his nights off even more. His nap times are roughly 9ish 12ish 3ish and sometimes a 5ish nap time but he has been dropping it lately. He's been extending his a times a little...maybe to about 2.5 hrs sometimes 3. Anyways I was curious as to what yall though about Co sleeping? Im Desperate For sleep. 

[/url]

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: define Co sleeping
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 16:24:26 pm »
Can you post his EASY?  He sounds like he is eating really rather a lot for his age (as in frequency) and may well be snacking and not getting decent feeds in.  Does he have reflux out of interest?  I think probably you will need some routine adjustments (frequent NWs can actually be due to UT) as many babies his age will be approaching the drop from 3 naps to 2, and if his A times are 2.5-3h he certainly shouldn't be needing four naps in the day. 

As for co-sleeping, well you have to do what works for the family :). But it's not the BW way which would be independent sleeping as long-term those LOs who sleep well tend to be those who can settle themselves to sleep and aren't reliant on anything a parent does to help them back to sleep when they naturally wake in the night - as we all do.  Personally speaking co-sleeping isn't something I'd want to do, both for the reasons above and also the safety aspect - so please if you do decide co-sleeping is for you, make sure you do your research and know how to do it safely :)

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 18:21:14 pm »
I'll post his easy when I can hop on the computer. I wasn't too thrilled about the co sleeping for all those reasons but was wondering if anyone has done it and if they had any btdt advice with it.
He does have reflux but it seems to be a little better lately. That's another reason I think we are stuck at 2 hrs bc it seems to keep the spit up to a minumim. I guess I could try tummy sleeping now since he is rolling from back to belly now...maybe that might help. He's been very fussy with naps as of this week too. Before it was easy to rock him a bit and lay him in his crib. Now he screams and arches his back. He acts tired though...do you think maybe he's just UT in general??

[/url]

Offline dache

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 18:32:16 pm »
Screaming and arching  back are symptoms for reflux, are you sure he is better? Does he take anything for that?

I agree Katherine about the UT. Sounds like he is sleeping a lot during daytime. How long are his naps?
Can you explain what do you mean when you say that his nights ever even more off when you tired stretching his EAS? 

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 21:05:22 pm »
He seems better since he hasn't been spitting up as much. He takes Axid but we are trying to wean him off of it.
His naps during the day only last 30 min...45 if we are lucky. I can SOMETIMES catch it and get him to resettle for another hr but even if I'm waiting for him to get up he usually doesn't resettle.
Before we we have tried going to the 3 hr he wakes even more at night and I thought that it was maybe bc he wasn't getting enough calories?

[/url]

Offline dache

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 21:41:00 pm »
My lo stopped spiting up and vomiting after I started giving her soy formula but she still had bad reflux that got better after a few months and still flairs up. Can that be the case with your lo too?

Is he EBF, or ff? Why are you worried that he is not getting enough calories?
Can you post his routine?

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 01:41:32 am »
I'm not sure reflux is the culprit with the naps.  I'm wondering if it's UT or OT....He's not in pain he's more angry so that's why I think it's ut or ot...it looks like ot but I think we are stuck in a cycle since his nights are so unpredictable he's OT and then he takes terrible naps that adds to it. He is EBF, no solids yet. I've cut out all dairy and soy bc it really bothered him. He's still really gassy at night though which I wonder if that is part of the problem...ugh I'm not sure what's going on or where to start. I wish Tracy were here :(...I'd be asking for a visit from her for christmas. Not that I don't absolutely love everyone's help but soemtimes.i feel like it would be easier to just have someone watch ykwim?
I'll post his easy but just know it's been kind of all over the place. Since his sleep has been going so wonky lately it's a little off. And also maybe worth mentioning is foe the past 3 weeks dd has been home. We took her out of daycare since I'm a sahm now. Is he maybe just trying to adjust as well? Before it was just me and Ds and I'd have all my attention on him but now he has to ahare...do you think it's possible he's noticed and maybe had a little adjustment still going on? He will also be 6m on Dec 8 (but he was 6 weeks premature soni don't know if I go off his real or adjusted age for that stuff). Ok here's his easy (I'm still on my phone so I apologize for all the typos and whatnot)

E 530 am
S 530-645
A 645
E730
S845-915

E 930
A915-1115
S1115-1145

E12
A1145-145
S145-215

E230
A215-415
S415-445

E500
A445-645
615ish we do bath and by 645 we are usually getting settled in for his night feed. I'll do a dream feed around 9 sometimes I'll wait and see if in can get it to 930. ..sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. And at night it's anyone's guess when he will get up. Sometimes every 2 hr like clockwork sometimes every hr, and every once in a while I'll get a 3 hr stretch.
My phone is being a pain and I can't scroll to review what o did and it's a pain to edit in preview mode so hopefully it's understandable lol. Also to mention that he has been stretching his A time out...He's closer to 2.5 hrs ( I feel like maybe I said that already lol). His feeds are around 2.5 hrs as well bc usually when he wakes up from his naps hes ready to eat which i thought a while ago may have been the cause for short naps...maybe hes waking dt hunger?That's another reason I'm afraid it might be ot but in feel like if our nights went better our days would be better but I guess I could say it the other way too??????

[/url]

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 20:08:42 pm »
hey all just wanted to update. We working on stretching his feeds out to every 3 hours. Some days are better than others. He can usually go about 2.5 hrs, sometimes 3. I've been trying to get his nap stretch out as well, basically trying to get him on the three hours easy. This feeds are going better than the naps. He just doesn't seem to be able to make it 3 hours off of a 30 minute to 45 minute nap.

[/url]

Offline dache

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 20:22:13 pm »
Sorry, I havnt responded to this, I bookmarked it and forgot about it. Ill be back in an hour.
But you are doing great. What little progress you see, its still progress. It will get better.

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 20:59:37 pm »
No worries! I know we are all busy lol...thanks for the encouragement though.  I was worried we weren't making any progress!

[/url]

Offline dache

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 22:25:07 pm »
I wish Tracy were here ...I'd be asking for a visit from her for christmas. Not that I don't absolutely love everyone's help but soemtimes.i feel like it would be easier to just have someone watch
For months I went to bed and woke up with this thought. The help and advice I got here its priceless, and it works, but I was thinking Id give all the money I have just to have her for a day. I think we all wish that!.

What are his tiredness cues? I think 2.5h is good A time for him.  Can you just look at him, follow his cues for sleep and hunger for a couple of days, see how that goes?Write it down, maybe a pattern will emerge.

Do you think that maybe his is destructed by his big sister? Here, if there is someone that dd can play with naps are very much disrupted.Can you have low stimulation activities before naps?

Im doing to post a few links to some very helpful threads.

Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

Introducing EASY to a 2nd child

Recognising a Babies Cries (this one was very helpful for me bc my lo was crying a LOT!)

When EASY seems hard

Hope that helps. Vibes for better days soon

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 02:20:43 am »
Ugh I had everything typed and now it's gone!
His tiredness cues were just a general fuss...He doesn't cry very often just voices his displeasure. The past few days he's started rubbing his nose and eyes though. Today was strange as well. I mentioned earlier that he was fighting naps hard and I told my mom and she said maybe it's his way of telling you he needs to be left alone. So when I noticed him getting sleepy I laid him in his crib and he put himself to sleep. .all three times! I'm interested to see how tomorrow goes.

I never gave much thought about the effect my daughters stimulation might have on him. She doesn't mess with him much and she's a pretty independent player so she will sully play off in a corner in the living room or in her room alone. I read those threads and thank you so much! The one about easy with a second child was good. It actually made me feel like I was doing something right. We've always been good about letting dd be around during nap time for the reasons the original psyer mentioned. ..they both need to get used to each other lol. During nap time while ds is sleeping I'll make dd play quietly but really I just don't want her running down the hall screaming just bc I think it's rude and she shouldn't do that regardless iykwim??
 Looking at the A times he seems to be right on track if I consider his adjusted age which is 18 weeks.

[/url]

Offline dache

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 09:11:34 am »
That`s great, about him settling on her own.DD is the same, she hates being rocked, and if there is someone there its a destruction.
So I put her down, the paci and she does her thing. How long were those naps? How was he after that?

You really dont have to tell her to be quiet. We are trying to teach our lo to sleep with noise. Ive had pots and pans falling down without her waking. Just the time before the naps and bt.

Hope you day is better today.

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 15:10:03 pm »
Those naps were 30 mins  on the dot but he woke up happy and playful. Last night was rough but he woke up in a weird mood at 1230 so it was hard to resettle him. It's seems to be getting better so fingers crossed we continue down this road.

[/url]