Author Topic: dropping the dream feed- when to do it?  (Read 1043 times)

Offline feldmann

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 28, 2005, 07:56:37 am »
HI
I have been looking on the posts for an answer- maybe someone can enlighten me. My dd is 9 months and has her biggest bottle at df. She wakes up for it anywhere from 9.30-10.30 most nights. From there she sleeps through to 6.30-7.00 which is fabulous. Her daytime feeds are decreasing as she is now on three meals a day, she is dictating that, but she still has a BIG bottle at df and I am thinking she should be weaned from this in order to drink more during day. Can anyone tell me best way to wean the df and when.
Thank you so much :)

Offline Katw

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • High Wycombe, England
dropping the dream feed- when to do it?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 21:10:50 pm »
Hi , We are in the process of dropping the DF at the moment and this is what I have done.

Ours was at 7oz to start so I started to drop it down to 6oz but left the time the same. Then after about a week I went to 5oz and moved to 10.30pm. Then another week and dropped to 4oz and went to 10.15pm.

I have put extra oz in the day but to be honest she doesn't drink any extra. We are now at 3oz at 10pm and my plan is to drop to 2oz on  fri and sat and then stop on sunday - cold turkey!!! And keep my fingers crossed!!!

I don't think I can go down to just 1oz as she is already sometimes crying at just only getting 3oz! I still swaddle so luckily this is calming her and then I quickly get her back to bed and to sleep!

Anyway HTH !!!

Offline Paulsmama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 22:08:10 pm »
Hi, we did something similar to the pp just before DS turned 9 mos and it worked great.  We actually never dropped below 3 oz because he started refusing his dreamfeed completely when he dropped his late afternoon catnap and we were able to move supper a bit later.  So instead of [supper at 4:15, catnap from 5:30-6, bottle at 6:45, asleep at 7:30, DF at 10] we moved to [supper at 5, bottle at 6:30 and asleep at 7].
Cynthia

Paul--spirited/March 2005
Joseph--touchy-textbook??/Sept 2006