Author Topic: Hyperactive during nw's and unpredictable naps. Is easy ok?  (Read 1092 times)

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hyperactive during nw's and unpredictable naps. Is easy ok?
« on: February 03, 2014, 21:53:15 pm »
I have had amazing help on here from creations recently so am hoping for a little bit more advise to hopefully sort out my lo's routine.
He has been a terrible napper since 7 weeks old (now 7 months) but at 6 month with creations help I have seen some big improvements. Very occasionally ( about 3 times in the last month) I have had 2 long naps but more often one long and one 40 mins. Morning tends to be the shorter nap.

I am just wanting to check my routine as although variable I get NWs and yesterday was horrendous!! Awake for 2 and half hours in the night just talking, moving in cot and very hyperactive. I am sure this is a build up of ot as lo never really whinges when tired just gets hyper. He will occasionally rub eyes but more at bedtime. Yesterday he had long am nap and 30 min pm.

Easy is roughly when it goes well -
Wu 7 if lucky
Bf 7.15
Solids 8.30
S 10.10 - 10.50
E 11
Solids 12.30
Top up feed just before sleep
S 1.45 - 3.45 sometimes nap longer and wu maybe as late as 4.30
Solids 5
E 6.30 and in bed. Asleep by 7

Nw varies but often around 12 ( can settle with shh/pat if not hyperactive) nw 3am feed

My questions are - if my 2nd nap is 2hrs or more is it ok to have 40 min am nap?
Is the feed pre pm nap ok? I just added it as it ensured not waking from hunger.
He is a pretty poor eater ( solids and bf) so want to leave a longish gap till evening solids as this seems to help. He bf poorly in the morning and never eats breakfast so really keen to drop night feed but just can't see how this will happen. Any ideas?

I bf in dark room at bedtime. Tried with lights on and then putting him down. Unable to settle himself tonight and needed patting. Normally fine and always awake when I put him down. Should I feed with the light on?
Also cries when I leave him for his naps now but did not used to. Do u think he is ut/ot?

Sorry for all the questions just really want to improve our nights as feel that poor nights leading to unpredictable days and poor eating!!

Thank u in anticipation xxxx

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: Hyperactive during nw's and unpredictable naps. Is easy ok?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 13:56:05 pm »
Awake for 2 and half hours in the night just talking, moving in cot and very hyperactive.

This type of NW was always UT for us (or sometimes teething). Your LO might be OT as a result of all the wakings. If you're getting one shorter nap it might be time to tweak the routine again slightly. It seems like quite a short A time to BT, it might be that he's UT at BT because of this short A time, even though generally a bit OT.

The crying when being put down for naps could be UT/OT, it's hard to tell without a couple more days worth of EAS to look at. Do you want to post a couple of days and we can look at it. What is his mood on waking from the shorter naps?
~ Naomi ~

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 10:28:06 am »
Thanks for your reply. He is variable from short naps - wakes whinging but not fully crying. If I try and settle he is just wide awake and smiling but if I leave him he can't settle.

Last couple of days easy are

Sun wu 6.10 (? Due to 3 short naps previous day)
E 6.40
Solids 8.15
S 8.30
Wu 10.50
E 11
Solids 1
Bf 2
S 2.20
Wu 2.50
Solids 4.45
E 6.15
Ebt 6.30
Wu 11- unable to settle without feed
Wu 3 - hyperactive, unable to settle therefore fed. Still awake until held in my husbands arms and sung to. Fell asleep at 5.15am

Mon wu 7.10
Bf 7.20
Solids 8.30
S 9.55
Wu 10.50
E 11
Solids 12.30
Bf 1.30
S 1.40
Wu 4.25 ( I let him sleep dut to very poor night)
Solids 5.15
E 6.40 and bed - needed shh/ pat
Wu 12 - settled him
Wu 2- fed
Wu 5.00 settled self (mantra cry)
Wu 6.20 settled self (mantra cry)

Tues Wu 7.35
E 7.45
Solids 9.30
S 10.35 wu 11.05
E 12
Solids 1
Bf 1.50
S 2 wu 2.40 - cried but then self settled within 5 mins
Wu 4.15 ( had to wake him)
Solids 5.15
Bf and bed 6.45, asleep by 7. Seemed very tired this evening.
Wu 9.50 - had to settle
Wu 12 - unable to settle so fed
Wu 2- self settle (mantra cry)
Wu 5.30 self settle (mantra cry)

Wed wu 7.15
Bf 7.30
Solids 8.45
S 10.05

Currently sleeping.

I know he can settle himself so just not sure why he can't settle himself for first wake ups or why the lack of consistency.
I should say he is always happy really, never whinges for food ( hence late feed at 12 yesterday as completely forgot to feed him!! I blame tiredness!!)

He refuses a bottle or cup of milk, another issue I am desperate to address. Easily distracted in the day so night feed is probably his best feed!! I obviously want to try and stop this and increase day eating.

Hope this is more info. Thanks again for looking and helping xxx

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 11:30:23 am »
Just realised I had written the wrong information down!! On Sunday sleep started at 9.30, not 8.30!!

Yesterday he woke from first nap at 10.40

Took him for weighing so we were out and he was too distracted to feed at 11ish therefore gave solids when we can home at 12.15
Bf  1.30
S in bed at 1.40 but ?when fell asleep. Maybe nearer 2. Wu 3.30
Solids 5
Bf and bed 6.30, asleep 6.50 very tired!
Woke 11.45 fed
Woke 5 self settled
Wu 7.35!! What a good night!!!

Any thoughts?

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 20:09:37 pm »
Hiya, are you regularly feeding to help your LO get drowsy before sleep in the daytime?

Routine wise, the A time is generally about right, at this age 2hr45 to 3hr15 is the average. You could try making sure you're following this before BT too as a couple of times you've had trouble at night when the A to BT has only been 2 hours or so.

Is there any sign of teething?
~ Naomi ~

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 22:05:27 pm »
Hi. Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately today we have the return of the short naps!! 😣 unsettled and ot by bed and first nw already happened by 9.50pm. Husband managed to settle him.

He has just had his bottom teeth come through so may well have had a part to play. The only time I feed close to a sleep is bedtime feed and afternoon feed. I make sure he is always still awake when I put him down.

If I were to drop a feed  then I could feed further away from pm nap time but he just does not eat well enough. Not really sure what to do re solids and increasing them.

What do u think re feeding with lights on. Will that be better? And plan to move out of room in the next few weeks

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 12:15:29 pm »
Well I just can't figure my little monkey out!!

Last night he had nw at 9.0 and 11 which my husband settled him for. He woke at 2.30 when I fed him. I heard him awake at 6 till 6.30 but then apart from a few whinges he slept till 8am!!!

Put him for nap at 10.40 and he has been asleep now for 1 and half hours! Unheard of for morning nap!!
I am sooo happy his naps on the whole have improved but creations advised on getting a consistent routine. Just can't seem to figure out the best easy for this.

I will assume I will just get short pm nap today but if I stick to 7 by then that will be ok won't it?

Thanks for all the support - good to have somewhere to thrash out ideas

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 21:30:37 pm »
Hi, I'm sorry but I'm having a little difficulty following exactly what is happening. Perhaps you could post your whole day in EAS format, this would make it easier to see what is going on? I'm so pleased you managed to get a longer first nap, perhaps you do also need the longer pm nap too to get to BT without him being OT.

Teeth can make a massive difference. Do you think they're all through now?
~ Naomi ~

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 23:05:28 pm »
Hi. Sorry, I have not made my messages very clear!!

Easy yest was

Wu 8!!!
Bf 8.10
Solids 9.30
S 10.40 - put down early as thought would just get short nap and would fit better at this time
Wu 12.15
Solids 1.30 ( missed usual bf after nap as so late in the day)
Bf 2.45
S 3
Wu 4.30
Solids 5.30
Bf and bed 7
Wu 12.30 and bf
Wu 7.20am a fab night!!!

Today I replicated exactly the same for first nap and got 45 mins nap. Had to go out and lo slept in car and woke at 2 and I could not get any more naps from him!!!!

Eventually asleep by 6.20 but feel like tonight will be horrendous!!!!!

Do u have any ideas how to get consistency? I genuinely would not care as I know he can nap longer but nw are awful if naps r poor.

Don't know if I should put a topic elsewhere but really feel I need to drop the nf to increase breakfast and bf intake but not sure how to go about this. Any ideas?

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 23:31:26 pm »
Plus any ideas on settling re nw would be amazing!! My short has been trying for nearly an hour to settle lo with nw - obv due to our horrendous naps today!!!

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 14:23:11 pm »
I think yesterday was a good day but it doesn't necessarily mean the same routine would work after a good night. So perhaps you got a short nap this morning because that length of A was too short.

What time did you try for the second nap?

I think you might get better advice re dropping NF on the BF board, I didn't have experience of this myself. alternatively I can ask some bf eyes to take a look here.
~ Naomi ~