Author Topic: EASY when both naps fall during school run  (Read 991 times)

Offline KookyK

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
EASY when both naps fall during school run
« on: February 25, 2014, 07:57:11 am »
Mums with school age kids what do you do about your baby's naps when the school run gets in the way?

DS is 6 months and I'd like to transition to 2 naps. He wakes about 6.

Morning school run is 8.30-9.15. he falls asleep during this time. When dS was smaller he might stay asleep in the carseat after the school run or I might go for a drive but neither work now he wakes when we get in after 30-45mins. If I transfer him it rarely works.

Afternoon pick up I'm out 2.30-3.15. He often falls asleep towards the end of this (due to short naps earlier). Looking at the BW 2 nap schedule he should sleep 1.30-3. But I can't get him up mid nap and have him sleep.

Such a pain!

He is starting to go to bed at 6.30 ATM.

His Current EASY is either 4 short naps or short naps dring the two scho runs and one slightly longer one around 11 (11-12.30 or something)
DD jan 2008
DS August 2013

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: EASY when both naps fall during school run
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 10:21:37 am »
((hugs))... school runs can be such a pain, especially during transitions! :P

Our school runs are 8.30-9am and 3-3.30pm. With us, dd3 needed to transition to 2 naps around 5 months and she used to almost always fall asleep just as we were back home from the morning school run. I used to take lots of toys with me and sing songs/distract her on the way home (just a 10min ride but enough to make her dose off ::)) and that worked really well. Some days she would get really close to falling asleep but she was pretty good at continuing her sleep in the cot, as long as she wasn't in "deep sleep"... only if she was in the early stages/drowsy state I was able to transfer her. Could you try and distract him? With us, school starts at 8:45 but from 8.30am children can be in the playground and under the supervision of teachers and I do remember dropping the girls off earlier for a few weeks as she was getting used to more A time... would that be an option for you?

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline KookyK

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 13:00:18 pm »
Thanks Layla its so useful to know what others do. Keeping him awake could work if he wakes at 6 as is my aim but sometimes he's up more like 5-5.30
He's a v early riser!! If he's up before 6 its impossible to keep him up.

Today he was awake at 5.55 and fell asleep at 9 on way back to car.
DD jan 2008
DS August 2013

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 11:11:03 am »
I remember the days Jennifer would wake up before 6am and it was crazy but I still had to try and keep her awake (I used to cringe when I'd hear her at 5.30am)....and so we sort of moved onto set nap times then too and she kinda got used to staying awake until 9am. There is a time change coming up though....will that benefit you?

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline KookyK

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 15:27:53 pm »
Actually yes it will help in theory! Good thought that!
DD jan 2008
DS August 2013