Author Topic: Fussy Eating?!?!  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Dunceg

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 08, 2007, 15:43:34 pm »
Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help or has ideas.

My son is now 18weeks old. He was born at 37 weeks and was breastfed for a few weeks before being bottle fed. His weight charted him just under the 9th Centile.
He seemed to naturally start on a 3 hourly routine, starting with 3oz of formula. This progressed over the weeks till we got to 4oz, he began to drain these bottles so we made the occasional 5oz. This is when the problems began. He suddenly gave up wanting to drink anymore then 3oz.
Since then we have had the occasional week where he has had more and last week he was drinking 5oz bottles every 4 hours. But i am taking that as a growth spurt as we are now back to the fussing and drinking about 3oz again.

I am getting a bit frustrated and dont really know what to do. The HV says he's fine because he's not losing any weight but he's hardly gaining. One week it only being half an ounce. She just says he obviously just likes to eat little and often.
I am not too worried as he seems to be happy in himself but so far we havent had a wake free night. His weight did chart half way through just over the 9th centile line but we have now gone back underneath again.
He had in the past slept 8 hours, ie 8pm -4am which was fine. I knew he couldnt with stand any longer at his young age but that only lasted a short while.  This seemed to happen when i dropped the dream feed and this seemed to be making him fuss more. But this in turn meant he was having even less food. 

I was re reading the baby whisperer book and it says that a 4 month old baby shouldnt be on a 3 hour routine so i decided to give the 4 hour routine a go and hope that it would make him that bit more hungrier to take on more milk.
The day went as follows;

7am 2.5oz
11am 3oz
3pm 5oz ( premade carton formula)
7pm 3oz
11pm Dream feed, althoug he was already awake fussing. 3oz
Then he fussed every few hours in the night until i gave in and fed him at 4.30am and he only took 2.5oz

So today meant that at 7am he wasnt ready for food and by 9am he wanted more but only took 3oz, he was then fussing again by 12pm and again has only taken 3oz, i have just fed him again and he's taken 4oz. Trouble with this is that i have already sunk back into the 3hour routine and i have had to because he wont wait another hour for food.

Whilst feeding he takes the food down but its almost like he gets bored and just gives up trying. I have increased the teat size to size 3 but the next lot up are for 6months plus so not sure i should try them, thinking size 3 might be too slow and too much effort for him?!?!?!? I have also tried leaving it a bit and trying again half an hour later but he still doesnt want anymore.
He suffers with a lot of wind, doesnt always burp after milk even with the help of infacol but he can belch about 2 hours later. His belly seems bloated and hard sometimes but i dont know how to help him out. I have tried winding him for ages after food, rubbing his belly etc but still nothing.  I am now wondering could it be the milk? Or is it as the hv says that he likes to eat little and often. If this is the case, how can i get enough food into him to make him give me a few hours decent sleep at night. I am just beginning to find the whole feeding thing a bit frustrating.

Any help would be most welcome as i dont seem to getting any help from my HV.

Cheers :O)

Dunceg

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: Fussy Eating?!?!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 17:23:40 pm »
Hi and welcome to the boards.

From the sounds of what you are saying, it definitely sounds like your DS is ready for the next size up teat.  My DS was around 4 months when he was on the #4 teat - it might be worth a try.

If you find that the #4 is too fast you can always make an additional hole in the #3 using a pin.

HTH's
Paula
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Dunceg

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 17:35:32 pm »
Hi there thanks for your reply. :)

Is there a size 4 teat? or is that the 6month+  one? We use the advent ones. If so is he able to have that?? I know that sounds silly as i have always increased the size before the stated age but with it saying 6months, thats more of a jump up and don't want him to be flooded. I guess i should just buy some and have ago or like you said make another hole in a teat with a pin.

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 19:43:49 pm »
Yes the 6 month+ one is the # 4, or you can get the veri flow ones.

Our DS handled these well at around 4 months.  We never followed the age on the box of the teats, we just went by our lo.

Give it a try, if it is a bit fast you can always switch back and make an extra hole.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Offline Dunceg

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 10:27:26 am »
Well we had a fun night. He was fed at 10.30pm last night and he took about 4.5oz by a dream feed. He then woke about 3am and i decided to give him some food rather than to let him fuss and see if he really wanted it or not. By 5am he was crying the place down, i got up several times replaced the dummy and even tried leaving him to see if he would settle on his own. This went on until 7am when i fed him again. 3oz is all he took.... grrr! So i have been out this am and bought some no.4 teats. He fussed for milk again at 10am so i used one of the teats and he still stopped at 3oz, i burped him and tried again and he fussed a bit but took a bit more, burped him again and tried once more but it was making him upset so i stopped. I will persevere with these teats as they arent too bad for him. But it doesnt look so far like its the teat size.

Am i storing up trouble for myself by continuing to feed him every 3 hours? or should i really be trying hard to get him on to a 4 hour routine. I am sure i could be stubborn enough to not give into him  ;) but at the moment i am so confused i really dont know what to do for the best and i do worry that i am making more problems for myself.

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 17:12:52 pm »
Keep us posted on how the teats go.

At 18 weeks you should ideally be aiming to get your lo onto a 4 hour EASY.  If you don't think he can handle it just yet you can always start by transitioning him onto a 3.5 hour EASY.

Have you had a look at this link on Time to Transition?

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63161.0