Author Topic: poor milk drinker  (Read 784 times)

Offline ccasnv

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 13, 2007, 14:45:01 pm »
My baby is 8mths old and has never been keen on her milk. From 5mths it has gotten progressively worse..sometimes taking an hour to have just 5oz. Now its even worse...shes down to a couple of ounces.. she is not lactose intolerant..I've tried changing formulas, soya milk and adding sugar to the milk to no avail. Her total milk intake is now 15oz for the whole day including yogurt and milk added to her solids. Does anyone know of any tricks I can try.
Samantha

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
Re: poor milk drinker
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 15:07:32 pm »
Hello Samantha and welcome!

Perhaps a larger nipple size would help?  My son at around 6m liked a Y cut nipple for his formula.  Maybe in a sippy?  Some babies just don't need/want a lot to eat.  Could she be teething?  What does your pedi think?  Is she gaining well, etc?  I think you should discuss with them about adding anything to the formula - but when I transitioned to milk, for a while we used a tsp of vanilla carnation breakfast in 8oz of milk and then slowly put less and less of it in.  Perhaps something like that would work - but again, discuss adding anything like that to your baby's diet with your doctor first.

HTH some!
Zoey

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: poor milk drinker
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 20:39:58 pm »
I agree with Zoey, I would definitely try a bigger size teat, it could be that your lo is bored with the flow of the milk.

Teething can also play a big part in it, as I replied in your other post.

Let us know how you get on with the bigger size nipple.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007