Author Topic: Should I wake her up?  (Read 901 times)

Offline AZmom09

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 07, 2012, 10:15:15 am »
My lo is 1 week old. She is usually nursing every 3 hours and at night its around every 4-5 hours.
During the day, sometimes she sleeps over the 3 hours and passes the time to be nursed, so ive been waking her up BUT the feed is SO hard b.c she keeps falling back to sleep. Should i let her sleep and wake on her own? or do i wake her up once its been 3 hours?
TIA

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Should I wake her up?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 11:42:20 am »
Personally I'd let her sleep for up to 3h at a time before waking her :)  My LO did some epic naps in the early days!  You don't want her to do much more than that in a stretch during the day though or it becomes hard to distinguish day and night.  Hope that helps......and congratulations on your new LO!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 19:53:51 pm »
I agree with Katherine. My ob told me to allow anything up fo 3hrs of sleep between feeds during the day and 4hrs of sleep between feeds at night for the first 2 weeks. Not only does this ensure she takes enough milk it will help establish your supply. You're looking to feed 8-12 times in 24hrs at this stage so you wouldn't want that big a gap between all feeds of course. After 2wks he said to allow him to sleep as long as he would at night and only wake for the day feeds. Normally by 6wo she'll be waking by herself and not need so much sleep.

Congrats on your newborn bundle of joy :)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 21:43:42 pm »
As the others have said, unless there's any good reason to wake and feed more frequently (blood sugar issues, jaundice etc) then let sleeping babies lie :)
*** Amanda ***