Author Topic: Getting enough?  (Read 1102 times)

Offline AZmom09

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 12, 2012, 08:09:47 am »
My LO is two weeks old now. She has not had any bottles and is only breastfeeding. The thing is, I am not always sure she is getting enough. Each nursing session can take a full hour, in between feeding, burping, and changing diapers. I nurse on one side till she empties it (or at least till i think she empties it) and then switch sides. After i did that this morning i decided to pump the side that i thought she emptied, and i ended up pumping 1 ounce of milk. Should that be happening? Does that mean she isnt getting enough?
Also, should nursing take that long!? I have two other kids and this long nursing makes dealing with them impossible.
Please help!

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Getting enough?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 14:16:59 pm »
Sometimes in the early days they will take quite a while to nurse, but an hour is quite a long time.  Do you have a local BF support group you could go along to so they can have a look at your positioning and attachment and make sure the latch is as good as it can be?
*** Amanda ***

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 17:38:21 pm »
Your body makes a lot of milk in the early days too and pumping is never all that great of an indicator of supply.  I'd be more concerned with her number of wet diapers -- are you getting enough wet and dirty diapers each day?  Is she actively nursing for that entire hour?  Often, LOs will switch from the suck-suck-swallow pattern to more comfort nursing (the best way I heard to describe it was like a fluttering sensation) at which point you can count the feeding as done!  Like Amanda said, a bfing support group is a great resource in the beginning, just to make sure all is going well.

Offline AZmom09

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 18:42:45 pm »
The hour isnt only nursing, its burping and changing diapers too. But she is on and off. sometimes she will actively nurse for 10 minutes, but really not more than that. She is having the right amount of diapers...i guess maybe i should stop being paranoid?
I just hate that i cant see what she is getting...
What would be the normal amount of time of active sucking? more than 10 minutes?

Thanks!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 19:16:28 pm »
10 minutes can be just fine.  If she seems content after that, then just follow her lead.  She knows how big her stomach is :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 01:23:16 am »
There's really not an exact "average" at this age, but like Amanda said, 10 minutes would be totally fine. 

Offline AZmom09

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 07:22:12 am »
ok will give it a try and see how it goes. I got i down to 40 minutes yesterday, so maybe over time it will get less and less as she gets older.
Thanks!