Author Topic: weaning/constipation  (Read 1213 times)

Offline caoimhe mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: May 03, 2012, 08:43:49 am »
hi ladies

just wondering if anyone has any ideas re  weaning and if they have any trouble with constipation.  my lo is 6months.  the weaning was going ok.  on and off she would start to refuse the solids.  she is breastfed and i always feed about 1hr before i give solids.  we were doing fine no real issues, gradually offering a new food every few days. one feed a day around 11 and mid-day. 

then we moved to two feeds a day.  when i say two feeds a day.  the feeds are very small only a few spoons.  some days she would more so i gave it to her but that resulted in her been constipated. then she started refusing her feeds alltogether.  we went back to nothing and started again.   so as we went on i restricted her to just small amounts.

then i went onto to getting her on the bottle.  so for one feed a day i was giving her 50/50 bm/formula.  then i decided i should probably go a bit slower so its more like 25/75, formula/bm. so here we are again constipated.  i am giving her prunes juice watered down.  and the only food she is taking is pears which is fine as its meant to be good to help her go.  we are not having much joy though.  its horrible seeing her strain so much and still no result for her. 

has anyone got any ideas     

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: weaning/constipation
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 12:44:38 pm »
Both formula and solid foods can cause constipation in BF LOs.  Are the pears helping any or is it too soon to tell?
*** Amanda ***

Offline caoimhe mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 14:12:23 pm »
she has been on pear only, no other solids except for the 2oz of formula for three days and we have gotten one poo but she is trying all the time to go. iykwim.  poore little thing

Offline caoimhe mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 14:13:47 pm »
sorry i gave her prune juice yesterday and 1 one prune today.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 21:21:00 pm »
Hmm, not sure :-\
I'll see if I can get someone else to have a look and see what they can suggest. x
*** Amanda ***

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 21:23:23 pm »
Hi hun, is her BM hard once she actually does one?
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 03:48:56 am »
Just putting my 2 cents worth in. DS went through a period of discomfort just getting used to having solids go through his gut, much like when he was newborn and getting used to having milk go through his gut. I found offering a little BF after solids or a little water with solids helped for him. Its a new sensation and poo will be slightly more solid and feel different as it makes its way through and out. If she's truly constipated, she's likely to be in a lot of pain and when she does poo, it'll be hard and almost pellet-like.

Here's some more info:
http://www.babycareadvice.com/babycare/general_help/article.php?id=48
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=167195.0

Offline caoimhe mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 06:43:43 am »
thanks ladies

yesterday she passed two bm.  they weren't that hard at all.  sorry i guess i'm so used to her being like clock work in that department(b the only department like that) i got a bit nervous.

becj86 thanks for them websites they are just what i've been searching the web for.  had i had them i wouldn't have been bothering ye.  all the same its still nice to get some hand on experience with these things

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 08:09:42 am »
All good, that's what we're here for. I found that on the Health & Medical board when I had the exact same concern as you. xx

Offline caoimhe mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 14:25:39 pm »
hilarious i never make it past the sleeping and eating boards, so i never new any of that other stuff existed.  this site is amazing.  it has got me through so much already.i would be lost without it.