Author Topic: Almost 1 year - to wean or not to wean  (Read 1137 times)

Offline krispifsu

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Almost 1 year - to wean or not to wean
« on: May 08, 2012, 13:12:57 pm »
My son will be a year old at the end of this month. I have been trying to determine what to do with his milk feeds.  Currently he breastfeeds first thing in the morning (7 am), two times in the afternoon (usually 1 and 4), and before bed. We still typically have a NW that I feed him anytime between 1 and 4 and ocassionally an early morning feed at 5 or 6 depending on the time of his NF. So clearly he is still nursing a lot and is very much attached to nursing. I think he's eat me alive if I let him.

But we're coming up on a year and I started weaning my daughter at that time. I thought I would do the same with my son this time too but I am considering continuing the nursing past a year because he demands to nurse still while my daughter gave it up without a second thought and he is a little food sensitive (I still have to watch both my diet and his or his reflux flares terribly).

My issue though is that I work out of the home 3 days a week. Right now I feed the AM feed, pump mid day for the first afternoon feed, and the feed when I get home. If I continue to nurse, I'd like to drop the mid-day pumping session. Would it be possible at a year to only nurse before I leave for the office (7-7:30) and then no milk until I get home at 4-4:30??? Or is that too long between feeds?

Also, he is still a horrible sleeper and typically ends up in bed with me after the first NW. I was thinking that possibly by weaning him, he would be a little lessy needy of me. I know that sounds bad, but I've been sleep deprived and exhausted for 11 months...although I'm sure when he's a teenager I'll be wishing for him to "need" me like he does right now.

Offline krispifsu

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Almost 1 year - to wean or not to wean
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 13:19:42 pm »
I also meant to ask - if I continue breastfeeding - do I have to offer cow's milk at a year or can I hold off? My son has reacted to alfredo sauce (a teeny tiny bit) and a bit of mac-n-cheese. I think straight milk in mass quantity would send him off the deep end.

Is there something other than water or juide that I can offer him to drink. He gets maybe 2 or 3 ounces total each day of water or watered down apple juice or pear juice. He is eating a good variety of foods each day and likes his finger foods a lot.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 13:22:49 pm by krispifsu »

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 13:31:25 pm »
Hi there, congrats on reaching a year :) There's no reason you can't do an AM and PM feed only, I was down to 1 or 2 bf feeds in 24 hours by 12mo. He doesn't need milk as his prime source of nutrition past 12mo, so as long as he's getting calcium from other sources there's no reason to replace the other day time feeds with cow's milk. If you do want to drop the daytime feeds, drop them one at a time to lessen the risk of engorgement. If you can keep up AM and PM BF, plus calcium from other sources that sounds great :)
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline krispifsu

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 13:52:04 pm »
Oh thank you! :)

I think that just might work for us.

I feed him a container of yogurt everyday that he tolerates well and also try to offer fruits/veggies like spinich, brocolli, asparagus, carrots, papaya, etc. That have more vitamins/minerals in them. If anything I suppose I could talk to his pediatrician about a supplement if she thinks he needs it.

Thanks!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 19:04:31 pm »
Agree with Charlibob.  Some people have success with almond milk, I've heard.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 23:20:10 pm »
If you're worried about nutrition, your ped can always test for some things -- mine have all had their iron levels tested at a year.  There are lots of non-dairy sources of calcium, I'd just do some research and substitute some of them for the feeds.

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 18:36:11 pm »
Well done on making it to a year!  There is no need to wean if you are not ready - I was giving both my dds 2 feeds a day from about a year. For both of them I gave cows milk after their lunchtime sleep instead of bm, but my ds is not very happy with dairy so I have been giving coconut milk with breakfast which he loves - you could also try soy, or one of the nut milks (almond, hazlenut), or oat, rice or hemp milk. Most varieties of those here have added calcium.