Author Topic: Need longer naps for 6 week old  (Read 962 times)

Offline TysBetha

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Need longer naps for 6 week old
« on: March 11, 2006, 22:32:30 pm »
This forum offers so many good ideas...hope you can help with this.

My son is now 6 weeks old...we've been doing easy since his first week.  He is a spirited/touchy, and is easily over stimulated.  We're on a flexible 3 or 2.5 hour schedule, starting at 6 or 7 in the morning, adjusting through the day to do our last cluster feed at 7 or 7:30 and a dream feed at 1030-1100pm.  He is about 11 lbs and eats between 3 and 4 oz each feed, about 9 feeds a day (waking at about 130am and 430am). He generally sleeps pretty well between nighttime feeds, once we can get him to sleep.  He often wakes shortly before nighttime feeds very gassy, in pain; we are working on that and I think we'll get better.  Usually he sleeps about 8 hours between 8 pm and 8 am.

He has never slept more than 45 min during nap time.  Activity time is short...diaper change, sometimes 5 min in the swing.  We have a consistent naptime routine.  I pick him up, go to his room, swaddle him, turn on the radio static/white noise, turn off the lamp and rock him to settle him down.  Settling him down takes quite a while...minimum 5 minutes, and he ALWAYS cries, struggles and tries to spit out his paci. Once he is very drowsy, I put him in his crib and sit with him for at least 10-20 min, holding his paci and holding his legs down.  He will generally fall asleep without too much trouble in the mornings, but as the day goes on this becomes harder and harder. :P  He wakes at exactly 40 minutes, and the only way I can get him back to sleep is to sit with him in the dark, with his paci in his mouth as he thrashes, trying to hold his legs down.  If I can manage this, he doesn't cry hard, but he doesn't go to sleep 8 times out of 10. I tried this for 7 days straight, and didn't seem to make much progress.  (sh/pat makes him scream...does NOT work).  I have tried wake to sleep (touched his cheek, and he rolls over, opens eyes and closes them, or wiggle the paci back in) and that has worked once, but usually end up sitting there trying to sooth him back down.  We try this until it is almost time for the next feed, and then start all over.  The upshot is he gets beween 3-4 hours of sleep during the day, sometimes as much as 5 1/2, with a LOT of work.  He starts the day pleasant and smiling, but by the time we hit the evening, he is crying constantly.  I know this affects his bedtime, and suspect that it affects his nights.

This can't be enough sleep.  He seems so overtired by the time we hit the evening, and then there's the gas, it is a wonder he gets to sleep at night.

What do I do?  Do I just accept three 45 minute naps?  Isn't this too little for a 6-week old?  Can I really teach him to sleep longer than 45 minutes?  We've tried the swing, and when he's beyond tired I've held him for a whole day of napping just so he can get back on track (I've done this twice in 4 weeks).  Sometimes he'll nap in the baby bijorn.

Sorry this is so long.  I've read Tracey's book...tabbed it and highlighted it...and been all around the website.  I'm just not sure my LO is old enough to 'learn' to sleep.  Am I wrong?  Has anyone been successful with one this young?  Can someone tell me a plan to fix this? ???

Thanks so much.
Elizabeth

Betha, Tyler's mom
26 Jan 06

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Re: Need longer naps for 6 week old
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 12:29:35 pm »
Hi there, welcome to the site, and congratulations on your beautiful baby boy :)

I was wondering if you had seen the stickies at the top of this forum? There are some great sleep interviews with Tracy, and one in particular about teaching sleep to newborns that would be great for you. Here's the link if you have trouble finding it:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=39164.0

It sounds like you are doing a great job with him. The first couple of months I had with ds went by in a haze of confusion, I had no idea what I was doing. Then I discovered BW :)

Are you concerned about the gas problems? Do you think it is causing him problems sleeping? If so, then ask your doctor or nurse what they think - we used gripe water, which worked brilliantly, but see what they recommend. Also, I'm no expert on this, but it might be an idea to eliminate reflux (like I say, eliminate it, I'm not saying that's what it is). Here's a link to the reflux 101 thread to check:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0

If he starts the day smiling but crying by nightime, however, if does sound like he's getting overtired. Longer naps than 45 minutes are needed. If sssh/pat does not work (I know it doesn't for some spiriteds - it winds them up), then this is important. It's taken from the sticky Teaching Sleep to Newborns.., but it's particularly relevant to you:

-- keep awake times short, act on the first yawn, careful not to overstimulate and overtire
-- swaddle swaddle swaddle
-- have a consistent wind down routine
-- some babies, particularly spirited, need a dark environment. Also white noise will block the outside sounds.
-- some babies respond to pat-shush, some respond to either pat or shush
-- make sure they are falling asleep in their beds.. they can start the stages of falling asleep on you, but in bed by stage 3, if not, then they will jolt awake because of the weight of their body.
--I'm a side sleeper fan, APA says it's okay
-- Hand pressure helps to settle into sleep, and helps with the jolts.. hand on the thigh, top arm, and other hand shielding over eyes to block visual stimulation. Some pressure (not over eyes of course) but not hard.
--and in the beginning, stay at least 20 mins.

Is your lo swaddled? If not, I'd highly recommend it, it could help him through his sleep transition at 45 minutes. I also found that ds's room had to be completely dark, and we used a air conditioning unit as white noise, which really helped.

Another great resource for 45 minute naps is here:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=649.0

It's a direct account of how Tracy helped a lo who was not much older than your lo at the time.

HTH, I'm sure others will be able to chime in and help.
Please let us know how you are getting on
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline TysBetha

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 17:27:18 pm »
Caroline,
I've tried to post this reply a few times...I'll go with the short version this time.

First, thanks for the long reply...I know you have a lot of posts to answer.

Second...still working the gas issue...seems to be tied to my breast milk, even tho I've changed my diet and all.  We're working with the pediatrician on it, but I think we're getting better.  Definetly impacts his sleep some...he wakes sometimes crying and thrashing.  Very hard to watch since there is little I can do.  We use Colic Calm, which is helpful, but don't want to use it constantly. 

I have looked at the stickies at the front of the forum and will continue to reference.  Good stuff.

I do all of the things Tracey suggests...dark, swaddle, consistent routine, white noise...and he still won't sleep longer than 10 minutes at a pop when I settle him down after the first 45 minute nap.  Can't understand, since he is yawning and dozing off...clearly he is tired.  I may try the approach under Josie's post.

When I consider the amount of time he naps, do I count only the time he is in a good sleep cycle, or are those 10 min dozes part of his daily naps? 

Thanks for the support...has anyone really fixed naps for a younger than 3 month old?  It helps to have you all out there.

Enjoy your spring.
Elizabeth
Betha, Tyler's mom
26 Jan 06

Offline TysBetha

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 21:41:53 pm »
Stacey,
   I'll try putting him on his side...hopefully that helps.  We sing a few rounds of "toes to the nose" when ever we burp during a feed--he gets all red in the face but doesn't seem to mind.   :)  It seems to help, but somehow there are always a few HUGE farts hiding in that little guy.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Did your son outgrow the gas?  Do you know what caused it?  How is he now?

Elizabeth
Betha, Tyler's mom
26 Jan 06