Author Topic: 8 month old still waking in night  (Read 850 times)

Offline ebrook

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8 month old still waking in night
« on: December 14, 2012, 08:52:28 am »
My DS who is just over 8 months is still waking in the night   ??? I read a thread on here by a lady who's 9mo was waking for feeds still too so I thought I'd post a thread and see what advice I get? My son was BF until he was a month old I got pnd and couldn't carry on with it my husband had been deployed to Afghanistan when he was only 6 days old but when he was 2 months old he started sleeping through and carried on doing until he was 6 months, after my dh rnr he totally stopped sleeping through and was getting up 3 times a night but not for feeds, we gave him a bottle as it was the easiest thing to do to get him back to sleep we've now realised we have trained him to be hungry, me and my husband have said enough is enough and are willing to try everything to get him to sleep again. Last night we was given the advice to let him cry. This Is my sons normal routine at night,
6pm he's taken up for bath
10/15 min bath then our dry, talc, inhaler nappy, pjs etc
Bedtime 8oz bottle and put down into his cot
Sleeps until 1:30 and wakes for bottle then back to bed
Sleeps til 5:30 and then is up thinking its playtime
We then try everything to get him back to sleep but it usually ends in us taking him downstairs to watch tv and play

But last night this happened,
Taken up for bath at 6:30
Bath, dry, talc, inhaler, nappy, pjs, bottle and bed
Slept until 11:25!! I let him cry and he fell asleep at 12
Slept all the way til 5:30 I went and gave him a bit of water and his dummy before he properly woke up and started crying and went back to bed and he cried for 20/30 mins, my monitor was off as I could hear him from my bed.
He fell asleep but I'd fallen asleep without my monitor on so when he woke me crying at 7 I don't know if he had been crying between 6 and 7?

I'm so glad he skipped his nighttime bottle and he did manage to self soothe when crying, but if this doesn't work how do I go about getting him to sleep through again?! It's putting a big strain on mine and my dhs marriage as we are constantly both tired and arguing    :(
Any help or advice is a god send!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: 8 month old still waking in night
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 15:48:04 pm »
Hi hun, our site is based on the works of Tracy Hogg who believed that babies shouldn't be left to cry alone, so any advice we give you won't include letting your LO cry (there is something called a mantra cry where you LO is trying to self-soothe -- What’s a mantra cry? -- but any "I need you" cry should be attended to). 

It sounds like you've got a combination of a few things.  First off, he's in the habit of eating in the middle of the night.  You can try to just skip that feed together (we'd advise you to either cut down the bottle by an ounce or two every few nights until he's not taking anything or to use pick up/put down in place of the feed -- How to PU/PD (inc age adaptations) -- PU/PD will be a rougher road in the short term, but will take less time, decreasing the ounces will result in less overall crying but will take longer). 

With the early waking, I'm wondering about your daytime routine and if he might be getting too much daytime sleep.  Can you write out your routine in this form:
E
A
S
so we know what he's doing during the day?  Day sleep and night sleep are connected and one can affect the other.