Author Topic: Early 1-0.....how did it go for you? 26 months  (Read 956 times)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Early 1-0.....how did it go for you? 26 months
« on: March 14, 2014, 14:25:13 pm »
Much as I'd prefer it wasn't the case, I think we're hitting the 1-0 already :( after a couple of months sleeping absolutely loads (!) it seems like sleep needs have dropped by about an hour in 24 and we are having 2-3 NNDs a week now.  The pattern seems to be that she refuses one day, will (usually) nap the next one or two, do a good night of 12h and then refuse nap again.  I'm totally willing to accept it could be developmental but equally she was early with both the 3-2 and 2-1.

Generally mood and behaviour is fine, she's not super OT.  She does have some NWs on NNDs, but we don't shorten the day by much at the moment as super EBT seems to give us a longer night and then more chance of a second NND in a row ::). Which causes more OT overall.  But I am generally speaking a fan of EBT and will happily use it when really needed.

So my plan is to put down for a nap every day, cap at 1.5h if she sleeps and try for 1h quiet time in her room if not.  Does that sound ok?  How did it go for others at this early age?  I know I'm not alone! 

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
Re: Early 1-0.....how did it go for you? 26 months
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 14:34:38 pm »
Thats pretty much how I did it too.  Put her in bed for nap, let her try for 45min-1hr and if she did sleep I let her sleep until 3:30pm (which usually turned out to be a 1.5hr nap if she did fall asleep).

We did set bedtime and let her sleep in the am because there was nothing she needed to be up for anyway.  So we ended up with lots of no nap days in a row, but she was pretty good at self regulating so it didnt turn out too bad.

DD1 started refusing naps around 18mo, lots of no nap days by 2yo, and was nap free before she was 2.5yo :)

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 16:30:12 pm »
We pD for a nap everyday and M usually sleeps but we cap at 1 hour or we get EWing nonsense. Good luck x

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline jenn1975

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 16:47:33 pm »
At 30 months we are right where you are as well. And it's been going on for 2-3 months.

We alternate between early bed time of 7:30pm on NNDs, and a late bed time of 9pm when he naps. He's still napping about 5 days a week at the moment.  He naps around 2pm for an hour or so. I'm sure we will be nap free by the time he's 3.

This is actually good for me because I'm learning to be more flexible. I've gotten a lot less schedule focused in the past few months, just going with the flow. Nice because I've spent his first 2.5 years a schedule junkie!

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 20:07:00 pm »
Oh yes, late bedtime on naps days was key for us too!  Otherwise we would get all sorts of shenanigans at bedtime.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 21:40:38 pm »
Read the title and thought early? Really?

Then I realised you're hitting it only a couple of months after we did! It took about six months to finally drop the nap but we started with one-ish nnd a week and increased from there. His choice, not mine!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 21:53:41 pm »
Lol yes reading around this site 26 months DOES seem early, but in the 'wider world' not so much! Can't tell you how many things I've read recently about 18 month olds not napping!

The NNDs aren't my idea either but I think we'll have to follow her lead. Having a plan at least helps me feel like I have an element of control in the matter!  We've had the odd NND for around four months now so perhaps I should have seen this coming.....

On the plus side, night 2 in BGB going ok so far despite a NND :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 21:59:03 pm by jessmum46 »

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 06:08:35 am »
We were well into NNDs by 26 months too and lily had stopped napping altogether by around 28-30 months. We used to pd for a nap as well and use the gro clock to let her read / play.  If she was still awake 45 minutes later when the sun came up we'd abandon the nap.  Otherwise she was allowed to sleep til 2.30 / 3ish I think.  If she was tired, she fell asleep earlier and got a longer nap.  If not she got a shorter one.

When she started regularly refusing we switched to a car nap for 30 minutes every few days til even that was causing problems.

Offline HenaV

• Showing Appreciation 39
  • My shining light
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 18:13:06 pm »
We had some nap refusal at this age but my gut feeling with R was that she wasn't ready to drop  the nap and I certainly wasn't!!  :(

For us it turned about to be developmental and a but of regression which sticking as close to her routine as possible, insisting on a nap and using Wi/WO was key and did the trick. At 31m the nap is shorter and a bit later but still going string. So maybe just maybe your isn't ready? 26m
Does seem a tad young t me x

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 18:28:59 pm »
Yes that was my thought too Hena, I remember reading about a few LOs messing about with naps at around this age. I guess just sticking with attempting a nap every day is all we can do and it will become clear one way or the other!

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 18:29:49 pm »
We dropped cold turkey with C at 25mos. She did 13-13.5hr nights for a good long while! Totally bliss- no issues.
Now I know with G nothing is going to be so easy...::)

*Nicola*

Offline PineapplePrincess

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 20:57:37 pm »
We dropped cold turkey two weeks ago. His total sleep is still inconsistent. We get between 11.25-14.5 hours. Last night he did only  7-6:15 so I am putting him to bed by 6:00 tonight. It's seems so early but the last time I put him down at 6 he woke up at 8:30!

29 months is how old my lo is. A few kids in his play group have also dropped their nap so I don't feel so bad. We were getting super short nights even after capping his nap at one hour. He only slept. 9:30/10:00-7:00.