Author Topic: Help! 5 week old won't go down without screaming!  (Read 4002 times)

Offline shell_bell

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help! 5 week old won't go down without screaming!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2005, 19:36:26 pm »
Lisa

I feel exactly the same as you. It is such a struggle to get my girl to sleep and is so frustrating. I am the same - if she was happy to be awake that would be fine, but she too is so grumpy when she is awake except the first 10 minutes after her feed - so obviously her tiredness kicks in after that but she won't go down. Yesterday we had 3 screaming matches before each nap. At night she is better as she normally is really dopey after her feed and falls asleep usually pretty easily. I want one of those angel babies!
I can't wait for the 6 month mark!

Offline lisas

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 20:25:51 pm »
Stacy, thanks for the input into your situation and what is working.  I phoned every person I know top find out what they did.  Most have babies who sleep all the time (we hate them) and the rest said put him on his stomach.  Well, I was leary but yesterday at nap time, I put him on his stomach and observed.  The only time he stirred was to pass gas which didn't seem to bother him.  He slept for 2 1/2 hours and I had a hard time waking him.  He still got up every 2 hours at night but as we speak, he has been sleeping for over an hour.  Let me tell you THIS IS HUGE!!!  I have had days where I didn't eat breakfast until 11:00 or at all.  Today, I cleaned the kitchen, did the washing and hung out with my 3 year old.  So did I sleep last night?  No, I was too worried but tonight I will hopefully be more comfortable.  I talked to my doctor about it today and he said 10 years ago, everyone slept on their stomachs.  You ahve to do what works.

Hope that helps somewhat cause it sure has for me.

Lisa

lstockton@shaw.ca

Offline Cilla

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Proud mom of Ivey
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2005, 05:14:26 am »
My daughter Ivey is a Touchy baby and gets very upset when she gets tired too. She is 7 weeks old and has been much happier this week then last. I know that sounds crazy, but last week she cried all the time and this week it is mainly when she is tired, wet, or hungery. I know every where you look tell you to put your baby on their back or side to sleep, but until I started putting her on her stomach to sleep, she hardly slept. Now she sleeps more soundly and seems more rested. I just make sure there is a tight sheet under her, and that nothing is where it can cover her face. She also will scream like crazy when she is tired, so I shh/pat and sometimes even walk into the bathroom and run water(the sound is calming) till she calms a little, then put her in her bed, kiss her and tell her I love her, then leave her. She will fall asleep usually within 5 min. if not I go pat her and tell her I love her again, then leave, wait another 5 min. if not then walk in dont touch her and just say reassuring things, and leave again. Unless she is dirty or something. that usually works if not I pick her up to calm her and try again. Honestly though, the first few times took the longest, and now she is asleep in about 5 min.

Offline M&M's Ima

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2005, 10:10:49 am »
ds takes his naps on his stomach for the same reason. he still does some 30 minute ones  :evil: but also some 2 1/2 hours. :D

stacy, i am the same way about getting all neurotic if i'm thinking i have to follow BW to the letter. it is, after all, just a book, and doesn't take into consideration your exact lifestyle or situation. but a lot of it really works so well, i'm so glad i found it!

We'll be missing a nap cuz big ds has an immunization scheduled for this afternoon. This afternoon is going to be a bunch of thirty minute naps :x .
(I'm praying he'll sleep okay while we're out, and not get overtired, but what are the chances?)
My boys:
Angel four year old
Spirited two year old
Very Sleepy Baby