Author Topic: Can constipation be a food sensitivity symptom?  (Read 9559 times)

Offline ~Jen~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Can constipation be a food sensitivity symptom?
« on: August 05, 2011, 09:40:32 am »
I've started a very very slow weaning process for my super sensitive DD.  I'm still on an incredibly strict ED as well.  She used to get bad mucousy poos and we always suspected although never officially confirmed she had leaky gut.  I think her gut is much much better now.  It took a few months but through my diet and supplements, I think we have gotten past it. 

Onto weaning, which has been difficult so far because we are being extra careful - the good news is, since switching to solids, no more mucous poos.  But she seems to be going the other way, now constipated.  She strains really hard, face turns red, and she poos little hard pellets (sorry for TMI).  Her diet still consists of only a few foods - mainly things that through trial and error we "think" are safe like apple, carrot, green beans, green peas.  I remember reading that constipation can also be a sign of food sensitivities?  She always seems constipated first thing in the morning after her milk.  Then after her breakfast, which is always fruit and usually apple, she goes again and it is back to normal. The rest of the day is usually ok although sometimes her poo does go hard again.  Aside from carrots, I can't really link her eating particular food to constipation.  I guess I don't know how quickly after eating something it could block her up again?   Do you think the constipation is just her gut getting used to solids or could this be a reaction to something just no longer in mucous poos but with constipation. Oh and the other thing to mention is she also has started NWs anywhere from 2-3 per night.  That also makes me think we are giving her something that is upsetting her.  I went back to basics yesterday and just gave her carrots - her night was so much better. She slept like a rock and wasn't shifting around like she had been doing lately.  Only problem is she woke up this morning, with really hard pellet poops.  :(   

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Can constipation be a food sensitivity symptom?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 15:45:25 pm »
Oh dear, it is so hard to wean a sensitive bubs. I feel for you. I think constipation can be a symptom yes. However I think that some constipation can be 'normal' for some bubs when weaning. Olly got it after some foods when he was young but that he is OK with now. Apple I seem to remember as being one thing that bound him up.

I would think the unsettled nights are more of a symptom TBH, unless they are due to the constipation?

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 00:10:02 am »
Jen, My LO has also really suffered with constipation when I started solids. I waited a long time since he is MSPI. I have found that carrots, apples, and yams/sweet potatoes all really backed him up. I have to really space them out. I also tried prunes and they really helped. He wouldn't take prune juice but loves pureed prunes! I hope she is feeling better!
Katie

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 20:41:45 pm »
Hi Jen, I have a very similar situation to yours. Also been breastfeeding my very sensitive LO on an extremely tight diet. She improved on it but still was quite bad with 5 or 6 nwks and mucousy poops. After months of pressure from paeds, I gave up breastfeeding and switched her over to neocate. It was the hardest thing I had to do and 3 months down the line, I'm still grieving it. Wish that I, like you, hadn't given up. Especially that since then we are battling with constipation. She improved on neocate since she doens't have mucous in her poo, no cradle cap and improved skin but there is this new problem of constipation. She is on Movicol which seems to be helping but not always and we have to use a suppository too to get things going. Very hard to work out what she is reacting to and whether the constipation is a sign of allergy or just constipation. I was told she could just have a lazy gut that will sort itself out in time.
The following are defo constipating: apples, carrots and potatoes. In Hungary where I'm from, mothers are told to avoid these. Instead try peach, apricot, prune, green beans and peas should all be good. I tried prune juice but my LO had very sore tummy from it even though it was well diluted.

Is your LO very windy, too? Mine is.

Apart from this time, does she normally sleep through the night? Mine always wakes a couple of times and takes a bit of milk. It does seem that she is woken by being sore or uncomfortable but I can't work out what's causing the problem.
Her diet looks like this.

Fruits: either pear, peach or apricot
Veg: potatoes (I only use as  a base), butternut squash, sweet potato (interesting that people are saying it's constipating, might try and avoid and see what happens), swede, broccoli (very windy, so I rarely give it)
grains: millet

Tried chicken once but going to hold off, she seemed to be unsettled after eating it.

Sorry for rambling on, not sure if this helps at all.
Jutka - lucky mother to 2 gorgeous babies
Peter 25 Oct 2009 and Julia 28 Dec 2010
Married to a loving and proud husband on 25 Aug 2007

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 23:17:07 pm »
I have heard mixed things about sweet potato - seems some are bothered by it and some find a bit of relief with it.

The best thing I have found for constipation so far is probiotics!  They are actually helping my LO more than Miralax right now... and my DD had bad constipation - we ended up in the hospital because of it :(

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 23:24:29 pm »
Constipation was an issue for my DD with her MSPI.  She actually was in varying degrees of constipation until she was clear of her intolerances.

Before i tried anything else though, I always spent a whole day drinking as much water as I could.  That often helped her move things along.

Then if that didn't help, I looked to what I diet had included to see if that was the culprit.

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 08:35:36 am »
Which probiotics have you used, Kara? I have ABC Solgar dophilus. It's dairy free but has corn (maltrodextrin). The dietitian said it could make her more windy which would be terrible as she is already really windy... :(
When was it that your LO outgrew her intolerances? I'm thinking this will be an issue for us too until then... :(
It's just so awful to see her in pain, straining all day even though she is on Movicol (same as Miralax). I'm also worried that she is on medication - she has been on Movicol for months now. Is that not a problem?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 08:41:30 am by bjutka1 »

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 14:50:24 pm »
I am in Canada and use BioGaia probiotics - they are a liquid as opposed to a powder.  My DD had a terrible reaction to the powdered versions... Maltodextrin has a glycemic index value double that of honey!  She was on a killer sugar rush that lasted a few hours... it was so awful, she just could not settle at all :(

I don't know for sure that she has any food intolerances actually.  She became constipated after a holiday that required her to be in her car seat for 13 hours - ugh.  She was just really increasing her solids intake at the time and didn't drink enough water to keep things moving along... and it was warmer where we were for the holiday as well.  She may have picked up a virus from one of her cousins too... the doctors really were not sure.  She had never had an issue before so they didn't think it was food related.  I do limit her dairy though, as it is known to constipate.  I also make sure that the purees I make for her include something that is known to keep things moving nicely... so I add plums to her carrots, pears to many things as well!

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 18:46:02 pm »
Thanks, Kara. I found Biogaia here:http://www.pcpdirect.co.uk/Pharmacy/Baby-AND-Childcare/1323-Biogaia-Probiotic-formerly-Infacol-Probiotic-Drops-5ml.html

I am able to order it so gonna give it a go. Thank you for the tip!
Only thing is it says it's good for diarrhoea but doesn't mention constipation. But I suppose good bacteria will help heal the gut and work with constipation too. Let's hope for the best.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 22:49:59 pm »
Exactly Jutka... Probiotics help to keep the gut happy and will aid with constipation and diarrhea :)

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 22:05:40 pm »
We are not at a constipated point yet but alyssa is finding it harder to poop but we are very strict on her diet as she is super sensitive too (no egg, dairy, gluten, soy and sals kept to low only) hers started when we introduced rice which i have put down to the grain constipating

NW could be because of the constipation it will make them feel uncomfortable

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 09:17:18 am »
Hi everyone, thanks for all the comments and ideas.  DD still has bouts of constipation but I find after adding peaches into her fruit in the AM - she really gets going.  Thankfully she tolerates it.  Maybe I can try some plums too? 
We are still so limited so it is a balance of working out what foods she can actually eat at this stage with ones that won't get her completely backed up.  her diet is really heavy carrots and apples but as long as I add in her peach it seems to balance her systme out.  I also found that adding milled flaxseed (high fiber) into my diet that has really helped her BM too. 
She still seems to react to grains - we've tried millet and quinoa with no luck.  I'm so tempted to try gluten free oats but I'm really nervous to see what it does to her super sensitive tummy.
We've successfully got her on chicken, lamb and a few small servings of white fish.  The veg is our hardest one.  She is only able to tolerate carrots, green beans, and white potatoes.  I'm trying sweet potato later today for the third time before totally ruling it out.  WE've tried but had no luck with squash, swede, parsnips, peas, cauliflower and courgette. I haven't had the courage to do broccoli yet b/c I know it is gassy. I'm seeing a new dietician next week for some new ideas b/c I'm just not sure where we go from here...