Author Topic: 10 mo 2-1 transition  (Read 1064 times)

Offline sydneyrose22

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
10 mo 2-1 transition
« on: July 18, 2015, 17:19:12 pm »
My 10 mo is starting the 2-1 transition and I have a few questions. Here is our EASY:

E: 6 WU
A
E: 8 solids
A
E: 10 nurse
S: 10-1130
E: 12 solids
A
E: 3 nurse
A
S: 330-420
E: 530 solids
A
E: 8 nurse
BT: 815

So he is at a 4 hr A time and it gets him a 1.5 hr nap, but he wakes up grumpy from it. However, if I take his A time to 3hr45 he only sleeps 45 min. Does he need a longer A time so he will take an even longer nap? Will that improve his mood? He is just SO GRUMPY lately. Both of my boys have been low sleep needs kids with A times on the longer side for their age and this is around the age I switched DS#1 to one nap a day.

Also, the only way I can get DS#2 to fall asleep earlier than the 4 hr A time is to AP which isn't always possible since I have to go for a drive. He also gets very grumpy if I cap his naps. He is also waking up at 6 am lately when he used to wake up at 7/730. I'm just not sure what to do. The day is so long.

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: 10 mo 2-1 transition
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 04:01:04 am »
Right now you seem to be doing a 12 hour day, which is fine. If his normal WU time is between 7 & 7.30, then you have an EW issue on going. Are you comfortable with a 6 am start? Is it not possible to resettle him? IMO, you would still need 2 naps at the moment. A 1 nap routine is only sustainable with the nap happening closer to 12.30 or getting done later - 2/2.30. If you are getting a 1.5 hour nap with 4 hours A, that's fine. Don't reduce A at all. DD went through a phase where she woke crying from every single sleep - it's just their weird thing. So if your am nap is 1.5 hours, you would need to keep the pm nap but you could just APOP a quick 30 CN in a sling maybe??
These were the stages of our 2-1
1) At 4 hours A at 7 months, we moved to 1 long nap of 1.5-2 hours + 30 minute CN with BT 1.5 hours later --- this is to make sure no OT happens, which leads to NWs and EWs

2) When the nap ended 2ish or later, we did one nap day with EBT between 5.30 & 6. This ultimately caused issues as she was doing 14 hour nights and it didn't last long, so we got EWs.

2) I decided to stick to a fixed BT of 7 pm. As A time kept increasing, we moved to 1 long nap + a 10 minute CN and then straight on to BT routine

3) We dropped CN altogether and stuck to one nap as our A moved to 5.30

So I would say that you still have a long ways to go but hold on to 2 naps as long as possible as this is really a tricky one. Pushing too much, too fast can cause a lot of problems

Offline sydneyrose22

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 14:54:10 pm »
It is ending up being a 14 hr day and it's driving me crazy. It's just too long for him to be awake and I have no time to myself because during his naps ds#1 is awake. I would definitely prefer a later start but I tried to resettle him for almost an hour the other day so I think that is hopeless. But I guess I'll just have to deal with it longer based on what you are saying. He just has been very grump all day though, not just when he first wakes up which is why I thought there might be something off with his sleep. Like maybe he actually needs more A time for a more restorative nap?

But really it sounds like I just need to find a way to shorten the PM nap so he isn't going to bed quite so late. Perhaps that is why he has been grumpy. This is a very frustrating transition to me and I'm getting impatient. Thanks for your reply and tips.

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 15:06:07 pm »
EWs are the worst, and it must be especially hard for you handling both your LOs. {hugs} Do let me know how things go