Author Topic: When to be off pureed foods?  (Read 1208 times)

Offline newmom11

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 04, 2008, 19:59:37 pm »
i have a picky 12 month old who is very limited in what he will eat.  his staple items are blueberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, raisins, mandarin oranges, bread, cheese, meat, peas, yogurt, pasta and occassionally green beans or peaches.  that's about the extent of it.  i think he has major texture issues because he will eat pureed banana and pureed carrots, but won't touch them if they are finger foods.  it's like he doesn't like the soft texture or something.  anyway, today i offered him tomato sauce pasta with steamed broccoli, peas and carrots as well as nectarine and he refused all of it.  the only way i could get him to eat is when i opened up a jar of pureed squash and corn and put a bite of the carrot or broccoli in with a bit of the pureed baby food.  i feel like that we should be weaning off of the baby foods, but since he's so particular about finger foods i'm afraid he's not getting enough nutrition if i stop feeding him pureed baby food.  when should they be off of those type foods?  any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

thanks. 

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 02:24:42 am »
I has the same issue somewhat, and what I learned is that there are varying schools of thought on the purees.  I did end up going back to them briefly, since I had the same concerns you did...but I was also scared that I might make any texture issue worse if there was one at all.   One of the BW's here said "What's the big deal about purees? Sometimes my dd has applesauce with his supper and that's ok.  Heck, put some milk into the puree and call it soup!"  ;D   Made me laugh.
 But remember too that these lo's are ever-changing, and what he refuses today he might accept next week.  Also, my dd would refuse some things if we tried to feed her, but would happily eat it if she could do it herself. Took me a while to figure that one out!
  Try overcooking his veggies so they're very soft, and try cutting them up smaller. My dd wouldn't tolerate any "chunks" for a while there.
  Wil he eat dry cereal? What if you added milk?

Trust me, this will pass. 
  And trust me on this too....when it passes, he will do something else to confound you!   ;D

p.s the list of stuff he eats really isn't bad at all!  That's alot of stuff!!! Seems to me veggies are the only issue?? Am I right? 

Offline newmom11

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 02:42:03 am »
really it's veggies and fruits.  i can't get him to eat peaches, bananas, strawberries or really any veggies besides peas.  he used to do green beans, but not any longer.  so do you think i should drop the pureed foods altogether? when did you stop? he's only 12 months old and i'd say he eats about one jar of baby food per meal, the rest are finger foods...it's just the same finger foods over and over again.  also, do you offer only foods you know he will eat or do you offer him what you choose and if he doesn't eat it, he doesn't eat?  my pediatrician acted like i shouldn't be offering him food after food every meal b/c it's only telling him that i'll keep offering him food until i offer him what he likes and then he'll eat it.  why is food and babies so hard? :)  today i had to step outside and take a breather b/c i was so frustrated from my child refusing all the foods he ate yesterday.  thanks for your help...it's good to know that hopefully this is just a phase. 

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 12:13:35 pm »
This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't stress about staying on the baby food a bit longer.  We did, because for a while it was the only way we could get any veggies into her!  After all, it's not as if he's 3 years old...he's still just a baby.
I never knew-know what to do about oferring food after food, and I must have posted about it a million times. I SOOOOO didn't want her to think she lived at a diner, but then I felt bad since if she didn't like something, wasn't it "mean" to not offer her something else?
 Maybe offer one thing he will surely eat, along with something me "might" not. That way he's kinda set up for at least a bit of success?
 I know it's hard and frustrating....and what is UP with getting so happy inside when our babies eat??? We must be hard-wired that way as women!   ::)
 Keep meals as stress-free as possible (easier said than done) so he doesn't associate meals with pressure. I too have had to walk away a time or two.....it is tough sometimes....but I do believe we are past most of it.
 I honestly wouldn't worry about the veggie purees.....have you thoguht of adding some of the "real" veggie to the puree? Like chunks of cooked carrot in the carrot puree?
 You're doing a great job.....and like I said...that list of "acceptable" foods is really good!! Some Moms here have posted that thier kids only eat 2 or 3 things!!

Oh yeah.....one more thing....I had a "thing" with dd having toys while she ate...I didn't like it at all, and thought it was best if she grew up that eating time is social time, chatting, being together, no toys.  Well....you know what? She eats much better with a thing or two to hold and play with.  Just an FYI....I find I can pop things right into her mouth and she is too engrossed in the toy to care!

Offline Lippy Chick

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • North Tyneside, UK
Re: When to be off pureed foods?
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 20:35:02 pm »
Hi,

Afraid I did Baby-led weaning, so would say forget about purees altogether.  I watched a TV programme (in the UK) recently about picky eaters (they were only eating chocolate, your child has a great diet in comparison).  This expert says to give your child what you know they will eat and also introduce other things too.  Hopefully they will eat new food eventually.  Have you checked out the recipe page in the food section, there are loads of ideas for 6-9 and then for toddlers 9 months plus.  I make wee tuna croquettes, which go down really well and are soft.  Or there's the infamous sausage recipe.  My muffin recipe has also gone down well with other parents and with Alice.  I guess a lot of it will be trial and error, like everything really as a parent  ::)  I also mush banana onto bread for Alice and she likes that.  Or tuna mushed into some butter and spread onto bread, or mixed with mayonnaise.  Hopefully some ideas for you to try out.

Pauline
Pauline
Alice (30th March 2007)

The Lord is my Shepherd, I'll not want.

[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1097063.png[/img]

Offline newmom11

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 00:45:29 am »
thanks for the advice.  we tried banana dipped in crushed graham crackers and he ate that so i was very pleased.  the pureed foods are just nice because you know they are getting the right amounts of fruits and veggies.  i'll check out the recipe page and thanks for your ideas.  i haven't tried tuna yet so we'll be sure and try that next.