Author Topic: Help! Night Weaning BF at 6 months  (Read 917 times)

Offline Bethdemund1120

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 11, 2013, 11:35:09 am »
So we are desperately trying to get our 6 month old to STTN which he will randomly do but more commonly wakes every 2.5-3hrs to feed.  We did pu/pd training to teach him to fall asleep on his own and he is now able to go to sleep on his own for naps and initially at bedtime.  He is on a 3-4hr EASY but we keep it pretty flexible as far as actual timing just making sure everything happens in right order and playing off his tired cues for naps.  His naps are anywhere from 40min to 1.5 hrs and he usually only takes 2 a day.  He is BF usually 5x a day (not including night feeding) and on 3 solid meals.  I try to cluster feed him right before bed and make his last solid meal be semi close to bed time.  Bedtime is between 8p and 9pm and he usually sleeps until around 9am waking twice.  The night before last he slept for 9.5hrs without waking so I got my hopes up that he had dropped the first night feed on his own.  Last night he woke after 3.5hrs and I had decided not to let him eat until at least 6hrs into night.  He cried for 2 hours before he fell back asleep!  Tried shush/pat.  Tried pu/pd but he never calmed. Tried giving him water but he just got mad.  Tried just rocking with him.  Then he woke 3hrs later and I went ahead and fed him.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a sample day but it often fluctuates because he sleep times are so inconsistent
E - 9:30am BF & solid (or bottle of expressed milk if I'm at work)
A
S - 11:30-12 usually an hour at this one
Y
E - 1pm BF & solid
A
S - 3-3:30pm usually 45min
Y
E - 4-4:30pm BF (or bottle EM)
A
S - rarely will take another nap but only 30 min if he does
Y
E - 6pm BF & solid
A
E - 8pm BF
S - 8:30-9pm Bedtime

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: Help! Night Weaning BF at 6 months
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 13:17:28 pm »
Hugs Hun.  Does he go back to sleep if you do feed him?  Also is he taking a full feed?  If the answer is yes to both, then I would feed him.  STTN is a developmental milestone much like crawling or walking and babies will be able to STTN when they are ready.  While ensuring that they have eaten well during the day helps, it's no guarantee that they still won't need extra calories during the night.  There is also a gs at 6 months that can be quite pronounced for some babies. 

A couple of other questions just to rule out other possibilities.
Does he have any tummy issues (reflux), gas or constipation, especially since starting solids?
Is he teething?  How many teeth does he have?