Author Topic: HELP me get reacquainted with EASY  (Read 3732 times)

Offline ChicStylishMom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
HELP me get reacquainted with EASY
« on: August 18, 2013, 12:30:22 pm »
My DS is 22 mnths old and since 6 wks we followed easy. It really developed our son to have a great feeding and sleeping routine. I now have a 13 day old newborn baby girl. I know it's early to start anything now but I just wanted to refresh my memory of the easy routine for 4 wk
Old which is when we will try to implement easy. So for a 4 week old shell be on the 3 hr easy with a dream feed at 10-11pm and let her sleep through. Don't burp her at dream feed?  Don't change diaper unless its "dirty". Do you offer her normal oz at her DF ? It's ok if she doesn't drink all the oz or should she? Just getting the info in order since its been 2 yrs since I did this last. Thanks

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: HELP me get reacquainted with EASY
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:44:44 am »
Hi, congratulations on your new bundle!

Yes, at 4 weeks it should be a 3h EASY, but many babies don't get to that. Many still need to feed at 2-2.5h (also depends if she is BF or FF), so at this early age it's still more following her cues.
DF is at 22-23 but you should still expect more NF, it's just to give YOU a better stretch at the beginning of the night. I personally had to burp after the DF and any other NF because DS would wake up at 4-5AM which very bad wind if I didn't. I would offer a normal bottle for the DF and it's ok if she doesn't finish it.
Nappies you don't need to change unless she is soaked through or she pooped.
Maybe this will also help: Starting EASY - all you need to know and more!
Good luck and we are here if you have any more questions :)
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline ChicStylishMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 11:01:01 am »
Thanks so much! Should I also do cluster feeding if she's on a 3 hr easy or just add in the DF and see how we do overnight?

Offline Ima shel Alon

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 18:08:05 pm »
That's really up to you. I think the way I did it (it was a while ago) was to do cluster feeding, establish that and then I offered the DF (which didn't work for us, only later on).

Offline ChicStylishMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 21:27:00 pm »
Ok so EAS (loose) would look like this for us. What do u think?
E:630am
A :7am-730pm
S:730 am-930am
E:930am-10am
A:10-1030am
S: 1030am-1230pm
E: 1230pm-1pm
A:1-1:30pm
S:130-330pm
E:330-4pm
A:4-430pm
S:430pm-630pm
E:630pm-7 pm if I start CF would that be this feeding so the last feed is technically the 330 pm??
A-7pm wind down change Jammie's
S-
CF at 8 is that ok that it's only hour 1/2 after she ate..
DF 1030 and see how far we go

Offline Ima shel Alon

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 06:58:38 am »
It's ok as a rough EASY, yk? But no baby follows the book or what their mommy wants them to do ;). Sometimes she will need a bit less or a bit more A time, sometimes she will nap only 1.5h (which is still a restorative nap), sometimes 2.5h. You just need to bare in mind that you will need to be flexible and that EASY is not a schedule but a routine.
The cluster feeding, what Tracey called "tanking up" is done in two hour intervals, either at 5 and 7 or 6 and 8, depending on the time your baby usually goes to bed. It does happen though that the feed previous to the cluster feeding is also 2h before the cluster feeding starts. IIWY I would either give one when she wakes up from her last nap and then again at BT (but as late as possible, so after bath and jammies and stuff) or would give one short before her last nap and then short after she wakes up. There is also good info here: Cluster & Dreamfeeding FAQ's - Starting, how to do it, stopping & problems

Offline ChicStylishMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 16:33:57 pm »
So how does the end of the day look if we try it like this?
330pm-feed
530-CF
730-CF
10-DF or should I try the DF at 1030?

Offline ChicStylishMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 12:35:42 pm »
We followed a good EASY yesterday with our 3 wk old and the fussy period from 9-11pm was gone! How did I do? Check our EASY
E-7am
A-730am
S-8-930am
A-930-10am
E-10am
A-(Bath)1030am
S-11:15am-1230pm
A-1230pm gym-stretches
E-1245pm(hungry early)
A-130
S-145 we took a walk with big brother
E-345pm
A-430pm
S-430-530pm(1 hr)catnap
A-530-6pm
E-6pm 1st cluster
A-645wind down jammies
S-7
E-2nd CF 8pm
E-11pm DF stayed awake for 40 mins had dirty diaper went back to sleep
she awoke at 245 for a bottle we gave her 3 oz and she slept until 630am

How long does it take normally for them to STTN? I know shes still very young shes 3 wks today. I just wasent sure if perhaps I should give more ounces as she does drink the full 3 oz and doesn't spit up

Offline Ima shel Alon

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 19:04:39 pm »
Looks like you are seeing progress :)
You can increase the amount in the bottle if she empties the bottle.
You are right, she is still very very young and it might take a while till she STTN. Some babies start only when they are 6m old and some even need longer than that.
A-930-10am
E-10am
A-(Bath)1030am
S-11:15am-1230pm
I think this A time might have been too much for her to handle. I would try and stick more to around 1h A time.

Offline ChicStylishMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 16:05:06 pm »
Help weve had a difficult 2 nights! She woke up 2x for a feeding and was up fussing not long after! About every 15 min she would let out a cry.  After the DF she normally will get up around 230-3am for her NF then to sleep until 630am-7am! Whats up?!! Today we started at 7 she fed we played-her A time was an hour then slept great until 10 after her feed I washed her up/got her dressed and shes been up since-so far 2 hrs! Shes fussy in her bassinet,swing, I cant lay her in her crib because I have to pick up my 22mth old from school in 1/2 hr. Now my question is still wake her at her next feed 1pm even if shes only been napping 45 min then put her back down since it wasnt a long nap? Shes also farting so maybe shes having a hard time settling for gas reasons? Also, how do you handle putting l/o down for a nap with a toddler around?

Offline Ima shel Alon

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 18:05:08 pm »
There is a lot of gas and wind issues at this age so it could be that she is uncomfortable.

3NF are normal, but I am wondering why she wakes up short after a feed? Is she draining the NF bottles? If she is then it's time to increase the volume in them so she could drink more.
Why was she awake so long after her nap this morning? Have you tried to put her down but didn't manage?
I actually never woke up DS for feeds. I believed that he will wake up when he is hungry enough and I gave an opportunity to catch up on sleep.
Also, how do you handle putting l/o down for a nap with a toddler around?
Maybe this can help: Ideas for how to sleep train and deal with naps with #2
Settling 10 day old for naps with 2yr old to care for! How?!

Offline ChicStylishMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 18:34:57 pm »
Yes she's fully draining them! I just increased her milk in bottle and she slept great last night! She's 10 lbs so I'm giving 3.5 oz whereas before I was only giving her 3oz.

She was so wide eyed after her feed and didn't show any signs of sleepiness so I just went with it.

I only asked about waking because a previous interview I read from Tracy said if l/o finally fell asleep but was due to feed in 45 min still wake them then only have them up 10 min before starting the wind down again since they didn't have a full nap.

Today we are doing well -so far!
Thnx for the link to those topics!

Offline Ima shel Alon

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 12:18:38 pm »
I only asked about waking because a previous interview I read from Tracy said if l/o finally fell asleep but was due to feed in 45 min still wake them then only have them up 10 min before starting the wind down again since they didn't have a full nap.
Yes, I know she said that :) I still couldn't bare waking him up after trying for an hour :P

Even if she seems awake but you see that he A time is getting too long you should put her down. She will be seem alert and not tired at all if she is OS as well and that can cause you problems at night.

Offline ChicStylishMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 20:53:35 pm »
L/o has been sleeping from the DF straight through until 630am! So happy I can get some rest! She's 1 mnth on 9/5 so she's been sleeping in a bassinet in our room overnight and for her naps in the sleeper part of our pack n play in our living ro. She naps great in there but I want to start getting her into her crib as I have a very active 23 mnth old that plays in our living room. Today I tried for 2 naps and each of them she woke early & didn't settle on her own like she normally can. Any tips on how I can get her familiar with her comfy crib?

Offline Ima shel Alon

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 11:57:17 am »
You can let her play in there when she wakes up, or move the pack and play to her room?
It's still a very difficult age to ST and to get them to do exactly as we wish :P
Maybe she just needs some time to get used to her crib?