Author Topic: Pumping and Pumping ...  (Read 2582 times)

Offline Jenifer

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Pumping and Pumping ...
« on: June 23, 2006, 14:30:08 pm »
So, I've been pumping every morning for 3 weeks straight and STILL cannot pump more than 1.5 oz!!  I pump (and do hand compressions) for around 5 - 10 minutes and most of the time nothing is coming out. 

I thought that by now I would be able to pump a bottle (3 - 4 oz at least) in one sitting.  In fact I was afraid that by pumping every day I would have milk all over the place ...

Do some people just not produce for the pump?  Is there something else I should be doing? 
DD - March 2006

Offline Lola

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
  • Missy M's Mama
Re: Pumping and Pumping ...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 14:33:44 pm »
I was told by our lactation consultant that pumping does produce less as it is not as effective. I had trouble with pumping too..was given meds to increase supply for when i went back to work as it slowed right down with less feeds.
experts will be along soon to help you  ;D
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline clh

• Showing Appreciation 226
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 16:42:39 pm »
It has been the *rare* occasion that I've pumped 4 oz at a session.  Maybe a handful of times in the 6 months I've been pumping for ds to use at daycare.  (He's 10 months now.)  Most of the time I get in the neighborhood of 2.5 oz, but this morning it was only 2.  I generally pump 5 times for 3 bottles.   :-\  That's not unusual from what I understand.
Candice

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 16:48:39 pm »
Jenifer - I hear your struggles loud and clear.  I was/am in the same boat you are in.  For some people, the pump just doesn't work.  It's nothing you are doing wrong.  Are you pumping b/c you have to or b/c you would like to give the occasional bottle of EBM?  I wound up pumping until I knew I had enough to attend my best friend's baby shower and to go see Lion King next week.  Then I stopped out of frustration. 

Good luck to you... 1.5oz is better than nothing  :)

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Jenifer

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 17:13:04 pm »
I started pumping because I had a wedding to go to and then kept it up just so I could have some on hand (to give her the occasional bottle).  

Well, I feel better knowing there's nothing wrong.  I've got a friend that says she could pump a 4 - 5 oz bottle during a commercial break - so I thought there was something wrong with me.  Mind you, she was a big time leaker and I don't leak milk at all ..  ;)
DD - March 2006

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 17:18:07 pm »
I will tell you with dd1 I always was able to pump... she never had water mixed into her cereal.  Dd2 is a whole other story... I think her first (and maybe second) feeding of cereal was mixed wtih bm... all others, water.  ::)  That's the way it goes.  You may have more luck with another child.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline nattymarsh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Calleigh from Canada!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 23:14:42 pm »
I'm one of the lucky ones that can pump out quite a bit.  In the morning after my dd eats I can usually get anywhere between 4-6 oz.  On the other hand I still leak like crazy at 5 1/2 months and have to wear breast pads everyday.  Do you use an electric pump?  I find that much more effective than hand expressing.

Offline Jenifer

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 01:28:53 am »
I use the Medella mini electric. 

See there's the difference, I have no leaking .. not even a drop!   :)

Do you pump regularly or can you just pump that amount whenever you need it?
DD - March 2006

Offline nattymarsh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Calleigh from Canada!
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 10:51:42 am »
I've been pumping fairly regularly, probably 5 out of 7 days a week.  (Not that I want to pump that much but my dd is not so good with the bottle so we are constantly working on that).  My friend, who was also a leaker, could pump good amounts as well.  That must be it! ;D

Offline Petunia

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 17:28:37 pm »
I've also read that different pumps work better for different people.  Not that you probably want to go buy another pump  ;) but just so you know that a hospital grade rental pump may easily get 4-5 ounces out of you at one sitting, even though the minielectric won't.  Some people find their response better to those pumps with the soft plastic sheilds rather than the hard plastic sheilds.

Offline AJs Mom

• My Boys, Alton and Dexter
  • Showing Appreciation 51
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 18:47:19 pm »
I pump every night while my husband does the DF.  I used to be able to get 4 oz, then 3 oz, and now I get between only 2 and 2.5, and have to get the rest in the morning.  (I get up at 5:00 to pump another ox or two).  I use the avent manual pump.  I find I can only get a good pump if I've definitely felt my let down, then it just comes streaming out.  I can hear it like a tap!  What helps me pump more is having a pic of my DS infront of me when I pump.
                                        Sonja

Offline bethann

• Showing Appreciation 40
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 21:33:53 pm »
I would try either pumping after every feed or an hour before each feed- just to stimulate your breasts to produce more milk (I think tracy mentions this in BW when discussing how to increase supply during a growth spurt. (even if next to nothing comes out it should stimulate them and send the message to make more)....or I would get a different pump.  try the avent isis iq uno or duo- it lets you set the rythm. The medela electric only has one rythm so I find that I can't get enough milk with it.  For some reason with the avent, I can always get more out because I can set it to a different rythm if the milk stops and with a short quick rythm I always get a good let down.  - but I am deffinately a "leaker"- all day- and I pump about 8-9 oz in my 10am pump (which takes the place of an entire feed because I pump at work for her next day's meal) and another 8oz between two more pumps. 

Or- try pumping in the shower- the hot steam always gives me a great let down if I manually express in the shower.  it's very relaxing.  or wet hot compresses almost instantly give me a let down- without any stimulation !

but don't worry. it just takes time to build that extra supply. -or maybe as the others have said, that some are just avid "pumpers" and some are not. just as some are "leakers" and others are not.... I would keep trying though.   :)
{mom to abigail 3.13.16, caleb 4.14.07, and anna noelle 12.04.13}

Offline CLJK

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 21:56:10 pm »
I found that once DS #1 got on a very regular schedule and was eating at about the same time every day (at about 5-6 months old), I was able to pump less and less.  I think my body just got used to HIM eating and didn't resond all that well to pumping anymore (at one point I was pumping 8-9 oz.).  There is a Mother's Milk tea that helps with keeping up your milk supply.  Also, I have heard oatmeal helps.  I barely get anything with DS #2 as he won't take a bottle so I just stopped pumping because I hated to see it being dumped down the drain after he refused the bottle!

Offline Jenifer

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 00:43:07 am »
Bethann, you got me thinking ... I pulled out the manual pump I got at my shower (Avent Isis) and I got more out of it in 2 minutes than I ever did with the Medella mini-electric!  With the manual one I was able to stimulate a let down and I got 1.5 oz real quick! 

Thanks!   :D

DD - March 2006

Offline AJs Mom

• My Boys, Alton and Dexter
  • Showing Appreciation 51
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 05:06:15 am »
Yes, I had the same situation as CJLK.  I've been taking Fenugreek (recommended by my midwife) to increase my supply.
                     sonja

Offline nattymarsh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Calleigh from Canada!
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 23:09:28 pm »
I had another thought.   I always seem to be able to pump more if I'm well hydrated and have been drinking a lot of water.  :)

Offline Jenifer

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2006, 14:44:42 pm »
Well, problem solved.  I'm using the Avent Isis manual pump.  I pumped 4oz in 8 minutes yesterday.  I used to pump for 10 minutes on the Medela mini-electric and only get about an ounce.

Thanks for the help!   :)
DD - March 2006

Offline jbepko

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2006, 01:34:55 am »
You can pump on one side while nursing on the other (especially with a hand pump). I've never been that coordinated! Plus my DS is way too distractable!
Jeni

Offline 1bygrace

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2006, 05:42:15 am »
Thanks Jennifer for posting this!

I use the medela pump in style, but I've been wondering about a manual pump for times when I'm lazy.  Right now I a can usually pump about 3-5 oz. in fifteen mins (both breasts).

I've decided to give the Medela Harmony pump a whirl. ;D  It has terrific reviews from almost every site I visit.

Offline MorganLeigh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Awww!
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2006, 20:15:34 pm »
With DD1 I wasnt able to pump no more than 1.5 oz. Now with DD2, using the same pump I can get 4 oz in about 2 mins. Its great. I can even pump right after a feeding. I think there are many factors involved. HTH