Author Topic: help please my lo doesnt want to feed:(  (Read 1962 times)

Offline tfuentes00

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
help please my lo doesnt want to feed:(
« on: June 23, 2013, 14:15:15 pm »
My dd is almost 16 weeks old.  We went through a phase of her squirming on the bottle and switched to 4 hr easy and it seemed to help.  Now I'm dealing with her not being interested in eating.  My big concern is she does not nf she takes her last bottle of the day around 830-9 and wakes around 730-8 and lately has not been interested I. Eating.  She will eat a few ozs but not guzzling like she's starving and then will leave 1-2 ozs.  Then at her 12 o'clock feed she does similar.  Usually her 3 o'clock feed is the only one she will take all with little issues.  She was taking 6-6.5 oz once we started the 4 hr easy now she's only taking like .5-5.5 ozs.  Last night or this morning rather she woke around 345 and uses her fingers to resettle and she was still trying to resettle around 430 so I thought maybe she's hungry bc she didn't take her normal amount last night at by she left like 2 ozs so I fixed her a 2 oz bottle and she took it but was falling to sleep inbetween it and didn't guzzle like she was really hungry.  So I'm sure the reason leaving so much this morning was bc she had that but even when she doesn't have it she still won't take it all.  If she only takes 5-5.5 oz I don't feel like that's enough in a day since she only takes 4 bottles and I kind of cluster/ snack at 630-7 of 3.5-4 oz to get a little more in her.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Oh and she is on zantac but doesnt have a bad case of reflux and doesn't not fuss on the bottle she seems very content and happy when she pushes out the bottle.   I just afraid my baby is not eating enough:(
Tina

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
Re: help please my lo doesnt want to feed:(
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 14:48:27 pm »
I had this same issue right around 4 months, and we also weren't dream feeding or night feeding usually by then so I was concerned same as you.  It turned out I just needed to use a faster flow nipple on the bottle.  As soon as we upped the size she went back to eating full amounts and not taking long about it!  Have you tried this?  Hopefully it's a quick fix :)
Emma

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 17:10:20 pm »
Thanks I have tired but didn't seem to help :(  how long will it take them to get use to the faster flow?  She didn't take as long to eat but still left almost 1.5oz so she only took 5 this morning and 5 oz now.  Just don't know what it might be.  We went through changing the formula and it didn't seem to help with the squirming and she ended up doing best on Gerber gentle parents choice brand. 
Tina

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 17:21:37 pm »
How is her weight gain? If she is sticking to her centile, happy and alert between feeds and having plenty of wet nappies then she is taking what she needs. If you haven't had her weighed for awhile I would just to keep a check.

What is her intake over 24 hours? My DD averaged about 25oz a day, very rarely any more than that and she gained weight just fine - was a 91st centile baby and never dropped off it!

What is her dose of zantac and her weight now. If the zantac hasn't been increased for a while it could be the reflux is causing her not to be as hungry because the meds need increasing. Other than that, stick to the fast teats and feed her what she wants.

Laura

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 17:42:30 pm »
Last weight check at Dr was 12.2 and I tried on my scale and it was 13.  She's usually before or right at 50% for her age but Dr wasn't concerned.  We go back on the 9 th for 4 month check.  Should I take her in sooner?  She is happy in between and wets good.

She used to take between 28-30 oz a day but if she keeps with the 5 oz today it'll only be maybe 25 more like 23.  I feel a little better since yours was only taking 25 :-\

Her dose hasn't changed since her 2 month app and its .6 MLS twice a day.  Which I think she's put on 2 maybe 3 pounds since then.  Would that mean a dose change?  Her reflux was never really too big like others have she would just choke a lot at any point and had hiccups all  the time but never seemed in pain, I hate to even says she has it bc so many other moms have big issues and she by no means is like that, its very mild.

Is she too young to be cutting teeth?  My ds got his first two when he was 5 months.  She drools a lot and loves her fingers.  I don't notice anything on her gums though.???
Tina

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 17:51:44 pm »
The dose is very low if she is 13lbs now. Thats nearly 6 kg and the dose range for 6kg (at 2-4mg per kg x 2 per day) is 0.8ml to 1.6ml.

If she seems happy and is having plenty of wet nappies I would probably leave the Dr until her next check up. If she seems unwell at any point then take her in sooner. You can discuss the zantac dose when you go if she isn't eating any better, an increased dose may help.

She is a little young to be cutting teeth, but it is a posibility! Their salivary glands do kick in around 3 months I think, so it could just be that too!

Laura

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 18:03:54 pm »
Ok thanks so much ladies.  We will keep the faster flow and just feed what she wants and hope things get better.  Hopefully she will ha e still gained weight.  I will also ask about the zantac dose.  I feel a little better knowing there are other los that only take about 25 oz a day.
Tina