Author Topic: help needed after vacation  (Read 773 times)

Offline PeepersMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« on: December 18, 2006, 17:10:47 pm »
I posted this last night on the 'back on track' forum but the mod made it sound like it belongs here so.......

We were away for 5 days in a 3 hour time difference.  We went west.  PJ never got used to the time change so most nights he was getting 9 hours sleep (used to getting 12) and his naps were not great and certainly didn't make up for his lack of sleep.  He was definitely exhausted by the time we got home.  The first 2 nights he did ok, but fell asleep significantly later than usual, but then slept for 11-12 horus.  His naps have frequently been a problem.  He is on 1 nap a day and is doing 1 hour 20 min now and tired.  I put him right back on his routine and falls asleep for bed rather easily but wakes up 30 min later either fussing, crying or playing.  Usually the crying is very short, doesn't really even need my attention, as well as the fussing but they are always followed by playing.  For up to 2 hours.  It is now 9:15pm and he is in there having a good ole time.  He first fell asleep at 7pm. 

Our schedule is (that I am trying to get back on)

7am wake
12 nap for 2 hours on a good day 
6:30-7 bedtime (varies based on nap length)

He is definitely still jet lagged.  He is usually wakign up around 7, and very tired all morning.  Has his naps and makes it to bedtime around 630-645pm. But then wakes up 30min later.

Is there anything I can do to help this along?  we have been home a week. 

Edited to add: it is now 10 pm and he is rocking his crib and chatting.  HELP ME! 

Thanks

Meg

Update is that he fell asleep around 1045 pm but then awake again at 1145pm for just a min or 2 of fussing.  Then up for the day at 8 am.  I am going for a noon naptime.

Thanks so much
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: help needed after vacation
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 17:53:54 pm »
Hi Meg!

It seems that he's having trouble with finding his "relaxation spot", that is, a spot where he finally goes to sleep. I find this when i have to take ds out for naps (at uncle's, grandma's etc). He's tired and doesn't refuse the idea of going down but then is playing with stuffed animals, lovies and even the pack n' play's net... aggg.

Perhaps PJ is too excited of being home and it is just a matter of adjustment. If you haven't noticed a bit of improvement (say he took 2 hrs to go to sleep yesterday and today it was 1:55... that would be a slight improvement LOL), then I think you might want to intervene.

You could try and leave him be for the first 15 mins and then come into his room and say: it's night time, let me help you go to sleep. Then you can try PD each time he tries to stand or sit, lay him down and rub his back etc. Usually ds would start to chatter and I shsh him (gently and say is time for sleep) each time he says something I just rub his back again and shsh him, he seems to need it cause he's too wound up to do it himself. Usually I don't have to do this for more than 20 mins. IT is important that you try it only if he lets you. If he gets upset or more wound up, you should try WI/Wo if he's crying and nothing else if he's just playing around. I think that if you keep consistant with his routine and timings he'll start retaking his "old" timings.

HTH and good luck!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 18:04:29 pm »
Thanks so much.  You really do describe it perfectly..

I was tempted to go in and rock him last night, but then I kept thinking "if he isn't crying I don't go in".  Actually last night was by far the worst. the other nights is was more like 40-60 min

Now I think I have a plan.

I just want to make sure - so today he took a short nap - 1 h20min.  I tried really hard to get him to go back to sleep, but he didn't.  So normally I would put him down at 630pm.  SO I still will.  IF he has another wake up like last night, I should try to help soothe him down?  just so he 'remembers' how?

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 19:18:57 pm by PeepersMom »
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12