Author Topic: 10.5 Months started biting down insted of nursing  (Read 1057 times)

Offline tamlev

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
10.5 Months started biting down insted of nursing
« on: June 16, 2014, 06:22:58 am »
Hi,

My DD is 10.5 months and I nurse her mornings and evenings (when wakes up and before bed). I went back to work beginning of May and she is in a great day care where she has lots of fun. She is a good solids eater and on a good schedule.
She started teathing at 9.5 months, her first tooth is coming out slowly on the botton gum (middle right).
Last couple of days when I start nursing her before bed, she might start to suck but I feel it is not right, the she will close her gums on the nipple and with her hands, pull the nipple out. She does this with her paci too. She likes the sensation of pulling it between her gums. Now she started doing this insteed of nursing and with the tooth coming out, it hurts. I tell her NO but she smiles.
My problem is that she seems not interested in nursing, I keep on offering the breast and she does not want, only the paci (and at night she will just fall asleep on me with the paci). In addition, this started happening mornings too (although I thought she would be very hungry in the morning so she would go straight to nursing...).
At some point (if she gets upset and crying) she might start nursing and if it starts well then she will have a good feed.
Past two nights she did not nurse (one of them she ended up having a bottle insted).

I really want to nurse her until 12 months (and more- to get through the next winter).

Any suggestions?
Thank you!!
Tammy

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 10.5 Months started biting down insted of nursing
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 06:59:00 am »
Is she having bottles of formula during the day when you are at work? I'm wondering if she is developing a bottle preference possibly. If so would she drink the formula from a cup instead do you think?
There are some great tips for coaxing baby back to the breast in this FAQ.
Is my baby weaning or is it a nursing strike?

Some LOs do go off nursing when teething as the suckling is uncomfortable. Are you giving her pain meds at all for the teething? Biting in a cold flannel or teething toy immediately before BFing can also help numb the pain.

There are idea for dealing with biting in this FAQ. How do teeth change things? – teething and biting.
I found pulling into the breast when they bite very effective.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline tamlev

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 07:41:50 am »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
I actually read the FAQ: How do teeth change things? – teething and biting. but I did not find anything helpfull there. What do you mean by pulling into the breast?
She takes a bottle with formula at 15:00 in day care. I don't think she will take it in a sippy cup. She really likes watter in her cup. I've tried giving her pure apple/prune juice (from the cooked fruit I prepare for her), and she did not want.
I will try giving her a teething toy (that is cold) before BF.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 15:26:19 pm »
By pulling into the breast I was referring to the technique described in the biting FAQ
"Another technique is to bring the baby towards the breast so their nose is covered and they have to break the latch, rather then pull away which obviously could cause more damage."
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline KookyK

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 19:23:19 pm »
I found my DD did this when my supply was suffering. I dropped feeds in favour of solids quite early and v fast and then went back to work and didn't pump at work and after a few months she use to fuss and bite. When I finally stopped I didn't feel like I'd had much milk left.

Not sure what advice to offer except perhaps to pump missed feeds at work, encourage extra feeding at other times, naked skin to skin and baths - if you want to increase supply.
DD jan 2008
DS August 2013