Author Topic: Not enough S in my EASY?  (Read 769 times)

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 11, 2014, 08:58:54 am »
Hello,
I have recently increased the A for my 7mo baby to 3 hours. The problem is, that leaves us not enough time for a catnap in the evening but if he doesn't have one the last A is waaaay too long. So I was wondering,
-how long before bed is it ok to have a catnap?
-are all As during the day supposed to be the same length?
-if he is OT before bed could that affect his WU time?
-do I need to change A times depending on how long the previous nap was?

Here is a sample of my EASY, bearing in mind his naps are very touch and go, he isn't a great napper but he sleeps through the night. So the routine varies from day to day....and he is a textbook baby.

Today:
Wake up 8am
E 9am
A 3hrs
S 11am (sometimes 35mins, sometimes 55m-1hr)
E 13:30
A 3hrs
S 15:00 (usually 1,10-1:30 but sometimes 35mins)
E 17:30
A if he refuses a nap A can be 4,5 hrs!!!
S today he refused a nap, but sometimes  7ish for 30mins)
E 20:30
S 21:00

Hope that made sense. If we are out he usually sleeps in the pram at 7ish for 30ish mins. But at home he isn't so keen to have that last nap??
I realise the times may be odd but in the country we live in everything happens later  ;) also because of work and other commitments we have adapted our easy 08:00-21:00. I can't seem to get more than 10,5 hrs at night, is that ok? (Edit-sometimes he used to sleep 11-12hrs but that seems to have changed to 10,5-11ish, a bit less..).

Many thanks in advance and hope it makes sense  :)

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: Not enough S in my EASY?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 19:34:32 pm »
This is quite common when dropping a nap. Could you go for an earlier BT if he refuses the CN, say 8pm? A 12 hour day is good when you first drop a CN and would leave that last A time a good bit shorter.
~ Naomi ~

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 19:53:48 pm »
Thanks buttons,

So does that happen naturally, I mean, I didn't do anything different, they just decide to drop it themselves?

And, if I go for an earlier BT won't he wake up an hour earlier and then we are in the same predicament trying to keep a routine? Or will he carry on waking up at 8am?

Ps. Today he refused his last nap again so he had a 1hr nap at 11am and another one at 15:00 for 1:30hrs. Is that enough sleep for a7mo?

Thanks again :)

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 20:36:36 pm »
Yes, the naps can jut stop like that - it may not be every day but you'll start to have more refusals than not I'd imagine.

He won't necessarily go for a shorter night, he may sleep longer if you get the A time right - you may get a 12 hour night, actually then increasing the amount of sleep you're getting over the whole 24 hour period. You'll have to try it and see.

If you're getting a one hour first nap, perhaps try and move that first nap a little later again, maybe 3hr 10 mins and see if that nap gets a big longer. That'll help your whole day.
~ Naomi ~

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 15:54:35 pm »
Thank you for your help.

Should I move his BT slowly, like say 10mins per day?  :)

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 16:10:18 pm »
Personally I wouldn't, if you get a CN refusal - just do BT about 3 hrs or 3.5 hrs ish after his WU from the previous nap.

But, I would move the first nap slowly as you are extending, not shortening, the A time.

Good luck x
~ Naomi ~