Author Topic: HELP! Need ideas to get Toddler to eat Again...  (Read 44556 times)

Offline koe2moe

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
Re: HELP! Need ideas to get Toddler to eat Again...
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 09:28:56 am »
great, Karen.  I think he's probably finally fully recovered and got his appetite back.  Just keep offering.  When he gets hungry he will eat.  :) 

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 12:36:26 pm »
If th pizza was a hit and something he used to enjoy could you try something else that he use to be keen on and try the same way as yesterday - sort of a picnic lunch where he can choose to eat it if he wants to? Also, remember that if he's been off his food for a while then his stomach is not used to feeling particularly full. Plus the fact that a toddlers stomach is roughly the size of his fist when empty. That really helped me when I was worried about the size o portions Ben was eating.

There is also a big drop in appetite between 1 and 2 years - it's been mentioned a few times on the board. DS definitely dropped in appetite but is now eating much more again. I know your DS is pretty extreme but maybe something to bare in mind?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 12:45:23 pm »
Thanks again guys. He's still pretty congested but otherwise seems to be feeling better, fingers crossed. Haven't tried breakfast yet - will do soon. Making some challah french toast now. Maybe will try a veggie patty or broccoli potato pancake for lunch - he used to like both but hasn't eaten either in quite a few weeks. I have heard that with the drop in appetite and I wouldn't be concerned except that he gets hungry and crazed and starting crying but then refusing food... Hopefully we're starting to get past that... Have to figure out dinner too - we got well over a foot of snow here (again) and not getting to the market this morning!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 14:16:28 pm »
Not hungry I guess this morning. Had couple bites french toast and felt a strawberry and that was it. Guessing he'll be hungry soon - might offer an early lunch at 10 or 10:30 if so instead of a snack? He used to LOVE french onion soup and I have some leftover homemade soup I'd frozen - I can defrost that, top with toast and cheese and broil? And offer a veggie patty alongside as finger food?

Tonight should be interesting - making pasta with meat sauce (which he used to love)...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 14:20:36 pm »
good luck with lunch and dinner :)  maybe the famous vibes work for appetite, too??  xx

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 16:15:36 pm »
Thanks Koe! He was acting hungry for lunch but got really upset at the mere mention of soup (he used to LOVE chicken noodle soup but lately thinks it's pure evil). I literally had to force one taste of it into his mouth just so he'd realize what it was even. Then, once he realized it was french onion he pointed to it, said yum and happily let me feed him a small amount (I'd added some toasted whole wheat bread and swiss cheese before putting under the broiler. It wasn't a lot but at least something and something with flavor! Then he had about 2/3 of a yogurt and he's about to go in for his nap in a bit...

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2011, 18:44:39 pm »
hahahaha these LO's LOL... i think i had to push some food into DS' mouth myself.  hahah well done!!  Once he trusts that you're going to let him try tasty stuff, he hopefully would just lick it before refusing it :P

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2011, 22:31:55 pm »
Thanks. But NO dinner here. Made pasta with meat sauce. And it came out REALLY good (if I say so myself LOL). Wouldn't even try it, smushed up a couple pieces. Offered a piece of raisin toast and he doesn't even want that. So now he's coloring at the table while DD and I eat. Sigh. And all he had for snack was 6 animal crackers and a smoothie pouch of banana, beets and blueberry. And that was more than 3 hours ago.

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 22:35:45 pm »
hugs, Karen!!!  It's so hard!!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2011, 22:45:45 pm »
Thanks Koe. He's still pooping an inordinate amount (sorry TMI) and has a very sore bottom AND a bit of a rash on his tummy and back today. So hoping it's just related to whatever this virus STILL is. And just wish we could all get healthy already. Just before DD was complaining her throat hurt. SIGH.

Now he's sitting in the big chair at the table next to DD and eating a banana.

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 09:03:15 am »
Did he have high fever?  It's probably the 6th disease.  DS just had it a month ago.  Good on the banana :)  Hoping for a good day for all of you ;) :*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2011, 13:01:28 pm »
His fever had been up to 102 but that was well over a week ago - no fever since then. Yes, glad he had the banana and then some yogurt BUT he was still up hungry (tummy rumbling) at 4am - which hasn't happened in ages. Ended up having to give him a couple ounces of milk to get him back to sleep until 6:45.

Made banana pancakes this morning and at least he had one (usually he'd have 2-3 pancakes). NO ideas left for lunch or dinner since he's now even refusing pasta, toast and the like...

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2011, 13:11:43 pm »
If you google for images on 6th disease, you will see that distinctive faint red rash and if it does look like what he's got, then it's on recovery :) which is good news.  DS had 104 and I got 103 myself ::) 

I also have headache about what to make for dinner the coming 3 nights. My brain doesn't work!!!  I just hate that when I make something he doesn't like, not that he's picky but everyone has their preference in taste.  I made pasta, and he tried, he ate 1/4 and just didn't like it enough to eat more.  So he ate a whole banana and a big bowl of yoghurt afterwards.  They are all good but I was deflated!! :(   Why is the job of mom's so difficult?!?!  hugsss

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2011, 13:19:56 pm »
Thanks Koe - have to rush now to get DD to the bus in time and then run errands but will definitely google some pictures when I get back. Hey - at least your DS tries stuff - mine doesn't!!!!! He would have liked the bolognese last night but wouldn't even touch the pasta.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2011, 22:53:44 pm »
Well dinner was a bust again. He had three small pieces roasted potato and that's it. Had made chicken cutlets for DH and I and made DD and DS the same but made theirs nuggets shaped. Wouldn't even try it. Now if it had been the Kirkland/Costco brand nuggets he'd have eaten them... Of course wouldn't touch the broccoli either. Sure he'll be up hungry by 4am again...