Author Topic: It's Official: TV Linked to Attention Deficit  (Read 3897 times)

Offline marleyfloydbabe

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
It's Official: TV Linked to Attention Deficit
« on: October 06, 2005, 23:31:36 pm »
I've been letting my baby watch Telletubbies and after reading this article I've decided that I shouldn't let her watch ANY tv, at least until she's 2 years old.

A study from the American Academy of Pediatrics shows that watching videos as a toddler may lead to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD, also called ADD in UK) in later life.

TV watching "rewires" an infant’s brain, says Dr. Dimitri A. Christakis lead researcher and director of the Child Health Institute at Children’s Hospital and Regional Medical Center, Seattle, Wash. The damage shows up at age 7 when children have difficulty paying attention in school.

"In contrast to the way real life unfolds and is experienced by young children, the pace of TV is greatly sped up." says Christakis. His research appears in the April 2004 issue of Pediatrics. Quick scene shifts of video images become "normal," to a baby "when in fact, it’s decidedly not normal or natural." Christakis says. Exposing a baby’s developing brain to videos may overstimulate it, causing permanent changes in developing neural pathways.

"Also in question is whether the insistent noise of television in the home may interfere with the development of ‘inner speech’ by which a child learns to think through problems and plans and restrain impulsive responding," wrote Jane Healy, psychologist and child brain expert in the magazine’s commentary.

Babies brains grow rapidly

Even a child playing with its own fingers has the neural patterning that comes from bending, flexing, stretching and grasping. Scientists tell us that the brain develops in completely unique ways between birth and three years. As a kiddie viddie baby sits "mesmerized", neural paths are not being created. This is crucial brain development that stops by age three.

"You don’t want to think that something as innocent as half-an-hour’s peace and quiet could reduce your kid’s chances later in life," says Claire Eaton, 27-year-old mother from Lewisham, Australia.

Setting up baby for failure in school

Are parents who use infant videos such as "Baby Einstein" and "Teletubbies" putting their child at risk for a lifetime of Special Ed classes, school "behavioral therapy" and Ritalin?

In the study of more than 2,000 children, Christakis found that for every hour watched at age one and age three, the children had almost a ten percent higher chance of developing attention problems that could be diagnosed as ADHD by age 7. A toddler watching three hours of infant television daily had nearly a 30 percent higher chance of having attention problems in school.

Infant videos: They wouldn’t sell them if they were dangerous --Would they?

An explosion of kidvids for the bouncy chair set has hit the market. These include Baby Einstein, Baby Mozart, So Smart etc. TV shows, such as Teletubbies, aim at 18-month-old toddlers. These videos are peddled as "educational tools" to "give your baby a head start." The truth is, they are a video-tether that keeps baby out from underfoot.

"Max is learning German right now from a video"

Parents take away crucial life experiences from their child every time they pop in Baby Einstein. But they do love how it takes the baby out of their hair for awhile Listen to what parents say in testimonials about infant videos:

"I love spending time with my boy but let's face it, there are times when you just have to have 10 minutes or so to yourself so that you can wash the dishes or do laundry; that's when you pop this video in. It's 25 minutes of entertainment that holds the attention of even very young children. ," (son 10 months) Chris Hudson from San Antonio, TX.

There are times I rewind it and play it again and again until I get the dishes done and order restored. My son is captivated (and hopefully learning something). Mom I n Connecticut

The only thing I wish is that the videos were longer than 30min. Melissa Perruzi, Clinton Mississippi

(From Baby Eisntein reviews on Amazon.com).

Big problem for little people

Twenty-six percent of US children younger than age two have TV in their bedrooms - often watched from the crib, and 36 percent of families leave the TV on almost all of the time, even when no one is watching, according to a 2000 Kaiser Family Foundation study.

Don’t put your child at risk!

The good news is, infants and toddlers don’t need television to distract them. Humans raised children for 50,000 years before television sets and you can do it too. Your children can learn to entertain themselves or play with your supervision.

"When one-year olds are playing with a toy, they can explore it, poke at it, drop it," says Yale University Television Researcher Dorothy Singer. "They’re learning about space, about sound, and they’re developing sense of competence. Watching a TV show just doesn’t provide the same sensory experience."

Leaving a child alone with the TV is never a good idea.

"Would you entrust you toddler into the care of a baby sitter, even for a few minutes, who cannot hear or see your child?" writes Nancy Hall of Yale University’s Bush Center in Child Development and Social Policy. "Would you leave your child in an environment that encourages passivity, limits creativity and results in increased aggressive behavior? Many 1-year-olds are spending time regularly with just such a baby sitter: the television set."

What is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder?

ADHD affects 12 percent of US school children and has increased dramatically over the past 50 years. Studies show ADHD increased with the introduction of children’s television in the 1950s and then spiked higher in the mid 1980s when VCRs and home video became commonplace. Although the condition is known to be genetic, scientists have noted its rapid spread throughout every social class of children, and guessed that there could be an environmental cause. TV watching is a cause, this study shows.

How much TV should I let my baby watch?

No child under age two should watch television at all, the Academy of American Pediatrics advised in 1998. Doctors blame TV for increasing aggression and obesity in children, now they add ADHD risk to early TV use.

Offline marleyfloydbabe

• Showing Appreciation 1
Eh-Oh! Pediatricians Ban TV for Toddlers
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 23:33:49 pm »
A policy statement of the American Academy of Pediatrics has made clear what many parents have suspected for a long time: Television is bad for young children. In the Academy's journal Pediatrics the report's authors write: "Pediatricians should urge parents to avoid television viewing for children under the age of 2 years."

It continues: "While certain television programmes may be promoted to this age group, research on early brain development shows that babies and toddlers have a critical need for direct interactions with parents and other significant care givers for healthy brain growth and development of appropriate social, emotional and cognitive skills." The Academy also recommends that viewing for older children be limited to two hours a day.

Media commentators seemed unable to come to grips with the simplicity and directness of the Academy's message. Many were left clinging to their usual advice that 'moderation is best'. Anne Woods, producer of the Teletubbies, tried to reassure parents that watching her programme was somehow an interactive experience for children, and the programme's US marketer, Kenn Viselman, dismissed the advice of the 55,000 doctors as "a bunch of malarky".

But the Academy is not going away. They have also advised their members to ask parents about "media history" when treating eating disorders and obesity. Their report will add to concerns raised in 1996 by a study in Manchester showing that exposure to television causes delayed acquisition of language in toddlers.

by David Burke

http://www.whitedot.org/issue/iss_story.asp?slug=noTVforTubbies

Offline tiffy625

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: It's Official: TV Linked to Attention Deficit
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 04:00:31 am »
oh god, Im so embarrassed to admit it but I let my 22 month old watch tv pretty much all day. We go outside, but I live in an apt complex, I dont drive and there isnt a play ground anywhere near where I live (jeez Im making excuses now) so we sit outback mostly where there is a bench. He loves Caillou & he wants to watch it constantly. I think this is hindering on his speech somewhat. He can identify body parts and he does say things like book, puppy, cup, please, mom and daddy of course though it can be challenging for him to say the consonants with select words. Also he says some two word sentences not exactly clearly though(yet he only really does talk with me and my husband, not when other people are around) & he babbles more than anything. He understands way more than he can say, & understands commands. He loves books but he doesnt like to sit for too long through the story. Ive read the Baby Whisperer and he does not say the things she says a baby learns at 18 months to two years. People around me ask "is he talking yet?" Pretty much asking if all he does is babble still.(maybe Im thinking too deep into it?)It just makes me feel like Im failing at parenting even though Im sure that is not their intention. Im a 1st time mom at 23 so Im bound to make some mistakes, but its just so frustrating to think what I could have done. If he gets adhd Ill never forgive myself. I cant help but become angry w/ myself. Alright Im done venting. Im sure no one will even read this i just had to get it off my chest

Offline RyansMum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
  • Minecraft mad!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 10:49:19 am »
I wouldn't worry too much to be honest, it is a guideline but a little TV is OK I think.

Ryan had Baby Einstein videos as part of his wind down routine from a few months old.  His speech has always been excellent and to be perfectly honest a lot of children have trouble focussing on something for long, they are too busy exploring the world around them. I have limited TV to mainly just the Cbeebies channel here in the UK as its advert free and most of the programmes I feel have educational benefits.  Now that he is older I let him see other TV like Formula Racing Cars with Daddy.  Plus have now taken Ryan to the movies a couple of times and he sits there and watches right through.  That is a good attention span.

I think you just have to be mindful of what they watch and how long for. 

I got myself a couple of books with ideas for activies.  Also places like this and NetMums are good for ideas if you are struggling with what to do with them.

Hugs :-*
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 10:53:07 am by RyansMum »

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 06:30:52 am »
Oh Tiffy please don't feel guilty and like a bad parent, my DD also watches TV every day though only her dvds, she will be 2 in 2 weeks and is only just starting to talk clearly enough for others apart from myself and DH to understand, if anything and I don't care what the studies say dvds have increased her vocabulary as she is bilingual and only hears english from DH and I so when you think about it quite a limited vocabulary she hears IRL but she knows all her animals, colours, numbers etc from books and dvds. I am so lucky that we live near lots of woods and have a garden but if we were in an apartment I would resort to more tv I am sure! Also I found in the last month or so my DD has had a huge developmental leap and is now much more content to read books, play while listening to CDs, scribble with her crayons, loves to count and label colours, at 22 months so really not long ago I would not have thought this was possible!

Leorah always loved Teletubbies but she is as happy to listen to a CD of them as she is to watch them which is good for imagination and listening skills, I don't know about Caillou but maybe your library will have some audio books /music cds? We also listen to Sesame Street CDs after I introduced the dvds so she is familiar with them, it feels better than her just watching IYKWIM  ;)

Marleyfloydbabe, thanks for posting, I am sure for a lot of kids TV is not good and I did read a lot of articles some saying no TV before 2 and some saying limited but for us it has been helpful especially as my LO dances and jumps all the way through Teletubbies so great for burning some energy  :D
Katt

Offline Alison_3

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 12:14:56 pm »
Thanks for the article.  I do limit TV for my almost 4 year old.  It's hard though for my 21 month old though because if big brother is watching something, of course he wants to watch something too.  We try to do a show in the morning, one after naptime and then DS1 can watch a little with DH before bedtime.  We watch programs without commercials.  However, when the weather is nice I find that the TV is rarely on.   

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline Maxmiliansmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • Dancing feet:-)
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 19:26:57 pm »
THank you, i was looking for something like this:-)
Maxmilian was born 3rd of september 2009.