Author Topic: Aptimal vs SMA staydown - anyone use either?  (Read 2356 times)

Offline DJs mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
Aptimal vs SMA staydown - anyone use either?
« on: March 14, 2007, 12:25:44 pm »
My DD is 9 weeks old and has been ff since 6 weeks of age. We feed her aptimal number 1.  She has always been a bit of a sicky baby.  Nothing terrible but sick in small amounts very often after most feeds.  I happened to be speaking to another mum at a post natal group yesterday and she said she's heard Aptimal is known for making babies sick  :-\  She said her son is very sicky and she was about to change formula to try SMA staydown.  I'm a bit hesitant to change formula straight away.  But I'm interested to hear anyone elses' experiences with either of these formulae.

Thanks

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
Re: Aptimal vs SMA staydown - anyone use either?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 12:28:38 pm »
I have never tried either of those formulas BUT i can tell you that i had nothing but problems with SMA .I have heard a lot of mum's on here recommending omneo comfort i think this is a thicker formula too and easier to digest
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline DJs mummy

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 12:55:54 pm »
Thanks for that.  We used SMA with our ds and he was always soooo constipated.  We switched to using Aptimal when he was about 6 months old and it really helped.  That's basically why we gave DD Aptimal coz I didn't trust SMA anymore  :-\
I may have a look for Omneo comfort.

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 13:11:40 pm »
We have had issues with constipation here too but i couldn't pinpoint it to SMA as Ryan did start on reflux meds ( constipating ) at 5 months . My health visitor suggested trying SMA white at 6 months as Ryan seemd hungry all the time ( guzzling to soothe his throat due to acid more than hungry ) BIG mistake ! This made things worse and then she stupidly suggested soya ,again BIG mistake ! .I know next time i will be starting on cow and gate and not SMA . I did try Omneo comfort but Ryan just wouldn't drink it  ::)
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline finlays mam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 20:25:50 pm »
i've used aptamil and still do with my lo who's now 7 months, we've never had a problem.....re constipation with any formula, i have always done 1 scoop less in the bottle so i do 6 scoops to 7 oz of water and that way he's getting a little bit extra to drink...

Debbie

Offline maxysmum

• Steph mummy to Max and Loen
  • Showing Appreciation 145
  • my babies
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 20:28:45 pm »
DS was on Aptimil for approx 2/3 months and was really sick after almost every feed, We switched him to SMA gold and the sickness went away.

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 20:44:07 pm »
William was bottle fed from birth and I started him on Aptamil 1 in the hospital. He was ok for the first few weeks but we soon started to have problems with spitting up and tummy aches. I found that the aptamil was too harsh - it even stung my skin if I got it on me,  so I changed him to Omneo Comfort by Cow and Gate.. which is now called Comfort, and used Dr Browns (Bfree) bottles. It was the best thing I ever did.. he was transformed - no more spitting up everywhere, he was more settled and thrived on it.

I have written about it loads on this board so do a search for Omneo Comfort and no doubt you will see my posts crop up talking about it.

If you want any more advice about Comfort please pm me - I used it with Woo until he was 12 months old and I truly havent got a bad word to say about it..

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 21:39:18 pm »
We use cow & gate comfort. When we switched from cow & Gate premium for reflux issues I considered SMA stay down but the tin says it's for "significant reflux" which put me off as I wasn't sure if what we were dealing with was "significant". My LO is thriving on the Comfort, (used to be called Omneo Comfort as Helen said) and we use the Dr Brown's bottles too.

Laura

Offline DJs mummy

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 21:43:18 pm »
I don't seem to remember seeing Comfort.  Is it sold alongside all the other formulas?
Hannah now has gastro so the throwing up is terrible!!!  But once she's over this I think we'll give Comfort a go as I'm tired of seeing her constantly spitting up after all her feeds.  Like you said, Laura, I didn't really want to switch to SMA staydown as I don't think Hannah has 'significant reflux', but it's certainly more pukin than I'm happy with  :P 

Thanks everyone.

Offline Lolly

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 21:55:11 pm »
In our Boots the Comfort is on the bottom of the formula shelves! Watch out though as there is a Comfort 1 and Comfort 2  - the 2 is from 6 months I think!

Laura

Offline DJs mummy

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 22:05:02 pm »
Thanks Laura

Offline DJs mummy

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 13:06:43 pm »
Well I went out and bought a tin of Comfort.  Hannah's just had her first feed on it and it kind of went ok.  She didn't take her usual amount, but I'm guessing it may take a little time to get used to the taste.  It tastes quite different to the Aptamil to me.  Fingers crossed this helps her to stop pukin so much!

Offline Lolly

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 14:00:11 pm »
Good luck! It seems very sweet to me :-X. I forgot to say, depending on what size teat you use, you may need to change it as the Comfort is thicker than the ordinary formula. We are using Dr Brown's size 2 (moved up from the no1) but he has gaviscon in his feed as well which also makes it a little thicker.

Laura

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 19:42:30 pm »
Hazel - be aware that when you change to Comfort it will take your LOs system a little while to get used to it. Don't panic if her poo takes on a greenish tinge or she smells eggy or passes wind a lot for a few days.. its perfectly normal and things will soon settle down.

Helen x