Author Topic: back to 3 naps at almost 10 months?  (Read 811 times)

Offline morvayc

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: November 17, 2014, 22:08:16 pm »
So, I have quite the dilemma on my hands, and out of desperation, am wondering if I should go back to 3 naps at almost 10 months old.  My Lo has been waking early for the last three months.  By early, I mean in the 4-5am range.  As a result of this as well as the fact that she short naps quite often, and is in my opinion low sleep needs, we are struggling to even make it to a 630 bedtime.....which I think contributes to the early waking.  She usually only does a 10-10.5hr night.  I feel the only way to resolve this issue is to be able to push back bedtime to 8pm.  When it was advised to me at 7months, that the early waking could be due to the catnap, we worked very hard to get to 2 naps....probably pushing A times too quickly, and ending up in this awful, never ending OT cycle. My question is this.....is the theory that getting rid of the catnap reduces  early waking, because presumably the LO is getting less daytime sleep and will make it up overnight? Or does is have something to do with the time of day that the catnap usually occurs?  For instance, if I gave my LO a catnap at 4pm-430, and she still only totals 2hrs daysleep...which is still on the low end, should it really matter?  Any thoughts, or experience with this would be so appreciated!

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: back to 3 naps at almost 10 months?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 12:35:55 pm »
Personally I wouldn't as that would make the day far too long. NT sleep is far more restorative than 3 short naps.

Actually for us the EW at this age was due to the 2-1 transition and needing to push the first nap later. Some need an early nap but for it to be capped in order to help stop the EW. 2hrs sleep is around average for a LO around 10ths old. A 1.5 hr nap and a 30mins nap would be fine dependant on your easy. Would you mind posting it so we can take a look and advise?

I'll be back in my mo for some links for you x

From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!!

Offline morvayc

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 14:40:10 pm »
Thanks for taking a look kellyjs! I've been through the archives and read about your experience.  It all just sucks, doesn't it? Anyway, I will post my last three days.  I apologize in advance.  There is no schedule to speak of, as I just can't figure her out, and often act out of desperation/frustration. 

4:20-WU
4hrs 30 min-A
1hr5min-S
4hrs5min-A
40min-S
3hrs45min-A
6:25-BT
2:35-NW (ss within a few min.)
4:12-NW (fed/gave meds in case of teeth.....don't usually feed, but sometimes the only way to get her to settle)
5-6:30-S

6:30-WU
3hrs30min-A
1hr10min-S
3hrs25min-A
25min-S
3hrs30min-A
6:30-BT
12:04-NW (ss after 5min)
3:07-NW (slept on and off until 4:34)
4:34-5:37-S

5:37-WU
2hrs25min-A (I know this is quite low, but she seemed so sleepy)
1hr20min-S (who knew?)
3hrs35min-A
30min-S
2hrs30min-A
20min-S
2hrs30min-A
7pm-BT
no NWs
up a 5am

As you can see, we are all over the place, and out of desperation, tried for a third nap yesterday.  We had no NWs, which hasn't happened in some time, however, we still only had a 10 hr night, with a 5am wakeup....which is honestly better than what we've had on 2 naps.

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: back to 3 naps at almost 10 months?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 17:57:56 pm »
We ask that members post their sleep question on only one forum, so that help is not split across the board.  As you've already received some help on the thread in the Nןעיא 'שלןמע forum, I've locked this thread.

Here are the links to the other thread, please could anyone who has advice add it here: LSN or something else?
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/